My dhgh x dhgh pup ........

Al to true mate i used to enjoy the deerhound very much. Would take roe fox hare rabbit no problem after being converted to the collie type they do the jobs as the big dogs seen it from 22 inches slot wouldn't believe. I enjoy exchange story between lads who have an idea on there dogs. Have you ever own a collie type mate wouldn't mind to have a proper chat with ytry get ur self along the the kelvin valley show a will be there be,hope to see u and ur dogs there :thumbs:

In my experience deerhound x's don't require years to mature to be able to work. It's becoming a bit of a THL "fact" that's trotted out be everyone, even those that have never worked this cross or seen one work. (Much like the beddy whippets regularly dropping fallow "fact") They won't and shouldn't be working at 6 months but by 9 months to a year should be having easy lamped bunnies and be wanting to chase. The need for them to grow slowly without undue strain is paramount but they don't need holding back until 18 months before they do anything. My old 1st cross dog was regularly taking fox at 18 months. I was a young man and lived in London, I had plenty of time and there were plenty of foxes.

My current 5/8 x 3/8 dog had his first lamped bunny at 9 months and has done plenty since. I had him out from an early age, shooting, fishing and mooching but didn't let him do anything other than peg some squirrels and rabbits that I'd shot. He's only just turned 2 but hasn't been a puppy for a long while. Physically he has only just started to fill out and take the shape of an adult dog.

With regards to collie x's having more brains and starting earlier, in my experience this isn't the case. Back in the day, bull x's were a rare thing, you either had a collie x or a deerhound x if you were after fox and deer. A collie doesn't have any more brains than a deerhound in my opinion and a deerhound x is easy going without the tendency of some collie x's to back away from teeth. I sometimes wonder if people confuse a dogs biddable nature with intelligence. :thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a lot of it comes down to the individual and which type of dog they get on best with. I'm breed blind, I'll admit it. I get out with blokes who've got some superb bull x's, they impress me wit

what age will these pups be now     ashas two

to be honest theres alot beter folk on here to ask about comparing the two crosses than me all is a can say the 4 dh gh dogs a have had the plesure to own have all started young on big and small game.

Posted Images

In experiances had before i find a collie type to out do a deerhound but i am not noking the deerhound type excellent dogs yes. Be good to start a topic and maybe a poll on the situation and find more views. But it will get waisted by stupid comments. Atb

In experiances had before i find a collie type to out do a deerhound but i am not noking the deerhound type excellent dogs yes. Be good to start a topic and maybe a poll on the situation and find more views. But it will get waisted by stupid comments. Atb

I think a lot of it comes down to the individual and which type of dog they get on best with. I'm breed blind, I'll admit it. I get out with blokes who've got some superb bull x's, they impress me with how well they work, I've seen some relentless saluki types take deer and hare, electric quick whippets hoover rabbits up and collie x's do everything that was asked of them but I wouldn't want any percentage of these breeds blood in my dogs. They each have traits that I find undesirable. This is just my opinion. Maybe I'm lazy but I like an easy life.

I get on best with a deerhound x greyhound. I don't want a deer grey saluki whippet x beddy mal bull grey or whatever over concoctions are available. Am I restricting/limiting myself? Maybe, but I'm not aware if it. My dog will work daytime, lamp, ferret, retrieve to the gun, swim, jump, turns well enough to pick up bunnies, is steady to all stock, is chilled out and my mate. I don't need any more from him. I know his limitations but don't feel the need to get another dog with different blood to compensate for anything he lacks.

This is probably true for owners of all the other breeds I've mentioned. My dog isn't better than a collie x or a bull x or a saluki x or any other x, he's just better for me.

• Like 8

I think a lot of it comes down to the individual and which type of dog they get on best with. I'm breed blind, I'll admit it. I get out with blokes who've got some superb bull x's, they impress me with how well they work, I've seen some relentless saluki types take deer and hare, electric quick whippets hoover rabbits up and collie x's do everything that was asked of them but I wouldn't want any percentage of these breeds blood in my dogs. They each have traits that I find undesirable. This is just my opinion. Maybe I'm lazy but I like an easy life.

I get on best with a deerhound x greyhound. I don't want a deer grey saluki whippet x beddy mal bull grey or whatever over concoctions are available. Am I restricting/limiting myself? Maybe, but I'm not aware if it. My dog will work daytime, lamp, ferret, retrieve to the gun, swim, jump, turns well enough to pick up bunnies, is steady to all stock, is chilled out and my mate. I don't need any more from him. I know his limitations but don't feel the need to get another dog with different blood to compensate for anything he lacks.

This is probably true for owners of all the other breeds I've mentioned. My dog isn't better than a collie x or a bull x or a saluki x or any other x, he's just better for me.

Brilliant post!

Brilliant post!

Have to agree with that :yes:

Holly shit. Heard it all till now. Collies are underrated. And my encounters of deerhound isint as impressive as people make them out. You like what you like and thats it

was u know going to line mia way a dh x ????

Holly shit. Heard it all till now. Collies are underrated. And my encounters of deerhound isint as impressive as people make them out. You like what you like and thats it

was u know going to line mia way a dh x ????

key word there (was) what do deerhounds do collie x or beddy x dont do or any other cross thats why a said you like what you like and thats it

• 2 weeks later...

two pups av got are rough coated bitch more than the dog,not realy herd much about the other pups,the dog pups taking it a bit sare from the 3 bitches most of the time its the older bitch his dam thats starting the carry on some lauph she goes on like shes a pup hur self lol