Which fac air rifle?

ol26

Hi there, now I know that this has probably been posted more than a few times before! But I would be interested to hear a few thoughts on the current view of fac air rifles. I've shot air rifles some 20 odd years starting with the classic BSA super sport, then hw97 and later a daystate harrier all in .22, currently shooting a hw100 in.177. Up until about 4 years ago I was pretty up to date with the state of affairs with air guns but ventured into the world of rifles with a lot of my shooting over the last couple of years done with a .17hmr - a sako quad.

I have a slot on my ticket for an fac 22 air rifle and to be fair have missed my air rifle shooting! I've been looking at options again recently and was supposed to see that theoben had gone bust as the rapid always used to be one of the staple fac air rifles!

Now... What to consider... A used rapid? Splash out on a daystate.. Air arms s410 or 510 and the tc??

Things certainly have changed since I last looked!

I'm hw100 is in mint condition with a 8-32x 56 swat scope on it, though its an older model, a mk2 so I was told at a ft club a while back, slightly different internals than the current ones, but the guy as the club though the gun was a very nice example, value? Not sure !

Ideally looking to part x or swap depending on what's available so of any of you have any thoughts, recommendations or know of any fac air rifles up for sale/swap to include a hw100 and possibly a 22 webley Alecto with a lazer to sweeten the deal let me know

Cheers

Hi there, now I know that this has probably been posted more than a few times before! But I would be interested to hear a few thoughts on the current view of fac air rifles. I've shot air rifles some 20 odd years starting with the classic BSA super sport, then hw97 and later a daystate harrier all in .22, currently shooting a hw100 in.177. Up until about 4 years ago I was pretty up to date with the state of affairs with air guns but ventured into the world of rifles with a lot of my shooting over the last couple of years done with a .17hmr - a sako quad.

I have a slot on my ticket for an fac 22 air rifle and to be fair have missed my air rifle shooting! I've been looking at options again recently and was supposed to see that theoben had gone bust as the rapid always used to be one of the staple fac air rifles!

Now... What to consider... A used rapid? Splash out on a daystate.. Air arms s410 or 510 and the tc??

Things certainly have changed since I last looked!

I'm hw100 is in mint condition with a 8-32x 56 swat scope on it, though its an older model, a mk2 so I was told at a ft club a while back, slightly different internals than the current ones, but the guy as the club though the gun was a very nice example, value? Not sure !

Ideally looking to part x or swap depending on what's available so of any of you have any thoughts, recommendations or know of any fac air rifles up for sale/swap to include a hw100 and possibly a 22 webley Alecto with a lazer to sweeten the deal let me know

Cheers

ive got a mk 1 rapid but its in .20cal can be set between 12 and 42 ft ilbs and im only down the A5 :laugh:

Any opinions on the fx range?

Not really the FX, but the closest family maybe? ;) Webley Axcor or the Logun Solo? I had them both, axcor 8 shot with 28 footpound and the Solo single shot 26 footpound. Deadly accurate and good triggerd guns :thumbs: Put one of the aftermarket regulators in it and you have 35 good shots.

If I had to choose an FX it would be the Gladiator double air.

Edited by targa

Don't go for anything but a buddy bottle rifle - the shot count from a cylinder will be very low.

Rapid is bomb proof and gives very good efficiency of air - plenty of people able to tweek them to be super quiet and air efficient. Rugged, reliable and cheap and easy to service. A good mk1 is a very good rifle when set up right - easier to set up right than a mk2 as well. A quick fill adaptor is a worthwhile addition if you are using it a lot - otherwise you have to take the bottle off to fill it (second bottle another way round it, always have one full!)

.20 at 24ft-lbs = 65 spot on shots per fill from 180 - 125bar with a 16" barrel. If you want more, it can go to 30ft-lbs with absolute accuracy, but drops the shot count by half. :icon_eek: A 19" barrel puts it back up again, but then starts to make the gun too long.

Rapid 7 or Air Ranger can be made to do 60ft-lbs in .22 - the Ranger is only a copy of the rapid to all intents and purposes. Used FAC Rapids are reasonably priced because of the limited market to sell them to. Don't rush, there are plenty of good ones out there.

• Like 1

Don't go for anything but a buddy bottle rifle - the shot count from a cylinder will be very low.

Rapid is bomb proof and gives very good efficiency of air - plenty of people able to tweek them to be super quiet and air efficient. Rugged, reliable and cheap and easy to service. A good mk1 is a very good rifle when set up right - easier to set up right than a mk2 as well. A quick fill adaptor is a worthwhile addition if you are using it a lot - otherwise you have to take the bottle off to fill it (second bottle another way round it, always have one full!)

.20 at 24ft-lbs = 65 spot on shots per fill from 180 - 125bar with a 16" barrel. If you want more, it can go to 30ft-lbs with absolute accuracy, but drops the shot count by half. :icon_eek: A 19" barrel puts it back up again, but then starts to make the gun too long.

Rapid 7 or Air Ranger can be made to do 60ft-lbs in .22 - the Ranger is only a copy of the rapid to all intents and purposes. Used FAC Rapids are reasonably priced because of the limited market to sell them to. Don't rush, there are plenty of good ones out there.

spot on that mate plus with .20 once you get past 30ft-lbs then pellet choice becomes a big issue as theres not many weighty pellets available.

Daystate Huntsman in .22 ! Cheapest rifle in there range but a high quallity rifle above so many competitors ! 20 shots in the field is more than enough for 99% of shooters and the huntsman will give you 30, or go huntsman XL and get even more. keep it light and comfortable to carry ! No need for big bottles.

ATB

Matt