Top line bwra racing whippet x top kc line working whippet

the 1st photo show,s a copy of the registration certificate of THE JOKER a black 16lb dog

bought by mr rose in the early 1930,s. the joker was raced very successfully in PORTSMOUTH,,until his career was

cut short by a car accindent.

It is interesting to note that BWRA and WCRA were by no means the first to start registration,of whippets

i,e EASTERN COUNTIES WHIPPET ASSOCIATION

thejoker.jpg

Two very early whippeteer,s of about 1912.

These two men, it is imagined , were SUFFOLK PEOPLE ( members of the Eastern Counties Whippet Association )

oldphotowhippets.jpg

gold medal from 1905 ,,,won by a whippet called Actor,,,At Guernsey ,,metting held at Cambridge Park

whippetmedal.jpg

built like a gladiator ,front end fabulious . atb bunnys.

Its a well known fact, that non peds are faster than peds, but how would they fare against each other stamina wise?

Also the peds appear to have a good nose on them, and most will mark, are non peds the same?

Would there be any difference at the end of a days ferreting work wise, or would they both be running well?

Edited by Country Joe

I was under the impression that whippets had been bred originally by breeding greyhounds with various terrier types. I think its quite safe to say bedlington bloods in the mix but when you see old pics of hunt terriers from the turn of the 1900's they look so different from their modern counterparts it would be hard to say. Ive seen pics of an old strain of beddy bred by a chap from Cumbria called Tommy Dobson and theyre a far cry from whats about today.

What type of Terrier blood would have been added, various, or say one breed like a Bedlington?

I remember talking to an old chap over 30 years ago who used to run in the rabbit matches with whippet types pre war and was told by him ireish terreir was a popular dog to use

Cj I doubt a bedlington would have a wiry coatIMHO, the Irish terrier or even the wire haired Fox Terrier would of been a better bet and both breeds would of been a lot different to todays examples of the breed

Y.I.S Leeview

The old beddys didnt carry the soft wooly coat thats on a lot today, but id say most terriers that were up on the leg would have been in the mix. I doubt folk were too fussed what the terrier would have been classed as irish, fox , fell, or bedlington as long as it worked to the standard required. Irish type terriers played a big role in the development of a lot of terrier breeding in the fells and Manchester area from what ive heard

I have three whippets. One is a race bred from one of the top KC studs at the time and the other two are coursing bred / working bred.

My race bred dog is very fast, a very good club level dog but just not quick enough to win at the champs. I took him to the WRCA a few times and he is a yard or so away from competing with the top dogs.

Working wise I would always go for a pure race bred now. He is quicker, can turn quicker and has just as much stamina as the working bred dogs. He is 27lbs and my others are 30 and 32lbs.

Dont get me wrong the working bred are good on the rabbits and I always thought it be best to buy from working parents but when it comes to whippets I am of the opinion that it makes no real difference.

I find the whippets are great fun on the lamp but they have a different style of running than my lurcher. The whippets are 100 mile an hour, turn then flat out again and great to watch but my lurcher ( Wolfie x Coursing Bred) runs far cleverer. Its hard to explain but the lurcher seems to anticipate where the rabbits are going to go but the whippets just follow - If that make sense?