falconry question needing an answer

stubby

hi all,

the pest control firm that I work for, covers the pest management contract for london underground, we have four night techs, which I'm one of, and two day techs that run the falconry section, flying the birds in train depots

now my manager called me a few days ago, saying he had the deal of a lifetime for me, as I'm known within the firm to do lots of country sports,

he said the management wanted to send me on a falconry course, pay for an aviary/mews to be built in my garden, and give me one of the harris hawks, and that I would have full use of the bird for my own, as long as I covered three weeks per year when the day guys take holidays

at first I accepted, thinking it would be great, but then had different thoughts, what little I know about falconry and using the birds, they need daily interaction, feeding,weighing?, and flying, therefore more work for me, not so bad you may say, but it also ties me to being at home every day, at this moment in time Im in the process of buying some woodland, and had planned on spending whole weekends there in the summer times, camping,working,shooting etc, and of course having a hawk at home would put a stop to that idea, wouldn't it?????

I explained all this to my boss, who could see my point, but is still adamant I could learn falconry, without having a hawk at home, and thus still cover the three weeks a year, is that a sensible solution????

I thought that with falconry you needed to build up trust with the bird being flown, or could you walk upto a previously unknown bird and fly it for a week here or there??

answers to the questions with ??? after them please

can you not just take a bird home for the 3 weeks your going to cover, other than that the odd day of two out with one of the falconers will give you the confidence you need as the bird will be already fully trained and at flying weight so all you will need to do is maintain its weight and fly it :thumbs:

if you keep a hawk yourself take it to the woodland with you .... if you peg it out all day it wont mind sleeping in its transport box on a night (hawkers do this when at field meets)

and harris hawks are one of the easiest birds to handle and get on with imo they are very social birds and as long as you can get out with the bird a few times through the year , when it comes to your 3 weeks looking after it it should be fine imo

Sounds ideal for you!

As has been said, take the bird to the woodland with you, what better time to get to know the bird.

Sounds like heaven to me, lol.

At least all your interests seem to be able to co-exist together from what I am reading.

Probably complimenting each other.

Go for it I recon.

Loads on here wuld love to be in your shoes.

if you keep a hawk yourself take it to the woodland with you .... if you peg it out all day it wont mind sleeping in its transport box on a night (hawkers do this when at field meets)

and harris hawks are one of the easiest birds to handle and get on with imo they are very social birds and as long as you can get out with the bird a few times through the year , when it comes to your 3 weeks looking after it it should be fine imo

like you do with your sparrow hawk :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

well, today was my first day of a week long falconry course, and I bloody love it, my homework was to learn to do the falconers knot, sorted, and am looking forward to the rest of the week, I may just take up my bosses offer and have one of the Harris hawks at home, with a good pay rise of course

• Like 3

well 2nd day and it gets better and better, the instructor is great, but also has had talks with my manager, basically I'll end up with a female harris, a pay rise (yet to be agreed on amount) most of the kit bought for me, aviary/mews built in my garden, transport boxes paid for etc, and my role will be to look after the other two birds (male & female harris) when the day tech goes on holidays, 4 weeks per year, may get to take my bird out once a month for work related stuff, rest of the time its down to me...

The only issue i could see is that if you cant get out much with the bird through the season up until the three weeks you are needed to fly the bird, the bird will be very unfit, as easy as people say Harris hawks are to train and enter they take a lot of time and hard work too get fit. In my oppinion you need to be out daily to get a harris fit!

Other than that sounds like you have a great oppertunity and i hope you enjoy it!

atb

Luke

• Like 1

The only issue i could see is that if you cant get out much with the bird through the season up until the three weeks you are needed to fly the bird, the bird will be very unfit, as easy as people say Harris hawks are to train and enter they take a lot of time and hard work too get fit. In my oppinion you need to be out daily to get a harris fit!

Other than that sounds like you have a great oppertunity and i hope you enjoy it!

atb

Luke

that's all been covered, I wouldn't be silly enough to cage it 11 months out of 12,

but use it for personal use mostly, with a little depot work, yet get paid for it

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the birds will be in moult throughout the summer. The longer you keep them at flying weight the longer they will take to moult. I suppose what work you are doing with the birds counts, if it's just the presence of the bird? Then it can be flown at a higher weight and still allow the bird to moult.

Some Austringers do fly their birds through the moult, as the bird would do in the wild. But generally the bird is put up in the summer and it's weight increased to allow it to moult.

The way hawks feed has alway facinated me, the way they make a kill, then not eat for a couple of days till they are switched back on to the hunting mode. I have noticed too that the hawks prey animals also notice that the bird is not switched on. My FHH would fly fairly obedient at quite a heavy weight for her, The actual weight does not matter but it was a good 2oz over her yarak weight. If she alighted in a tree at the higher weight there would be birds around her giving it some welly at her. Yet if she was in yarak they would be no where to be seen.

Good luck if you do get a bird you will not be sorry. It really if facinating, also bloody hard work.

TC