does a silencer reduce power?

Many years ago when silencers started to become popular on airguns, i remember a debate of sorts that fitting a silencer to an airgun reduced the power. The issue just vanished, and since most people nowdays use silencers, the effect (if any) must have been negligiable. I'm just wandering if anybody knows a definitive answer on the subject, purely out of curiosity?

Guest bsafanman

i have tested this and it seems to have no affect on power on a pcp but it does on a springer and also the heavier the silencer the more it brings the shot down (lower) and no silencer shoots too high it has no affect to make you shoot worse at all so dont even believe that i have tested this and can prove it

i tested the power on my ripley ar5 and on my dastate hunstman(.22) ,with and without sound moderator.power ranges from 6flb right up to 51flb.with the higher power ranges using 30 gr pellets there was a bigger drop in velocity when the silencer was on ,but nothing to drastic.

alsothe rifles zero will alter when removing its moderator(if zeroed with it on) i wont go in to the reason as it gets technical :blink: as for accracy that will stay the same unless the silencer isnt inline with the bore of the barrel.

hi

if you add a silencer it will only take your velocity down by about 10 fps,you wouldnt notice any difference :victory:

asme9

cheers mate, just the answer i was looking for. I didn't think it would make much difference to the speed, just wanted to know if anyone had a definitive answer. :clapping: