shooting foxes

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A .22 sub at close range is more than capable. Sometimes it can be preferable over a centerfire in certain situations.   Question is can you put the round in the right place when it matters ?   No

Site is telling me I can't quote all the people I want to in this thread, and spidey sense is telling me not to bother replying in the first place, but f**k it here goes anyway...   Yes, a .22lr wil

as close as possible get high velocity rounds and re zero.   50 60 yards ish max just to be safe

Hi folks, not really done much fox hunting with guns but been asked to clear a couple for a farmer my question is will .22lr do the job with a head shot or heart/lung? Also if so what distances would it be effective at? Many thanks

depends if foxes are conditioned for your 22. if so, make sure you find a suitable expanding round that groups well through your rifle. Because you are more than likely going to use it on foxes, practice practice and keep practicing on tightening your groups. try shooting at different ranges from about 20 yards out too a hundred. dont attempt a fox unless you are confident your not going to miss

A .22 sub at close range is more than capable. Sometimes it can be preferable over a centerfire in certain situations.

Question is can you put the round in the right place when it matters ?

No room for error with the little round so to make sure to ensure the shot is humane, keep the range down and wait for the right opportunity to present itself.

Always better to watch a fox walk away unharmed with the chance of getting it "next time", than seeing one limp off after a rushed shot etc.

• Like 3

generally

thanks guys, great help. my groups are not really a problem ive been shooting for years so im confident in my ability and that of my rifle just wanted to make sure i was going to put the animal down first time. thanks again for your help

well to ensure you maintain them groups and to hit a fox you may need different bullets. my rifle tends to like cci stingers. these are deadly. after you buy new bullets you will need to re zero your rifle. if your after the odd fox for the farmer i would bait the foxes. find a spot that is well camouflaged. i usually use bedroom window but you may have to improvise lol, then set your bait out at a sensible distance, say 50 yards. this way you know that your fox will be in range. i usually use felix cat food. as this brings the foxes in well. the beauty of baiting is that whatever range you decide to put the bait out at. again say 50 yards you can practice before hand shooting a fox sized target at that range.

generally

thanks guys, great help. my groups are not really a problem ive been shooting for years so im confident in my ability and that of my rifle just wanted to make sure i was going to put the animal down first time. thanks again for your help

well to ensure you maintain them groups and to hit a fox you may need different bullets. my rifle tends to like cci stingers. these are deadly. after you buy new bullets you will need to re zero your rifle. if your after the odd fox for the farmer i would bait the foxes. find a spot that is well camouflaged. i usually use bedroom window but you may have to improvise lol, then set your bait out at a sensible distance, say 50 yards. this way you know that your fox will be in range. i usually use felix cat food. as this brings the foxes in well. the beauty of baiting is that whatever range you decide to put the bait out at. again say 50 yards you can practice before hand shooting a fox sized target at that range.

Most people can hit a fox size Target, but that is a very bad guide with a .22lr, which doesn't dump much energy compared to a CF. You really need to hit a 2" size disc which equates to a brain or heart shot.

generally

Most people can hit a fox size Target, but that is a very bad guide with a .22lr, which doesn't dump much energy compared to a CF. You really need to hit a 2" size disc which equates to a brain or heart shot.

Or better still bait it to 30 yds and shoot it with the 12 bore and 42 gms of no3s. if you dont have a cf.

generally

by fox target i meant actually hitting the vitals lol, i think anybody with common sense would practice hitting the vitals, which is actually about 8" by 4" unless shooting at the head, which is out of the question really. i wouldnt shoot at its head. 1 its a smaller target, two a fox can move its head a lot faster then the rest of its body. ive always shot at the heart/lungs

generally

Or better still bait it to 30 yds and shoot it with the 12 bore and 42 gms of no3s. if you dont have a cf.

id go for the AAA's lol at least then if it attempts to run off you can still swing and drop it with shotgun. and if you miss you always have another barrel. haha

TIM if you think a foxes vital are 8x4" with a .22rf, then you are going to end up with a lot of injured foxes pal.

ive shot plenty of foxes at 50 yards within that size. a 22lr has a hell of a lot of power at 50 yards. i use cci stingers and as soon as they hit home. the fox is down. end of

TIM if you think a foxes vital are 8x4" with a .22rf, then you are going to end up with a lot of injured foxes pal.

ive shot plenty of foxes at 50 yards within that size. a 22lr has a hell of a lot of power at 50 yards. i use cci stingers and as soon as they hit home. the fox is down. end of

Ok pal.