hi everybody im after some advise. some months back my collie bull grey developed a nasty round sore on his front right leg it was very agressive and round in shape and bigger than a 50p coin. i took him vets and he gave me a course of clavucill anti-biotics as he said it was an infected wound. he had 2 courses of tablets which lasted 4 weeks. the sore didnt get any better so back to the vets i went and was seen by the same vet which then said it could be mange!. So he gave him a spot on solution of advocate and a few weeks later sore was still there so back to the vets again and i saw the main vet who inspected my dog with a woods lamp and found ringworm spores allover him. bare in mind hes been on anti biotics and mange treatment for nearly 2 months when really its ringworm that he has. He gave me a anti fungal wash called imaverol which i use every 3 days and have been doing so for months now, it clears the lesions up but then it spreads and in no time hes coverd in it. been back to the vets told him it wasnt improving so he gave me some anti fungal tablets called nizarol which he has been on for last 7 weeks, hes not getting any better its allover his face and tail and i bet its cost me over 400quid in costs. its that bad now its inside his nose so hes all bunged up and cant breathe properly. ive tried everything including barbicide wash. Im going the vets in the morning as i think they are more than responsible for this due to misdiagnosing the problem at the begining. poor lad is suffering and hes not been out in ages, ive done everything to help him i wash bedding every 3 days, still using imaverol wash which cures the lesions but then another 1 comes up. worse his on his face he is covered in bald circular patches. Do you think ive got a case against the vet for misdiagnosing the problem twice?? the way i see it he had ringworm from when the sore started on his front leg then he has gone untreated for 2 months before they even checked for ringworm. Please help as im running out of ideas and my dog is suffering. Thanks

If the anti fungal is easing the problem then a fungal cause is likely to be a least partly responsible.

First I would ask why the dog is having such a bad case, is it having an autoimmune problem? Have you any other dogs? If so are they affected? Are any family members affected? Its an easily treated problem in most healthy individuals so as the vet whats causing the degree of infection? I think about bloods to check white cell count as a first step, full autoimmune profile if you want to spend money

Second how is it getting re infected? Are you washing/changing all bedding excreta during treatment? Selsun shampoo , over the counter at the chemist, to wash plastic dog beds, soak blankets, scrub for kennel areas etc.

PS reduce stress as much as possible. If its immune system is compromised or its just susceptible don't breed from it.

Good luck n

Edited by sandymere