what species of deer is this?

norweigen [spelling] fallow buck not many in uk few round south cumbria borders

Eh???

so called deer expert :huh:

the only wild examples are found on the Cumbria-Lancashire border from a small herd in woodland near Silverdale and Arnside is home to a small herd of very handsome Norwegian black fallow deer

Those are not wild as you imply,they are a captivated herd at Levens Park and were introduced by the Bagott family. if any of those are escapees they are exactly that, which i very much doubt.

When I used to live at Yealand Redmayne I used to see them regular and are Menil Fallow. as you say an introduced genus of the species They did originate from Norway and they are exceptionally dark darker than normal melanistic deer. As most fallow deer introduced into this country was originally by the Normans its unsure when the menil strain came into being. and also the purity of the norwegian genus

http://www.levenshal...ames_grahme.asp

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1201477

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no eye deer.....................i'll get my coat

The Clue in the photo is the adams apple and the line on its torso

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/5108236985/   Here are some pere david, hard to confuse them with any other deer once you've had a good look. Stubbys picture is a fallow buck in velvet

Posted Images

Eh???

the only wild examples are found on the Cumbria-Lancashire border from a small herd in woodland near Silverdale and Arnside is home to a small herd of very handsome Norwegian black fallow deer

Those are not wild as you imply,they are a captivated herd at Levens Park and were introduced by the Bagott family. if any of those are escapees they are exactly that, which i very much doubt.

When I used to live at Yealand Redmayne I used to see them regular and are Menil Fallow. as you say an introduced genus of the species They did originate from Norway and they are exceptionally dark darker than normal melanistic deer. As most fallow deer introduced into this country was originally by the Normans its unsure when the menil strain came into being. and also the purity of the norwegian genus

http://www.geograph....k/photo/1201477

i thought that Menil were lighter, not the white fallow but paler than the normal? we always called theblack ones Melanistic. there is a genetically distinct population originally from norway at epping forest, I think they set up a satelite herd at whipsnade zoo as a safety net because there were no others in UK; do you know if the ones at pevens Park came fromepping or were a separate import? the eppingb herd apparently goes back to the 1600s

Eh???

Well....funny thing, I never realised that Fallow were indigenous to Norway. :icon_eek:

'Cos, if they aren't then there can't be anything such as a "norwegian fallow"...only fallow that have been imported from Norway and are the very same as what we have running around in the uk..... :bye:

Ergo, that photo is of a melanistic fallow, plain and simple.

...... i cant believe you actually wrote a book about all species of deer.... Edited by saluki bull2

Eh???

http://www.geograph....k/photo/1201477

i thought that Menil were lighter, not the white fallow but paler than the normal? we always called theblack ones Melanistic. there is a genetically distinct population originally from norway at epping forest, I think they set up a satelite herd at whipsnade zoo as a safety net because there were no others in UK; do you know if the ones at pevens Park came fromepping or were a separate import? the eppingb herd apparently goes back to the 1600s

i rest my case... Edited by saluki bull2

Eh???

Well....funny thing, I never realised that Fallow were indigenous to Norway. :icon_eek:

'Cos, if they aren't then there can't be anything such as a "norwegian fallow"...only fallow that have been imported from Norway and are the very same as what we have running around in the uk..... :bye:

Ergo, that photo is of a melanistic fallow, plain and simple.

...... i cant believe you actually wrote a book about all species of deer....

I can, and I'm pretty confident it's better than the one you've wrote.... ;) ;) and that deer in the photo is a melanistic fallow...plain and simple.

Fallow are not indiginous to Norway.....as I've already said......

It's like us sending some Muntjac to france and calling them 'english muntjac'.... they are essentially the same deer...

melanism occurr's commonly in fallow, and I've caught my fair share of dark ones....

your right about the cervus nippon wrong about the three legs and tail never had a larder available so had to make do to many of these cervus nippons about starting to breed with our native reds so need to be shot atb :thumbs:Picture223.jpg

Must have had its rear leg and tail shoved up its arse then :D

Only thing I wasnt certain on was if it was 6mm or 8mm or 10mm rope I was certain it was blue though :icon_eek:

And where you had hocked it it wasnt a bowline and bite just a couple of half hitches

Edited by Caprelous

your right about the cervus nippon wrong about the three legs and tail never had a larder available so had to make do to many of these cervus nippons about starting to breed with our native reds so need to be shot atb :thumbs:Picture223.jpg

Only thing I wasnt certain on was if it was 6mm or 8mm or 10mm rope I was certain it was blue though :icon_eek:

And where you had hocked it it wasnt a bowline and bite just a couple of half hitches

it was 6 mm rope :D and wasnt bothered to much about my knots just glad to get it hung with only being myself and as for the back leg being up its arse it did nothing to the taste when the butcher brought back to me there was two nice haunchs in the pack pack along with roasts steaks and burgers :yes::thumbs:

it was 6 mm rope :D and wasnt bothered to much about my knots just glad to get it hung with only being myself and as for the back leg being up its arse it did nothing to the taste when the butcher brought back to me there was two nice haunchs in the pack pack along with roasts steaks and burgers :yes::thumbs:

By any chance you havent a few piccies of hybrids have you and I dont mean a couple of budgies sat in a tall tree.

I could do with a few piccies for an article i am intending to do..

Cheers

Stu