Grumpy ferret

we had a few biters in our time, sometimes takes a week or 2 for them to settle in, 2 we picked up a year back was bad biters to the point they would run at you and latch on, with them it was a matter of scruffing and showing who is boss, also when he bit dont put down as he realised he was getting his own way.

sounds like your is nervous so i would get some ferret paste from pet shop, been using it for years or some ferret oil.... they cant snatch and run of with them, what we did was squirt a tiny amount of paste out of tube and in no time he will come over to you, close eyes and do a silly shake.. thats when you give a stroke or 2, after a day or 2 of that pick him up he will soon realise youre not a threat.

everyday we have ours in the house in living room for an hour to run there socks of, have duck soup in kitchen and after 30 or so minutes there all that tired you can pretty much do what you want with them, took me nearlly 6 month t turn nipper around and now shes the best of the bunch, i was told to flick on the nose if they bit but i wouldnt recommend that, at worst i have grabbed by the scruff of neck and gently dragged across the floor and then pick straight back up, doesnt hurt to hiss either as thats what there mum would do...

spend as much time after a belly full,work with him and im sure he will turn around... good luck and all the best steve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are you feeding them? Does he get out in a run daily?   What i would do is give them cat milk etc, whilst hes lappin it up, stroke him. Put some olive oil on your knuckles (clench your fist so

Chuck a full rabbit or pheasant in for him and see how he is with a properly full gut.

Handle him after you have fed him mate he will be a bit sleepy then and calmer

look at this piece of film,,,pause it at 35 seconds in,,,,this is how i held my hob when i got him,,,,,,if you look at the way the girl is holding him,,but imagine the ferret facing her instead of the camera,,,,her thumb would be under one front leg,,across the chest of the ferret,,,and up to its opposite shoulder,the girls fingers would be across its back,,,then taking his weight with the other hand ..this way he cannot bite you,,i tried this with mine and it worked,,,but getting him off the floor was another matter,,,,,i used to pick him up quick and get him into the holding position as quick as i could to avoid a bite,,,,, dont pussyfoot around when you pick him up mate,,coz he will know youre scared of him and it may make him uneasy,,,,just be assertive,,hope this helps,,dave,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrE5JaCFeuc

I find they can still get ya when your thumbs under the front leg, think it works better if your thumbs over the front leg rather than under it with the other leg between your index and middle finger.

I find they can still get ya when your thumbs under the front leg, think it works better if your thumbs over the front leg rather than under it with the other leg between your index and middle finger.

mine struggled to get me,,perhaps i been lucky then,,but this method always worked for me with all mine.....but each to their own way mate..do it whatever way works best for you,,

mine struggled to get me,,perhaps i been lucky then,,but this method always worked for me with all mine.....but each to their own way mate..do it whatever way works best for you,,

sorry bout that cant use the editor thing properly yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but thats my answer to garys post,,,,atb

We had one that was a bugger. Mrs tried everything even resorted to wearing gloves etc. Do you what sorted it? Feretone. Worth every penny as it stopped the biting overnight. Couldnt ask for a nicer ferret now.

Ferretone is so full of chemicals, preservatives and sugars it is not legal to import into UK due to animal welfare standards. Not saying your a dealer :laugh: but best left avoided. Glad your biter turned a corner though. Atb.

No idea whats in it, but it works.

Bought in the UK too.....from the local pet shop. :thumbs:

but each to their own way mate..do it whatever way works best for you

I will ;) , its just a suggestion btw, I'm not tryin to take away from your post or get preachy with you.

....thats ok mate,,i guess the guy will find out which way will suit him best,,,,,,,,hopefully the ferret will come good no matter which method he uses,,atb,,,,,dave
  • Like 1