.177 sub 12 or .22.....22FPE FAC.?

Just been musing about the pros and cons of sub 12 .177 or .22 FAC. is it worth the hassle of going for a sec 1 ticket? :hmm: Remember once granted as long as the ground is safe enough you can have a rimfire on the land.. but lets have a look at the figures for what kind of variables are shown at 35 yards shooting a .177 sub 12fpe shooting a 8.0 G pellet at 800 fps,which is doing 11.38 FPE.

a .22 FAC shooting a 16G pellet at 800 FPS which is doing..........22.38FPE.

Now then at 35 yards the .177 is doing 650fps for a 7.5 FPE total.

At 35 yards the .22 is doing 690 fps for a 16.9 FPE total.

notice as well that the .22 is holding a touch more velocity than the 177.

I am a great believer that sub 12 fpe rifles should be upped to about 16FPE for adult owners as lets face it you have more chance of only wounding at ranges where the sub 12 is striking at 35 yards and more. Before anyone jumps in and says they allways take brain shots at 35 yards remember, not every shooter has a bipod and can guarantee a 1" kill zone. many , myself included have to shoot from a standing, a resting position or a kneeling position. So, My conclusion?? FAC levels please. What do you fellers think? :hmm:

this upping the power to avoid injury is a downfall of many a hunter.. a CZ with them red tipped bullets can still wound..

if i was going FAC air i'd get a rapid or similar large cylinder gun and up it to nearer the 40fp in .22 or 17-18fp in 1.77.. or even go sonic.(depend's on the pellet).

you still have to hit the spot mind.

• Like 1

Ive just got my firearms and the bonus of me having an FAC air would that my FAC air is open ticket and my rimmys are closed, so if i want to go and do a job for someone and the land hasnt been authed by the police i cant use my rimmys (until they auth the land), but i can take FAC air and decide for myself there and then if its safe to shoot - i think this is quite common for first tickets

ATB

Adam

• Like 1

just had another thought, if your not hitting at 35 how can you hit at the 100? so would there be any point going FAC at all?

Who said anyone was missing at 35 yards? where did anyone talk of hitting at 100 yards? are you reading the op at all? :blink:

Ive had rimfires, shotguns, and FAC airweapons for many years and would never attempt to shoot rabbits at 100 yards with a FAC air rifle because it would only be luck for a pellet to hit it in a kill area. your preferance for a 40FPE rifle even over 70 yards would require 13.5 inches holdover I havent the figures for holdover at 100 yards allthough a .22 21G pellet travelling at 950 FPS would be pushing out 42.09 FPE would certainly have enough retained energy to kill a rabbit at 100 yards. Holdover would probally be in excess of 18 inches. I would think that at that range more rabbits would be missed entirely or wounded, so I wouldnt even try to shoot at that range.

Ive had rimfires, shotguns, and FAC airweapons for many years and would never attempt to shoot rabbits at 100 yards with a FAC air rifle because it would only be luck for a pellet to hit it in a kill area. your preferance for a 40FPE rifle even over 70 yards would require 13.5 inches holdover I havent the figures for holdover at 100 yards allthough a .22 21G pellet travelling at 950 FPS would be pushing out 42.09 FPE would certainly have enough retained energy to kill a rabbit at 100 yards. Holdover would probally be in excess of 18 inches. I would think that at that range more rabbits would be missed entirely or wounded, so I wouldnt even try to shoot at that range.

does it fit in the scope? then it can be hit.. i shoot out to 80 yards (82 on a tape measure) for plinking fun in .177 @11.4fp's.. i dont shoot live at them ranges any more, because after a while it starts to creep on out to 100..110.. hitting a woody at 200 yards is more than posable, but killing it clean not...

seems its only down to 2 things, target barrels n tunes with a pellet that is capable and the shooters skill leval.

i was taking rabbits at 65 yards on lamp regular, by mistake after just auto adjusting for the range, furthest mistake being 72 yards, i marked up on a tree for t he max, lamp on and sighted the next tree 'mark' along, missed and then nailed it one..11.4fps here..

i'm a bit rusty at the mo, but last time out (14 month ago) i dropped 4 pigions, all over 40 yard, all just on auto..its isnt hitting thats the problem, its having enough power arriving for the distance.(not to confuse it with getting more power to kill better cuz somebody cant hit 40 yards..or 35 or what ever).

standard guns will one hole group at the 50 if theyre strapped in...or so brags all the manufacturers of barrels etc..

springers are actualy more consistant than pcp's as far as straight out the box goes, mt old rapid can get to a 2fps varrience max shot to shot with strings of 1 fps..out the box guns are looking at 5fpps shot sgot is good, with 10-15 being nothing uncomen.

now weight the pellets...reg it.. target barrel, jeez a lot of folks are on bi pods lolol!

my point being halve your distance for bad set ups basically. tuther is a lot of shooters are more than capable, and the guns today are far better than they used to be as a standard.

hense yes, fac for further distance. (if you can hit it, gun allowing or skill allowing).

number one thing i see day to day is how everyone installs all the little paranoa's, all the doubts, all the exscuses for clouding up the mind and braking the asperasion of any individual daft enough to listen to 'how you carnt do it'.........yes yu can! dohhhhh.

Edited by ghillies
  • Like 1

Well your far too good a shot for me, the furthest rabbits I have shot has been at a measured 54 yards plenty more up to 40 yards plus. all though by me having a handy tree or fence to steady my rifle. a few pigeons at 60 yards plus. again all with a 23FPE pc rifle. I would pay £100 cash to see you hit a woodie at 200 yards with one shot, and I bet plenty more on here would pay to see you do it. I couldnt I am afraid even with 23FPE to play with. Hey ghillies heres your chance to make a bit of extra Xmas money, you hit a woodie at 200 yards and you win the £100. miss it! and you pay me the £100.00 I cant be fairer than that. :toast:

• Like 1

You are right on that one Ghillies, I have extreme difficulty in getting back to my feet after lying down to take some shots, I am still recovering after 2 big heart operations the last one this year.I am no longer alas the shooter I was when I was a international and shot for my country. In those days I could pull off shots that seemed impossible. all my yesterdays now I am afraid. as I am now a coffin dodger! :cray:

You are right on that one Ghillies, I have extreme difficulty in getting back to my feet after lying down to take some shots, I am still recovering after 2 big heart operations the last one this year.I am no longer alas the shooter I was when I was a international and shot for my country. In those days I could pull off shots that seemed impossible. all my yesterdays now I am afraid. as I am now a coffin dodger! :cray:

i'm the same at the mo..waiting for ME to feck off..bin a 7 year stint now to vrying degree's, from bed to chair bound and moments where i nearly couldnt be arse to get to the loo for some serious watery trots..

it's hell of a embarising when i get stuck on my knee's, so a big yup, stuff prone on the ground lol. i have learned to sit around though....

mustle n mind loss i think, the memery knows what was, but then finds owch! why it no do it!!

edit, did you ever meet one of them doubting nellies? yu cant hit that its too far, you'll never hit in tht caliber so on and so on? hehehe wapped it everytime, then..ohhh, but its not the right caliber for hunting blah blah...i often detested being polite to some of them lol.

i was even told 25 yards is the maximum in that calibre... so i showed him how to unshoulder and knock out a maggie in under a second hehehe at 25!! twats.

take it easy bud..recover yourself first, then, yu never know, you may well find your shootings still there.

Edited by ghillies