Get a Mentor?

KenKeeping

Right! You can slam me down for this if you like, but I have been reading post by everyone in reply to questions that Newbies to the BOP world ask.

Especialy when a Newbie asks the best place to start.

A lot of people just say

GET A MENTOR!

In theory its a great answer I recon.

But it is so easy for someone to say to a newbie he will Mentor them, but know little themselves, ending up giving bad advice!

The saying, All the Gear and no Idea, comes to mind.

A Newbie could be led to think that the guy down the road with the two HH's in his garage, that walks through the village every evening with a HH on his arm would be a great help.

But that guy might just be as Unknowlegable as him but can talk the talk, and make out to someone who knows nothing that he knows it all.

Thus giving a load of void advice and ruining the guys chances of getting a good start in the sport.

Can you see where Ime coming from here?

Another thing that Ive wondered, is if a Falcon handler would be the right person to Mentor a new Harris owner?

Saying that as I imagine the managing of the two types of birds would be different, due to the less forgivingness of Falcons.

what your saying has a very valid point but the problem is unless we as falconers choose the mentor for them the newbie will have to use common sense and try to find some one that has a good amount of experiance with the harder birds ie spar or gos. im not saying that some one that has only flown a harris cant be a mentor but common sense should be able to tell you if they would be a good person to learn from look at the anklets ,jesses general equiptment if its in good condition the bird looks healthy and is doing what you would expect then surely that would be a step closer to where youd want to be.

perhaps there could be a sticky for falconers to put themself's up as mentors with there home town or county to try and help people learn the CORRECT way in this brilliant sport.

atb adam

its up to the newbie to do his ground work, read quality books to get an idea of the basics, this in turn should lead to them finding a club to join and suss as to whom is best placed and most likely to help them out in the long run, otherwise they need to be on the look out locally for falconers. To buy a bird without a mentor in place or previous expirience is foolish and likely to end up with the bird suffering and failure.

I think anyone who keeps there birds to a good standard and has a goof ew years under there belt is suitable to give basic advice , however specific advice is often glened form those flying the same sort of birds in ther same manner, mind theres a nation of stuff you cannot learn in falconry without hands on expirience, no book or mentor can be 100% on all matters all birds are individual in temperment and nature,

To be honest I have found falcons far more forgiving than Hawks in nature and manning process, especially Gos and Sparrowhawks, however the twist comes when getting falcons fit and entered, thsi is much easier with a hawk.

Theres a sad lack of mentors about, most find it hard enough flying there own birds and tending to them hard enough without taking on a new starter, I reckon most peopel interested would do well to join a club and spend sometime around birds, get invoved in hunting days etc and its likely if they show the commitment that someone will make them an offer of mentorship.

• Like 1

A few good replies there thanks!

Ive noticed that Harris Hawks are in Vogue with the youngsters lately, as they are easy to get hold of from quick buc making breeders, that will sell to anyone.

They end up being swapped like any other unwanted item after they realise what they left themselves in for, with no consideration for the birds welfare.

It might look cool standing at the corner of the road with your gang looking on, but we all know from what happened with that small boy in a playground recently, when someone classes himself as a Falconer, just cause he has a bird on his arm a couple of times a week.

I would like to think that there are not too many people out there that are looking to take on a BOP, and go to people like this for advice.

Tell you the truth, Ive wondered why it hasnt been brought it!

Its working a treat over in the US!

Ime not quite shure Ime fully impressed wth the fact that they capture their wild BOP for their sport though.

But there again, I imagine it would be nature that decides on the number of BOP thats bred then.

Am I right in thinking that the americans let their birds back into the wild after use?

Would a BOP be able to cope after captivity?

I spos it would!

yes they do release them if they want to move onto another bird.

By keeping the bird for the first season they have kept it alive through the period of highest mortality. It has learnt the hunting skills it requires so if released in a suitable area should be fine.

Thing I have never understood about their system is their choice of birds - redtail or american kestrel. Redtail is a great choice but a kestrel!!

It's true that Harris hawks are cheaper and more readily available today than most other bop's but it's also true that they're more versatile and more easily trained ( both the right way and the wrong way) than other hawks that suit hunting in the U.K. So one reason for their popularity may just be that they are the most suitable for our conditions and prey base. Just as saluki bred lurchers are way ahead of other types for running hares on big land.....whippety types for ferreting etc., popularity sometimes indicates suitability.

• Like 1

It's true that Harris hawks are cheaper and more readily available today than most other bop's but it's also true that they're more versatile and more easily trained ( both the right way and the wrong way) than other hawks that suit hunting in the U.K. So one reason for their popularity may just be that they are the most suitable for our conditions and prey base. Just as saluki bred lurchers are way ahead of other types for running hares on big land.....whippety types for ferreting etc., popularity sometimes indicates suitability.

very asstute post, thety are the most verstaile hunter I have seen in the field, even when only flown weekends and not really fit they can fill a bag, fully fit and I mean jumped daily pre season and flown hard day in day out they become a different class of predator to the usual everyday harris,

totally disagree as most people buy the bird and not one that suits the land or quarry they have available ,if the person looked at the time available,quarry and land they woulds find that a harris doesnt sut them as there is a huge decline in rabbits in the uk .

look how often a beginer gets a faclon ,there is loads of crows around to hunt ,but the beginer doesnt get one because they have not learned of a FALCONER as if they had they would be able to fly a falcon for there first bird with no issue

the cos the harris are so cheap and readdly available they thats why they get them ,do you think they would pay £2k like when they first came into the uk .... i dont think so but will they pay £200 defo

what does that say ..........