cocker spaniel trainning help

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh i love me cockers Dazz lol particularly this one       She's the foundation of all my current stock 14 1/2 years old now , doesn't look much does she ?? Here she is on her way to winning the

hi see a few of my films of my dog doing a bit of training.     can see more on my youtube profile.

ok thanks anywayi'll just stick in there then !

Posted Images

how old is the pup?

you start training from a puppy, boundrys ect, then go on from there. just little and often. keep any training sort and swwet 5 mins or so. and rember exercise is about 30 mins. till nearer to 12months old.

i would not be expecting to have the pup steady to sit stay at a cupple months old, but you can get the pup interested in dummys with scent on, play with the pup around you feet, and to teach it to stay around or close to you when pup runs off shout AAAAHHHHHH and give the pup a little shake (dont beat it) and repeat and repeat, slowly the dog gets the idea aaaahhhh is bad and dont do it. my latest dog is 2 and stilll use aaaahhhh now and he remembers it.

and keep moving on to diffrent things play with tennis balls and encourage the pup to bring it back to you and over praise when the ball back make a massive fuss showing its good to bring things back to dad, that tipe of thing, they all learn diffrently.. all of mine have been diffrent. some pick things up quicker than others. it took my 2 months to teach one cocker the stop whistle at 9/10 months i think. 5 mins aday and week on week he was getting better and better

Now pal, don`t know what back ground your from, Lurchers i presume ? Slip and run/kill anything brigade, or the trained all round mouching dog.

Your entry and goals for your dog will probably differ.

My self progressed through the ranks of Lurchers in the same era of the then younger Phil Lloyd and the famous Minshaws Blue Lurcher !!.Reaching the pinnacle of my sport entering and winning the various Lurcher obedience competitions.

Now working gundogs and trials is my game ( yes in that order ).

So Moving on to your Cocker situation,if you have decent common sense and basic understanding of canines, by all means move into the gundog world.The good thing about the gundog world is that there are not as many variables as in the lurcher working world.It`s pritty much the case that you will find a dog that will suit your needs, retrievers for retrieving,spaniels for hunt,flush, then retrieve.Just like all working dogs,they function on prey drive.

If you do not have access to glean knowledge from an unbiased trialing man for the best lines for your needs,you will have a long task ahead of you finding the right dog to start of with.For example you won`t want a hot / hard going dog for your first project. Oh yes it does matter ! The amount of clowns out there who don`t understand a pedigree is unbelievable,so do your homework,select from lines of easily trained parents,all because it`s got Ftch in it`s pedigree does not mean it was easy to train.

There are Gundog people and people who also bluff under the same banner,just like the lurcher world,

Gud luck !

As this very informative forum operates under pseudonyms,i would not abuse this position for possible financial gain.If a person can gain knowledge from the reply`s i post then that`s a job well done !.Also what lines work for me does`nt mean they will work for you.

Regards K.

As this very informative forum operates under pseudonyms,i would not abuse this position for possible financial gain.If a person can gain knowledge from the reply`s i post then that`s a job well done !.Also what lines work for me does`nt mean they will work for you.

Regards K.

financial gain ??? i was just curious as i have cockers myself and don't live too far from you .

i get the feeling you have no idea you have just made a bit of a fool of yourself (camokev64)??? AH well us mear mortals will just have to "STICK IN THERE",

and here's me thinking it was just lurcher lads who like to blow there own trumpet.

but i surpose that proves you right as ive learned somthing from your post's....

Timber how's your cocker love?? they looked pritty usefull the last time i saw em haha must be all that LUUUURRRRRVE

Edited by dazzz