shooting foxes

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A .22 sub at close range is more than capable. Sometimes it can be preferable over a centerfire in certain situations.   Question is can you put the round in the right place when it matters ?   No

Site is telling me I can't quote all the people I want to in this thread, and spidey sense is telling me not to bother replying in the first place, but f**k it here goes anyway...   Yes, a .22lr wil

as close as possible get high velocity rounds and re zero.   50 60 yards ish max just to be safe

TIM if you think a foxes vital are 8x4" with a .22rf, then you are going to end up with a lot of injured foxes pal.

ive shot plenty of foxes at 50 yards within that size. a 22lr has a hell of a lot of power at 50 yards. i use cci stingers and as soon as they hit home. the fox is down. end of

Ok pal.

a typical kill zone for a fox is 10" x 4" actually. just had a measure up. :feck:

Thanks TIM for the info I really didn't know foxes grew that big.

If you really want to give me the finger bud, then fine, but don't give people bad advice.

How big do you think the kill zone is on a red deer then just incase you have one of those lying about to measure aswell.

If you really want to give me the finger bud, then fine, but don't give people bad advice.

How big do you think the kill zone is on a red deer then just incase you have one of those lying about to measure aswell.

if you measure side on from the front of the fox to the back, there is roughly 10 inches. and 4 inches high. how can you not see that? hit a fox within that range and itll die

if you measure side on from the front of the fox to the back, there is roughly 10 inches. and 4 inches high. how can you not see that? hit a fox within that range and itll die

:hmm: :hmm: Yes, very likely, but it may take till next week!

• Like 1

Personally I'd rather use a shotgun than a 22lr , just because I wouldn't be confident enough that I'd get a clean kill .

:hmm: If the fox was close enough to ensure a clean kill with a shotgun, it is plenty close enought to ensure a clean kill with a .22lr and subs! :thumbs:

• Like 1

generally

thanks guys, great help. my groups are not really a problem ive been shooting for years so im confident in my ability and that of my rifle just wanted to make sure i was going to put the animal down first time. thanks again for your help

well to ensure you maintain them groups and to hit a fox you may need different bullets. my rifle tends to like cci stingers. these are deadly. after you buy new bullets you will need to re zero your rifle. if your after the odd fox for the farmer i would bait the foxes. find a spot that is well camouflaged. i usually use bedroom window but you may have to improvise lol, then set your bait out at a sensible distance, say 50 yards. this way you know that your fox will be in range. i usually use felix cat food. as this brings the foxes in well. the beauty of baiting is that whatever range you decide to put the bait out at. again say 50 yards you can practice before hand shooting a fox sized target at that range.

Most people can hit a fox size Target, but that is a very bad guide with a .22lr, which doesn't dump much energy compared to a CF. You really need to hit a 2" size disc which equates to a brain or heart shot.

by fox target i meant actually hitting the vitals lol, i think anybody with common sense would practice hitting the vitals, which is actually about 8" by 4" unless shooting at the head, which is out of the question really. i wouldnt shoot at its head. 1 its a smaller target, two a fox can move its head a lot faster then the rest of its body. ive always shot at the heart/lungs

By all means take the shot you are confident with, but I'm just not following why you think a head shot is out of the question, the heart lung shot is just as difficult to place accurately, if not more so than the head! :hmm::thumbs:

Personally I'd rather use a shotgun than a 22lr , just because I wouldn't be confident enough that I'd get a clean kill .

:hmm: If the fox was close enough to ensure a clean kill with a shotgun, it is plenty close enought to ensure a clean kill with a .22lr and subs! :thumbs:

I didn't say it wasn't , I'm just not as confident myself with a rifle as I am with the shotgun .

Its maybe due to the fact I don't shoot a rifle regular :thumbs:

Site is telling me I can't quote all the people I want to in this thread, and spidey sense is telling me not to bother replying in the first place, but f**k it here goes anyway...

Yes, a .22lr will kill a fox dead.I used Eley Subsonics in mine and could get 1 and sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Use the (hollowpoint, not solids) round that is most accurate in your rifle. The trick with a .22lr is being able to hit the right place every time, you don't then you have an injured animal. Know your ranges off by heart, know your bullet rise and drop off by heart.

I would Google image foxes anatomy and go for a brain shot every time. Always consider the position of the fox, are you above or below it, side on, in front of or behind? You need to work out the route tot he brain from each situation. I've shot foxes in the brain out to 80 yards, the Eley Subsonic has the power, the issue is placement - if you're not confident due to weather, rest, position,breathing, skittish fox, ability, then don't shoot. There's no black magic voodoo involved.

I never went for heart/lung shots because in my rifle normal/high/hyper velocity rounds were shit, I don't like inaccurate things so I don't use them, personal choice based on testing, all guns are different. I always thought of them like Scud missiles, lots of whoosh, big bang, couldn't hit what they're aimed at.

I would go farther than Teagater and say you need to be grouping in that 1 inch at 100 yards (or as close as possible), why? Because we seldom have the luxuries of time, good position, cooperative weather and shooting when we please (as opposed to when the fox turns up and your arm/leg/arse is numb from waiting, and you're cold/wet/fed up) when out in the fields as we do when we've set up on our terms shooting at targets.

I've never measured a fox, but I have a picture somewhere of a foxes heart beside a two Euro coin, it ain't so big.

Centrefire, I never bother with head shots, unless I'm pushed and that's all there is. Lots of power to plough through vitals and cause mayhem indoors. Rimfire, I'll go for the head every time.

I'm not claiming I'm right, I'm not trying to put anyone else down, this is just my opinion!

• Like 3

Site is telling me I can't quote all the people I want to in this thread, and spidey sense is telling me not to bother replying in the first place, but f**k it here goes anyway...

Yes, a .22lr will kill a fox dead.I used Eley Subsonics in mine and could get 1 and sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Use the (hollowpoint, not solids) round that is most accurate in your rifle. The trick with a .22lr is being able to hit the right place every time, you don't then you have an injured animal. Know your ranges off by heart, know your bullet rise and drop off by heart.

I would Google image foxes anatomy and go for a brain shot every time. Always consider the position of the fox, are you above or below it, side on, in front of or behind? You need to work out the route tot he brain from each situation. I've shot foxes in the brain out to 80 yards, the Eley Subsonic has the power, the issue is placement - if you're not confident due to weather, rest, position,breathing, skittish fox, ability, then don't shoot. There's no black magic voodoo involved.

I never went for heart/lung shots because in my rifle normal/high/hyper velocity rounds were shit, I don't like inaccurate things so I don't use them, personal choice based on testing, all guns are different. I always thought of them like Scud missiles, lots of whoosh, big bang, couldn't hit what they're aimed at.

I would go farther than Teagater and say you need to be grouping in that 1 inch at 100 yards (or as close as possible), why? Because we seldom have the luxuries of time, good position, cooperative weather and shooting when we please (as opposed to when the fox turns up and your arm/leg/arse is numb from waiting, and you're cold/wet/fed up) when out in the fields as we do when we've set up on our terms shooting at targets.

I've never measured a fox, but I have a picture somewhere of a foxes heart beside a two Euro coin, it ain't so big.

Centrefire, I never bother with head shots, unless I'm pushed and that's all there is. Lots of power to plough through vitals and cause mayhem indoors. Rimfire, I'll go for the head every time.

I'm not claiming I'm right, I'm not trying to put anyone else down, this is just my opinion!

John. I will go one step further and say you are right all the way, thank goodness for common sense.