New Baby Weihrauch has arrived!! Both of us doing well!!

Gentlemen.

Well Friday afternoon I was over at RED BECK shooting supplies near Wakefield to collect my new Weihrauch HW97KT .177 rifle. You chaps who own and know these rifles need no further endorsement from me as to how stunningly beautiful these are. With a fit and finish that just oozes shooting confidence, I fished out my remaining stock of .177 ammo, H&N FTT, Air Arms Fields and JSB EXACT and spent the evening washing and lubing them. A call to Andy and we arranged to meet at his home to have a closer look and pick up some additional brands of ammo to try.

After a delicious lunch from the local chippy, Bloody good fish & fnerks!. (That's chips to you young 'uns!) He gave me a whole batch of JSBs, H&Ns, Daystates, Bisley Magnums and RWS Superpoints to try.

Today, Sunday, I was out early with the rifle mounting a HAWKE ENDURANCE 3-9x42 IR 30 scope with a European 4a/German Post and Four reticle (Lovely!) And after an exhaustive full day's shooting and testing on my permission in beautiful sunshine, one pellet has, so far, emerged as a pellet of choice.

BISLEY MAGNUM. 4.51mm

Some pellets were miles out, others like the H&N FTT and JSBs were coming good. This HW97KT is a stock standard, untuned, as-it-comes-out-the-box rifle. And it was punching these Bisley Mags into a compressed ball of lead at 35 metres. I always heard these were not so hot in spring rifles as they are in PCPs. But here they were, ripping a hole smaller than a 5p coin into the target at a decent hunting range. I'm delighted with this find, as I know these will give a hefty wallop and a humane killing despatch when used on live vermin.

So, the next steps are to hand the rifle over to Andy who will work his soothing, smoothing magic on it. Then it's down to Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports for the Stage II tune.

Then, it's coming with me for the meet in January and the HFT recoiling class competition. Then.....A challenge with Davy and Si to film for Vermin Hunters TV...

Then the UK national Spring Gun Championships. That's worth having a shot at!

See you with her and my other rifles in January!

God Bless all here.

Pianoman

• Like 8

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen.   Well Friday afternoon I was over at RED BECK shooting supplies near Wakefield to collect my new Weihrauch HW97KT .177 rifle. You chaps who own and know these rifles need no further endo

Simon, if you do decide you prefer the sporter stock I have my HW77K's stock kicking about in the back of the shed that you can have for nowt if you're willing to pay the postage?   It was a bit rou

I enjoyed that write up, sounds like an awesome rifle. Glad to see you are still a springer enthusiast, us older Airgunners where afterall weaned on them, in fact never got my first PCP until 2005 and

Great news Simon, I'm glad you're happy with it. Shame you can't upload photos. If you don't mind me asking why will you be sending it to Andy before SFS (no disrespect to Andy by the way, just curious).

Bisley Magnum too, my word, quite suprised at that as I'm sure you were. Incidentally, did you recieve the batch of .22 Daystate Li's I posted out?

Best Regards

Funny you should name the thread this. As I got sent away from my partner being induced I nipped to gun shop to put deposit down on a gun for Xmas for the nipper. I also handled every Hw there, and as I got to the Hw97 synthetic I had a call an my beautiful daughter was born shortly after I arrived. Hahaha glad you like it, I might be getting a Hw97 too. In the future

• Like 2

I'm glad it's doing well, Simon. Mags were my 90's favourite pellet when it had it's .177 barrel fitted. Just give me a shout when you want it fettling and I'll sort it out for you. There's no point in having the gun done twice, mate. Save yourself some cash. :thumbs::D

• Like 1

Okay Andy, you got the job for this one again mate. Make her as sweet and smoothly consistent as you possibly can pal! I've got a lot riding on this rifle.

Great news Simon, I'm glad you're happy with it. Shame you can't upload photos. If you don't mind me asking why will you be sending it to Andy before SFS (no disrespect to Andy by the way, just curious).

Bisley Magnum too, my word, quite suprised at that as I'm sure you were. Incidentally, did you recieve the batch of .22 Daystate Li's I posted out?

Best Regards

Not yet Elliott. I got your PM saying they were on their way. I'll keep an eye out for them tomorrow (Monday) onwards. I would upload pics if I had a digital camera and the know-how to post them. I'll leave that to Helen when I'm down with her again!

I was thinking that Andy could do the fettling, honing and refining work on the base components while Tony Wall can finish it off with his reworking on the piston and guide plus the springs he uses are quite unique I understand. Money is not the objective. A world class, world beating target rifle is! If Andy can produce this from the components already in the rifle, that would be fantastic. Frankly, from what he did with my HW77, I have absolute faith he could!

I'm really grateful for your help with the ammo question here mate. Thank you Elliott.

Regards.

Simon

• Like 1

Sincerest best wishes to you and your partner too Rob. I think that's serendipity calling to you about a new HW97 of your own! Wonderfully happy coincidence or, a subliminal omen? Can only be a sign of good things coming Rob! :thumbs:

Happy news mate!

