Most memorable shot

Hi All

Just seen a great thread on the airgunning forum, so i thought i would cheekily copy it and see what you guy's had to say on the matter.

Here's mine.

Back when i was around 14-15, i had my trusty old hw77 .22 full length that was my perfect hunting tool, that was until i decided that it needed a new ox mainspring as at that age all i wanted was more power in my gun. With very little knowledge on the finer points of tuning a air weapon, me a shooting buddy went about stripping the hw 77down put in the new spring along with bucket loads of grease thinking we would end up with a super powerful recoil free supergun. Unsurprisingly, i didn’t. It certainly felt smooth, but then with that amount of grease inside, it wasn’t surprising. Off to my back garden for some plinking to zero up then straight into the field for some stalking. When taking the zero shots, it seemed every third to forth shot, there was somewhat of a delay between pulling the trigger and the sear releasing to actually fire the shot. At the tender age that i was, this was just deemed a minor mishap and by this point, the afternoon summer sun had just lost it's fierce heat and the wild was calling me and my mate to go stalking for some rabbits lazing in the afternoon sun. We made our way through my back garden and out the field at the back for 1000yard walk that would end at a beautiful spot of woodland that was my permission in those good old days.

We slowly stalked around the far side of the woods to where there was an apple orchard and in the evening you would always find a few rabbits enjoying the last few rays of summer sun before it went dark.

This time was no different.

As we approached the corner that led into this orchard paradise, i silently motioned to my friend that i could see at least half a dozen rabbits feeding in ignorant bliss of the potential danger that lurked around this corner. So as i get into position and select the biggest buck that’s feeding away without a care in the world. I line up the 30/30 reticule a few inch’s above the rabbits head and slowly squeeze the trigger. nothing. The rifle had not fired. My friend is looking at me with a look of distinct confusion. On realising that the 77 has not fired, i release it from my shoulder and look at it momentarily. Then phut!!! it goes off while i am still cradling it but with my head looking sideways at the rifle and no where near the back end of the scope.

My friend shouts at me, 'You got it!!!'. With that i look down range, and that tricky 40 yard stander off a rabbit is lying on it's back stone dead. On examination, a perfect head shot.

Fond memories that I will never forget.

ATB

when i was a kid i owned a weirauch 80 and shot a bloody herring gull whilst it flew over the house i legged it inside and peeped out the window to see a nieghbour scratching his head as it landed on his cortina whilst cleaning it ! i never owned up -billy

• Like 4

What is wrong with shooting pheasants with an air rifle? I do it whenever I get the chance! They taste nice!

I had a good one today, no shots fired but 9 nice fat wood pigeons bought home!

Two shotgunners were roost shooting outside the wood I shoot at. They were effectively stopping the flocks roosting, so to make up they left me 9 nice woodies!

Make that 10 woodies! The worst pellet damage was 2 holes in a few breasts, most were clear of pellets though!

Edited by secretagentmole

My very first ever kill with an air rifle. 25-30 yard headshot sparrow off the the rooftop of our house from the back lawn when I was a nipper of 8 years old. And it was a standing shot with open sights. Webley MkIII .22. I still remember it made a big mess of its head. It was a beauty of an air rifle that.

Makes me cringe when I think of how I happily shot with this thing with no real concern for where the shot could go if I missed...till my dad tanned my arse for it! :icon_eek::icon_redface: The bird population was safe after that.

But I'd say that was still a cracking shot for a little lad! ;)