Trying some bigger buries today

Nice frost this morning and the weather was set for a great days ferreting.

Joined by Rik and Luke with his dog Tess, also a mate from the fishing club joined us for an hour to clear his hangover.

Started up in a little copse and purse netted a bury of about 18 holes, took a little while to find the holes as the overnight frost had dropped a lot of leaves and covered many of the holes. Old faithful ferret in and we soon had two bunnies in the nets.

Decided to move down to a more overgrown section that turned out to be a pretty big warren. With the look of all the cover and expecting a lot of holes to be covered we decided on surrounding the whole warren with two 50yd quicksets and also needed three stop nets down the slopes. Gave me a chance to use the panoramic function on my camera:

PB180009.jpg

The warren is on the bank on the left. Decided to put both ferrets in (old faithful along with the little one). One rabbit soon bolted straight into the stopnet. Then it was a bit of waiting whilst the rabbits were being chased around underground until they had had enough and decided to make a run for it. Some hit the longnets and stopnets, and Tess was a star grabbing two before they made the nets. She really enjoyed herself rather than having to watch us pick rabbits out of purse nets like before.

A couple of times we tried to dig when we thought the ferret was holed up but on digging the rabbit would shift and pull the little jill around, whilst old faithful did her usual thing and just kept storming back and forth harrying the bunnies underground. At one time the locator gave a mark at a foot or two and looking down the nearest hole the backend of a rabbit could be seen sitting there, pulled it out with the little one attached.

Managed seven from here with no escaspees before moving on. As all the rabbits had either run across (left to right) or gone down the hedge line we decided to do a another similar bury of equal size just up from this one and I thought we might as well just use one 50yd quickset in the copse and one stop net and not bother with one out on the field behind. Big mistake, soon after entering both ferrets rabbits were hole hopping and seeing the dangers above ground so when they did break cover they went behind and to freedom. Some even sneaked out, although one did this in front of me and sat there but with a clap of the hands it took fright straight into the longnet as hoped. One other crashed into the longnet, but far more were lost, so with rabbits possibly still down there the ferrets were picked up at the next opportunity. We'll do this warren properly in the future.

Last night out with the torch I had seen a rabbit enter a small five holer we did a couple of weeks ago so we thought we might as well do this one to end the day. Both ferrets were pretty knackered so old faithful went in with a bit of persuasion and after trying several holes we had bunny number twelve in the bag and called it a day.

A few fields away some rabbits have shown mixy and a couple of weeks ago we caught two with mixy, however, today all twelve rabbits were in fantastic condition. Hopefully Luke managed to get some video footage that may be up later in the week.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

• Like 2

Must be a record! only taken me about 2hrs to edit down all of footage to just the action bits!! I must be getting better!

Thanks again for a cracking day out Chris, it was good being able to relax a bit and just watch Tess work, though she needs to learn to respect the longnets. When behind a Rabbit, she completely forgets there their!

Here's the footage from today,

Second Warren.

Third Warren where the Rabbits kept 'Hole Hopping'

Cheers again

Luke.

• Like 1