Flying with Rifle / Ammo

Hi Guys,

I'm flying this Thursday from the Isle of Lewis to go deer stalking on the mainland and was inquiring if anybody on here has any experience on what regulations l should follow when flying with a rifle and carrying ammunition? I have a lockable solid gun case for the journey and my local security bods said all l would have to do would be to declare my rifle + ammo and show them my license.

On the ammo front l have no idea how it should be carried and must add that l think it would be best in an ammo belt type of thing kept with the gun in the case as it is safest in there but again l don't know if this would be legal. I could also keep my ammo in an ammo box in my backpack but as some baggage handlers can be quite rough I'm worried that any hard impact could set of the bullets.

I would also like to take my own knife for the trip but yet again am unsure of the legalities and before anyone points out why not buy ammo etc on the mainland l will not get the chance as l will be landing in Glasgow and leaving it again in around 15 minutes and country bound in a train so what experience / tips do you guys have?

many thanks Callum

The ammo needs to be in a separate case in the hold and declared so they can add an explosives tag to it. Put knives or anything else that might upset people in the case with your rifle. That always works for me.

Thanks a lot for the info just what l needed to know. So if l had my ammo in an ammo box inside my backpack that would be ok or should l put some kind of lock on that as well?

thanks again Callum