Grumpy ferret

Haveing some problems here so thought ide ask for some advice. As many of you know i picked up a couple of ferrets at the weekend. Now everythings going well with the jill (able to handle her fine but bit jumpy now and again but doing very well) but the hob has what appears to be a evil streak. Just doesnt want to be handled at all. If you even try to approach him with your hand he goes for blood. Has anyone got any advice for dealing with this? I dont really want to return him hence why i put up this thread. Ive tryed tapping him everytime on the side of the nose everytime he goes for me and so on as advised by the books.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are you feeding them? Does he get out in a run daily?   What i would do is give them cat milk etc, whilst hes lappin it up, stroke him. Put some olive oil on your knuckles (clench your fist so

Chuck a full rabbit or pheasant in for him and see how he is with a properly full gut.

Handle him after you have fed him mate he will be a bit sleepy then and calmer

Try feeding him some treats so he gets used to you putting your hand towards him he will start to gain your trust be patient with him and don't snatch at him sounds like he been miss treated in the past

ive been trying the treats but he just very quickly snatchs them from me and hes off. ive also been useing very calm slow movements around him and havnt attempted to handle him since he took my knuckle. The wierd thing is is there no sighns of aggresion before hand. theres no hissing, fluffing of the fur or backing up :hmm:

You will just have to put more time in and win his trust it's painful with the bites,it's either that or return him bud

i understand these 2 options but i was wondering if anyones had this problem and if theres any tricks of the trade?

I'm by no means an expert with them but if you just got him at the weekend then its early days and it seems as though it'll take time to form some sort of bond with it....just as it does with a dog or any other animal. Go out and see him several times a day maybe offering a small bit of meat so that he associates you with feeding. If it was me personally i wouldn't hit it as it may end up associating you with being hit. As with any animal mate...it takes time to bond. Best of luck :thumbs:

What are you feeding them?

Does he get out in a run daily?

What i would do is give them cat milk etc, whilst hes lappin it up, stroke him. Put some olive oil on your knuckles (clench your fist so he cant gwt grip). Let him lick that, if he goes to bite shout NO, take your hand away and re offer. He will learn that bitin = no treat. Sit on the floor and feed him tiny bits of meat, let him come to you.DONT hit, tap, flick. No need, positive methods mate. And dont act nervous or pull your hand away if he bites push your hand further in his mouth.

• Like 2

What i would do is give them cat milk etc, whilst hes lappin it up, stroke him. Put some olive oil on your knuckles (clench your fist so he cant gwt grip). Let him lick that, if he goes to bite shout NO, take your hand away and re offer. He will learn that bitin = no treat. Sit on the floor and feed him tiny bits of meat, let him come to you.DONT hit, tap, flick. No need, positive methods mate. And dont act nervous or pull your hand away if he bites push your hand further in his mouth.

I wouldnt strictly listen to this. Ferrets are lactose intollerant, so no milk unless it is lactose free. Olive oil to the knuckles isnt a bad idea. Also, when you do pick him up, make sure its round the chest and not by his back legs or tail. He'll feel threatened else. Like he said, positive reinforcement is alot better than negative.

Atb BB

I wouldnt strictly listen to this. Ferrets are lactose intollerant, so no milk unless it is lactose free. Olive oil to the knuckles isnt a bad idea. Also, when you do pick him up, make sure its round the chest and not by his back legs or tail. He'll feel threatened else. Like he said, positive reinforcement is alot better than negative.

Atb BB

thats what i ment when i said ide give it a go mate (oil on the knuckle). The thing is is i cant get to a postion yet where i can pick him up. So far since this morning ive got to the stage where i can stroke him if hes distracted (with oil or treats) but as soon as i start to slip my hand around his chest gently he turns ignoring the treat to bite. Im determind not to give up here.