Aviary Floor And Question's

As some of you maybe aware i will soon be in the proccess of building a out door flight for some native's and the odd canary..i have cleared a piece of garden where my old weathering's used to be and it will measure around 14ft long x 7ft wide x 7ft high..with a little shed stuck on one end..half of the roof long way's.. will be covered and the other half meshed with clear sheet's on top..will that roof arrangment be ok..?

Also i was thinking of devideing it into 3 seperate aviaries but i have been advised that they could be too small but then again it was going to be a smaller overall length to start with..would it be ok splitting it down the middle or would it be best left as one long flight..?

And fo the floor..i like to keep thing's as natural as possible..i'm planning on leaving it as soil and planting a load of grass seed and wild flower's aswell as shrub's and the odd thistle type weed's..would that be ok..?.

Cheer's.. :thumbs:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a few pic's from today...i have opened the two flight's up next to each other so they have more room to fly about.. .     Two mule Goldies and a irish fancy hen on the teazel     Lu

Here's a pic or two showing a exstention i added to my aviary and the roof bit i left open and this i'm splitting in two and then i'll be changing the layout of the rest of it by spring next year and

This is where i am upto for now..doing it on my own does not help and these dark night's are a ball ache when you want to crack on..not too worry though i will get there in the end..  

As some of you maybe aware i will soon be in the proccess of building a out door flight for some native's and the odd canary..i have cleared a piece of garden where my old weathering's used to be and it will measure around 14ft long x 7ft wide x 7ft high..with a little shed stuck on one end..half of the roof long way's.. will be covered and the other half meshed with clear sheet's on top..will that roof arrangment be ok..?

Also i was thinking of devideing it into 3 seperate aviaries but i have been advised that they could be too small but then again it was going to be a smaller overall length to start with..would it be ok splitting it down the middle or would it be best left as one long flight..?

And fo the floor..i like to keep thing's as natural as possible..i'm planning on leaving it as soil and planting a load of grass seed and wild flower's aswell as shrub's and the odd thistle type weed's..would that be ok..?.

Cheer's.. :thumbs:

it will be full of rats in no time, lay a concrete base and paint it to look like grass :laugh:

I am very good at dealing with rat's Paul.. :yes: ..and don't forget i also keep serama wyndotte's and too sussex cross chook's aswell as about 90 Jap quail and if they don't bring rat's nothing will.. :D

I am very good at dealing with rat's Paul.. :yes: ..and don't forget i also keep serama wyndotte's and too sussex cross chook's aswell as about 90 Jap quail and if they don't bring rat's nothing will.. :D

but rats dont kill them like they do finches numb nuts :laugh: burry wire under the grass :thumbs:

I never realised or thought of that Paul.. :thumbs: ..but then again Moll lost some canary chick's out of the nest to mice early on in the breeding season this year..i will beef the security up with a galvinised mesh floor around the outside's.. :yes: ..as i don't like using concrete..

I never realised or thought of that Paul.. :thumbs: ..but then again Moll lost some canary chick's out of the nest to mice early on in the breeding season this year..i will beef the security up with a galvinised mesh floor around the outside's.. :yes: ..as i don't like using concrete..

dont put a cat in there :D

I have a large aviary and to be honest it's hard work keeping tabs on all the birds all the time and infact today i have lost a siskin hen somewhere ,i've searched everywhere for her but still cannot locate her and if she'd had been in a smaller flight either i'd have noticed her either ill or missing sooner and it's made me even keener to devide my aviary into smaller more managable flights.As for the roof it doen't need to have a covered roof then clear plastic,it can be clear plastic all over but DO NOT FORGET to wire the roof battons first as if it blows off all the birds will be gone :cray: or if your going to have a wild planted floor then leave a bit with a open roof to help keep it watered and the birds do like to sit in the rain and have a preen.I have some of my aviary roof open for this purpose (a hint from our good man Craigyboy :thumbs: )and i have also a wild planted bit with a soil floor but like Paulus says i wired it first then put soil on top and have paving slabs for the wooden panels to stand on.As for vermin i have poison boxes and fen traps down 24/7 around my aviary but have still lost quail to rats before now and i did wonder if vermin have had my siskin hen :hmm:.

• Like 1

Thank's for that Fireman :thumbs: ..you have made my mind up for me.. i will do two 7 ft x 7ft linked together with a door leading from one to the other.... with a full meshed roof with half of it covered in clear sheeting..i will deffinitely mesh the floor even though i know it's hard work keeping vermin out..but the good thing about my garden and the dog's i have it's very hard for a rat to go undetected and when they are located which is usualy quick they sharp expire.. :D ..

I'm just waiting on material's getting delivered now and when i get cracking i will do some step by step picture's.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Here's a pic or two showing a exstention i added to my aviary and the roof bit i left open and this i'm splitting in two and then i'll be changing the layout of the rest of it by spring next year and the flight i built and have left it wild planted.The wild flight does go through the back of the shed and into the rest of it and although it give the birds different territories as it were it's like i've said hard fecking work.

Picture833.jpg

Picture298-1.jpg

• Like 6

Are you still likely to have rodent problems with a concrete floor or not ?......As in....is it just a problem that go,s hand in hand with having aviaries ?

anywhere theres food and shelter you will have a rodent problem :thumbs: