Working Bedlingtons 2005

Why specific the hight of a dog morton. A dog is governed where it can go by the girth of its chest it's long legs will tuck behind as you obviously know. and alun you did the same in your post why and I was talking of dogs of today in my first post not a dog of the 70s like am in the understanding now that there are no pure working beddys just the cart horses of today which couldn't get up a 12" pipe and as for catching squatting hares on a more my mates partially blind 12 yearold spaniel caught one squatting in a forest fact. And big alun if you are stupid enough to leave a man put a dog in behind urs then I class you as a clown there will be no more further comments from me regarding this topic good luck with the shows

I mentioned the dogs height to show a point,not all Bedlingtons are bred from big and throw such,catching hares on a moor was to show another point about their versatility,nothing more.Plus it was me that had a terrier backed up by another,another point is i was not there,my lad,a youngster at the time was out with a supposed more experienced terrierman that released his own dog after the Beddy had entered.The biggest threat to the Bedlington as a grafter is the nuggets that breed some of them,the next is the nuggets that see the Bedlington as the whipping boy of the terrier world based on their own ignorance and prejudice "ive never seen a good un" thus there cannot be any,others have seen the odd "good un" and have a more open minded outlook on working terriers.Many a working terrier hunter now,especially with the restrictions they find themselves under,are tossing in the towel,the versatile nature of the Bedlington and its less profile appearance would make for another hunting option before quitting the game,it will not suit some,a fact not lost on many of us,yet it will suit some,if given the chance away from the prejudice and ignorance of the few.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Morton in a recent post you say all your terriers are bred with earth work in mind,then in the same post you also say that yours are bred to bolt fox and that you actually passed on a couple that became digging dogs.Not picking or anything but in my eyes an earth dog is a terrier that stays the distance no matter what the conditions may be,not just a bolter,just curious or do your terriers stay until dug if a bolt does not occur,also good to see a different breed apart from the usual doing the buisness.

I work a lot of rocks that cannot be breached,plus i want the fox to vacate its underground lair.The vast majority of the work all my terriers see is ratching about on top and pushing cover for the waiting gun etc.A terrier that better suits a digging kennel is wasted with me and becomes a working liability,at times,a terrier that becomes a proficient bolter and only as to be dug to far less frequently is my working terrier of choice,thus i breed and kennel accordingly.My lads main Beddy now bushes with aplomb,bolts any fox that wishes to bolt and as to be dug to at speed,or the fox is dead,i prefer his sister that works as well on top and is a better bolter below,its rare the shovel or bar comes out with her,her mother and grandmother worked the same way.

• Like 3

Why specific the hight of a dog morton. A dog is governed where it can go by the girth of its chest it's long legs will tuck behind as you obviously know. and alun you did the same in your post why and I was talking of dogs of today in my first post not a dog of the 70s like am in the understanding now that there are no pure working beddys just the cart horses of today which couldn't get up a 12" pipe and as for catching squatting hares on a more my mates partially blind 12 yearold spaniel caught one squatting in a forest fact. And big alun if you are stupid enough to leave a man put a dog in behind urs then I class you as a clown there will be no more further comments from me regarding this topic good luck with the shows

I mentioned the dogs height to show a point,not all Bedlingtons are bred from big and throw such,catching hares on a moor was to show another point about their versatility,nothing more.Plus it was me that had a terrier backed up by another,another point is i was not there,my lad,a youngster at the time was out with a supposed more experienced terrierman that released his own dog after the Beddy had entered.The biggest threat to the Bedlington as a grafter is the nuggets that breed some of them,the next is the nuggets that see the Bedlington as the whipping boy of the terrier world based on their own ignorance and prejudice "ive never seen a good un" thus there cannot be any,others have seen the odd "good un" and have a more open minded outlook on working terriers.Many a working terrier hunter now,especially with the restrictions they find themselves under,are tossing in the towel,the versatile nature of the Bedlington and its less profile appearance would make for another hunting option before quitting the game,it will not suit some,a fact not lost on many of us,yet it will suit some,if given the chance away from the prejudice and ignorance of the few.
Chris so why do you keep and breed hybrids if you think the bedlington is such a viable terrier atb

Chris so why do you keep and breed hybrids if you think the bedlington is such a viable terrier atb

Easy one to answer Coco,the hybrids are a better example of the Original,in type and working character than anything else out there,as a rule.Without the hybrid there would be far less probability of once more having a working terrier that is suited to the name and original purpose,the original purpose was never to make the KC richer and for their stewardship to steer it so far away from its working heritage and type.

