Deer and fox dogs

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.

You have obviously never caught any muntjac bucks - locally I know of a number of dogs killed by muntjac and a few years back I saw a 26" bull cross bleed to death after being opened up by muntjac. I also know of dogs killed by fallow and sika

F**king hell now it takes a game dog to kill a Munty,Ive heard it all.

No not at all mate. Just saying that muntjac CAN hurt a dog if they want to much worde than ANY fox bite. ATB

Ive seen a couple of dogs opened up by Muntys but the took plenty without without a mark on them.When a dog was being used for foxes regular they knew they were getting bitten up regular.

you think a buck /stag dog thinks its a walk in park?lol

No i never said it was a walk in the park but i think it took a gamer dog to take foxes in numbers week in week out.Like i said at the begining of the thread ive seen lots of dogs take deer that refused to take a fox.Now ive also seen fox dogs that couldnt pull a fallow but it was more through lack of size but it didnt stop them trying they would get kicked of dragged about but would still have a go.

opinions are like assholes everyone has one ,so your welcome there ,but i disagree with you here

It would be a boring world if we all thought the same way mate :thumbs:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty people will jack from a fallow buck never mind there dogs

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 1

the cross i ran in the 80s was saluki grey x collie grey he took both fox and deer no problem and had good wind on hare photo been up before atb

Posted Images

Plenty people will jack from a fallow buck never mind there dogs :laugh:

I was fishing for pike one sunny sunday morning,the beddys and the lurchers were left ratching about in an area that only ever held the odd squirrel,my romantic interlude was broken by the sound of snapping branches and something crashing towards me through the cover,a massive,as it seemed as it hurtled towards me smashing all and sundry,fallow buck hurtled past me,by this time id managed to jump down the riverbank and seek safety in the water,lurchers and screaming terriers in tow,if id have held my ground i was convinced the brute would have taken me,my rod,the fishing one and the rest of my tackle,im still talking fishing here,with it.
  • Like 4

I don't think that's the case with foxes. Some dogs won't do them single handed no matter how you enter them. And in my experience, not including bull Xs, not a lot of lurchers are single handed.

true mate, ive know dogs take (all) bar fox on 4 legs, you would think a 18 fox is nout comp to other animals that they take, but some dogs dont like to mix it with old charlie :yes:

To right , you'd think a dog that could pull fallow would wreck a little fox

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.

i have seen many a fox dog back off from a 180lbs fallow buck,theres no diffrence a bad fox dog or bad deer dog is a cull.any half tidy animal should do them both.

Well them dogs were nothing more than curs that would have more than likely spewed it on foxes if pushed hard enough.

the one i saw killed by a buck was more then tested enough.foxs dont kill dogs deer do fact,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486310/Wildlife-experts-are-baffled-as-fox-attacks-second-dog.html

Think again :)

I don't think that's the case with foxes. Some dogs won't do them single handed no matter how you enter them. And in my experience, not including bull Xs, not a lot of lurchers are single handed.

true mate, ive know dogs take (all) bar fox on 4 legs, you would think a 18 fox is nout comp to other animals that they take, but some dogs dont like to mix it with old charlie :yes:

i have seen many a fox dog back off from a 180lbs fallow buck,theres no diffrence a bad fox dog or bad deer dog is a cull.any half tidy animal should do them both.

Well them dogs were nothing more than curs that would have more than likely spewed it on foxes if pushed hard enough.

the one i saw killed by a buck was more then tested enough.foxs dont kill dogs deer do fact,

http://www.telegraph...second-dog.html

If you believe that link you put up mate then you are a nieve fool. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I liked to take folk out and see there dogs work various game pre ban, especailly after hearing all the hype about said dogs! A day that stands out in the memory, a 28'' bull cross dog got dragged all over by a fallow pre ban before finally grassing it, yet a 23'' bitch took a bigger buck the same day with no fuss, hock, neck, down. Said dog was a great foxer, yet the bitch would do fox doubled up only. Technique plays a bigger part in a deer dog, than it does for a strong fox dog that can grab charlie anywhere and crunch job done. Ive never come across a bull cross that refused ANY game,(which surely should be a cull?) but I wouldnt call most of them deer dogs, as most make a mess of the carcass, and lack good technique, which to me is part and parcel of what makes a deer dog.

• Like 4

http://www.telegraph...second-dog.html

You honestly believe a 14lb fox would tear the stomach out of an adult German Shepherd?