Is there a wrong time to breed harris?

KenKeeping

I had a phone call the other night, from one of the boys!

It apears that one of the local guys who breeds Barn Owls, has had a couple of pairs of Harris Hawks for a while, and have been having a bit of bad luck with eggs being smashed by the parents.

Not unusual I recon, as too much activity goes on around the birds enclosures!

Well! he had been noticing that this one pair has been going through the motions of mating and trying to find nesting materials, etc.

He had phone the boy who rang me to give him a hand and clean the enclosures out, and when he went in, he noticed that the male was rather agressive with him, and that on closer investigation there was three eggs in the tyre that they had had put there the last time they were tried mating.

He imediatly withdrew and gave them a supply of bedding, which by all accounts they have started using.

My question is, is it not the wrong time of year to have young, or will it be ok?

With his track record, I dont have much faith in them surviving myself though, tell you the truth.

All being said, he has had a load of luck with Barn Owls every year!

Now that makes so much sense MrG sir!

Its as true as true!

As I said in the other topic, there are people out there that just see pennies when they see BOP!

Same as everything these days.

But Ime getting to the fact that the young will suffer in the weather and if the parents will be able to look after it well enough!

just too add t the abovbe I think people are better off breeding aat the correct time ie, as mother nature intended or as near as, mainly due to the birds then getting to the owners in time to be manned , got fit and entered whilst the going is good, I hate seeing young birds left in aviaries for manths on end , so much pointless breeding goes on,

I was assured by the guy who has the Harris', that it wasnt intentional, but then again, he does talk money a lot during conversations about his birds.

tell him to send me one free of charge, that should help him out lol it will get a good hunting home,

When these youngsters are ready for their new homes it could be end of May. They can be trained up and got fit but then what will the new owners do with them. Really difficult to hunt with a new bird at that time of year. Too hot, too much cover and quarry species are still breeding so questionable ethically. Bird sits there and all the attention is on the new owner providing food rather than teaching it to look outwards. Increase's chance of bird screaming and being more difficult to enter later on. Can't say I would want one at that time.

I was assured by the guy who has the Harris', that it wasnt intentional, but then again, he does talk money a lot during conversations about his birds.

tell him to send me one free of charge, that should help him out lol it will get a good hunting home,

You beat me to it Arctic, tell him to send me one as well, then he only has one to worry about.

buy one get one free

nearly like that!

Often you see people offering breeding pairs of birds at only just over the price they are looking for for a single female.

Its gone the same way with Lurchers as well mind I think!

Too many being criss crossed with whatever, and then just not enough GOOD homes for them to go to, so the pups are sold for pennies and end up having a hell of a life with someone who dont uderstand the first thing about their needs!