• Like 3

Easy one to answer Coco,the hybrids are a better example of the Original,in type and working character than anything else out there,as a rule.Without the hybrid there would be far less probability of once more having a working terrier that is suited to the name and original purpose,the original purpose was never to make the KC richer and for their stewardship to steer it so far away from its working heritage and type.
so if your happy with the hybrid Bedlington why do you still find it hard to find good hard digging studs there are plenty about but the real bedlington are sadly very hard to find atb

Coco

so if your happy with the hybrid Bedlington why do you still find it hard to find good hard digging studs there are plenty about but the real bedlington are sadly very hard to find atb

Mole265 wrote

Can you bedlington enthusiasts put up some photo of working type bedlingtons and or hybrids that are bred as near to the old stuff as possible.

Coco

Mole265 wrote

Can you bedlington enthusiasts put up some photo of working type bedlingtons and or hybrids that are bred as near to the old stuff as possible.

look through this forum page mate my old dogs are on there atb

coco

Today, 09:08 PM

Coco

Mole265 wrote

look through this forum page mate my old dogs are on there atb

Mole265 wrote

Thanks coco I'll do that atb.

• 1 month later...

Well this has given me sum great reading if nothing else :-) anyway I pick my pup up in 2 weeks hes not kc but a Bedlington Rillington on fathers side with granitor in the pedigree and minkstone granitor gutchcommon on the dam. I have seen both parents work above and below as well as the Rillington grandsire all of which r great dogs. I plan on working cover ratting and earth work if possible am expecting between 14-16" max in height but I have a beddi x saluki whip so the working cover is also gona b greatly needed.

Well this has given me sum great reading if nothing else :-) anyway I pick my pup up in 2 weeks hes not kc but a Bedlington Rillington on fathers side with granitor in the pedigree and minkstone granitor gutchcommon on the dam. I have seen both parents work above and below as well as the Rillington grandsire all of which r great dogs. I plan on working cover ratting and earth work if possible am expecting between 14-16" max in height but I have a beddi x saluki whip so the working cover is also gona b greatly needed.

As you say he is not KC and the majority of his breeding is where do you go from there?.All the best with the Beddy and i seriously hope it all works out in your favour, i just wish working Beddy owners would do a little more research at times and put the extra effort in,at times.

• Like 1

Not really sure what u mean although he is not kc the owner has working pedigrees amd hes pritty well known man he is a pal of mine and owns the parents and has been breedimg and working his strain for over 30 years he puts alot of thort into his breeding and decisions he has made ect his dogs do exactly what he says and is not a bullshiter at all. Hopefully my pup comes on and does what I Need I am not getting him for breeding ect unless he made the grade and sum1 wanted to use him.

Not really sure what u mean although he is not kc the owner has working pedigrees amd hes pritty well known man he is a pal of mine and owns the parents and has been breedimg and working his strain for over 30 years he puts alot of thort into his breeding and decisions he has made ect his dogs do exactly what he says and is not a bullshiter at all. Hopefully my pup comes on and does what I Need I am not getting him for breeding ect unless he made the grade and sum1 wanted to use him.

He is KC and all his pedigree says such,the best working Beddy ive ever owned was more KC than anything else,that was a long time ago before the breed became fecked with KC,hopefully yours will stand up for the breed.Who bred it?,drop me a pm.

In all the pages on this thread arguing about KC V's Hyrid V's this dog and that line. This man did this and they're not that bullshite

Are there any digging bedlington types out there anywhere?????? Or should they go with Unicorns in the dictionary?

• Like 1