Personal protection Lurchers?

Iv seen some vicious collies kept by farmers. Be a brave man to approach one of them.

I've got a Bull x bitch that will bite but only through play. She doesn't have much in the way of natural guarding instinct and barks very little.

I've seen a lot of Bull terriers that are protection trained and known of a fair few Collies that were complete b+sterds for biting and I wondered if these traits would or have carried over to a Lurcher.

I can remember a Collie x that was a nightmare for biting and I'm sure in this day and age it would of been PTS.

you've seen collies trained as protection dogs?

yep they do train collies as pp dogs ask someone in the know ... the only reason i know is a member on this site told me

Yep. I have seen some vicious collies kept on farmland. You would be a brave man to confront one.

would the average border collie stand up to an 18 stone man booting it though? fair enough it'd give you a nasty bite but I wouldn't have thought they were big enough to be a proper protection dog?

What gives a dog more stick . . . . a man or a full size bull? Seen some collies smashed about pretty bad, get up and get stuck back in. We used to have a reverse x collie type thing here, that was hard as nails, saw her take some pastings off nasty stock and just get back up and get on with it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You do realise the the A key is on the other end of the keyboard no ?

what a pants thread, when wasnt it enough to go out and catch some gear with your muts but now it has to become your personal bodyguard too!

a lurcher is a running dog not a guard dog. dogs for jobs lads ffs what a load of bollocks this thread is what next my pit can kill 3/3 on the fens

I don't mind a Lurcher that is protective of its master and is not going to stand and wag its tail,if someone tries and steals it.

If I Remember rightly ,the acd Lurcher litter that fireman had pup from were

Ike that?

The one i kept and a litter brother were/are,can't really talk about another mans dog but the litter brother to mine would try with all it's might to destroy a threat to either house or owner without a second thought.

Ideation,wild unhandled cattle is what ACD's were made for :thumbs:

Edited by fireman

I've got a 95lb Bull Grey x Presa. Looks the part and goes mental if someone comes around he doesn't know. Dont think he'd have the stones to follow through and go for someone tho.

Or is that just coz he's been brought up as a pet and he's been trained never to bite?? I mean with a big dog like this you have make SURE he'll never bite otherwise your just another irresponsible wanker that get dogs a bad rep or you end up in the nick when your dog goes for a kid.

• Like 1

One of mine will growl when strange people come too near the family when we are out, if push came to shove am not sure what he would do and wouldnt like to guess. Good to know that some instinct is there to protect. At least as much as making a racket if someone came to the door on a night

One thing the wife mentioned is that when she has walked them. Normally when out with me they would be off hunting up looking for stuff but when out with her and the kids the same dog never leaves her side. Dont know if he senses she is uncomfortable by herself in the middle of no where so stays with her or what it is

• Like 1

I don't mind a Lurcher that is protective of its master and is not going to stand and wag its tail,if someone tries and steals it.

If I Remember rightly ,the acd Lurcher litter that fireman had pup from were

Ike that?

The one i kept and a litter brother were/are,can't really talk about another mans dog but the litter brother to mine would try with all it's might to destroy a threat to either house or owner without a second thought.

Ideation,wild unhandled cattle is what ACD's were made for :thumbs:

That was my thoughts matey :thumbs:

I know alad who set a pitbull dog on a lad and the lad and his brother kicked it to death.dont agree with cruelty to animals but if theres a gang of lads going to rob you der not gona be put of by one dog.

must of been either a shit pitbull or 2 feckin brave lads.

well what wud you do if a dog was trying to kill u

depends what dog it was, if it was a proper pit id offer my mate as sacrifice then run like the wind and never return

I know alad who set a pitbull dog on a lad and the lad and his brother kicked it to death.dont agree with cruelty to animals but if theres a gang of lads going to rob you der not gona be put of by one dog.

depends what dog it was, if it was a proper pit id offer my mate as sacrifice then run like the wind and never return

You'd think at least one of them would be missing a leg.

"a proper pit" lol yeah sure you no all about them............. :icon_redface:

• Like 1