All best wishes and regards.

Simon

Cheers Simon and Si, I told my partner , her exact words was "bloody typical" lol cos iv been eyeing up the blue laminate 97k , possibly in .20 cal.

I'd say the 97 handles better than the tx200 , seems better balanced and not so heavy, although they pretty much same weight on paper.

Just got to decide what to get the nipper. Because at the time I was down there I had a look at the new bsa ultra with bolt, and the tac stock looked pretty rough , and cheaply made, and the cylinder and barrel had like thick old car oil on it, straight out of the box. I tell you what was nice was the bsa lightning xl gas ram, and spring. They had the British flag stamped on the side as their put together back over here rather than Spain.. if only I had the money ,hmmm. The brococks are pretty well put together too, considering the price. Atb with the gun and comps. Hopefully il be at the Jan.meet, il know closer to the time

• Like 2

Well best wishes to Mum and baby, your bit starts now Rob ;) , its always nice to know that we have our latest and maybe youngest member. How do you think the good lady will feel when, (after sending you to register the new one on your own) you register your daughter "Weihrauch" :boogy: . If you did this i would imagine that your reproductive day will be behind you lol :icon_eek: :icon_eek: . Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it :cray: , although "Weihrauch" is a nice name and also it is inline with some of the superstars. Sunday Popsicle or whatever the latest name is :D .

Again a massive Congratulations to mum and dad and welcome to the new one.

Respect

Roger

I enjoyed that write up, sounds like an awesome rifle. Glad to see you are still a springer enthusiast, us older Airgunners where afterall weaned on them, in fact never got my first PCP until 2005 and still take one of my springers for a walk round the fields as often as possible. Must admit to hankering after a new springer for a while, my newest at the moment is a 1985 Air Arms Camargue. I was always a big fan of the HW77K and these seem to be a product improved version.

But after seeing the results Si has been achieving with his and your post it looks like I'm going to treat myself to a 97. I to fancy the springer championships so a visit to Tony Wall is a necessity imho. Look forward to reading more of your 97 and its first hunting trip.

• Like 2

Thanks Grayling.

I thought the Camargue was a beautiful looking rifle. Another was the Shamal. That was when Air Arms were getting into serious gear to take on the Germans. I couldn't afford one, let alone a left-handed walnut version when they came out. Then, by the time I was earning decent money again, the TX200 replaced it! So I bought two of those!

I've never yet owned a PCP air rifle. I'm 55 years old and I remember too well how these were in the late 70s when they first started to appear. Horrible, unreliable and phenominally expensive! I hate the way the cylinder and barrel ride together and I could never get on with anything that looks like it is deep-throating a black fire extinguisher!

Yep! I'm an old fart when it comes to these guns. Though, of course they are a Hell of a lot better made and far better looking now and I can see why the lads go for them. But not for me. I'm a spring rifle disciple to my very last shot! PCPs are only as accurate as the spring rifles we've been shooting for years AND without all that charging gear!

I have an HW77 I bought new four years ago. AndyFR1968 is a close friend and he tuned it and it is a frighteningly accurate, very smooth cocking and shooting rifle. It's .22 and the best spring piston air rifle I think you can buy today. Where legal-limit hunting is required, this is the one I reach for. Same with my TX200HC carbine. That's a phenominally accurate .177 rifle. Where I'm after Mink on my permission, I have a beautiful 13-year old HW80 ,22. So I'm very well served for all shooting scenarios.

I want to get into serious spring rifle competition shooting in the New Year and the HW97 is what the best of the competition are using. So, if we are going to get serious and take therm on, this one going to be the rifle to go with.

It's second hand and only 3-months old in absolute mint condition. Not a mark, not a scratch on it. The owner just couldn't get on with it and chopped it for a PCP. There's not a thing wrong with it as far as I can see. Some people just don't know what they've got!

I got it for £350. I reluctantly chopped my beautiful 12-year old TX200 .22 rifle for £200 and £150 cash. Got my competition rifle and an excuse to buy a new TX200 MkIII rifle!

I may yet change the thumbhole stock for the HW97's Bavarian sporter version or an HW77 stock. I haven't shot with a pistol grip on a rifle since my military service years. I'll see how I get used to it. But if you like shooting a spring rifle, you'll love this one.

Cheers Grayling.

Simon

Hi Roger.

I'd call my daughter 'Weihrauch'

'Feinwerkbau' ...Feinwerkfrau?? Fine- worked wife? Some might think that sexist!

Hi Mike. Thanks for the kind wishes :thumbs:

Andy, I'll give Sandwell a ring for their advice on the tuning kit. Let's arrange to get the rifle to you and work your magic on it mate!

Thanks and best wishes to all here.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Try Daystate Li's Simon at 7.9 gr fast and light,

My Mk 2 Rapid .177 cal only likes Bisley Magnums and Daystate Li's one at 7.9 gr the other at 10. + gr :icon_eek::icon_redface:.

atvb Daz 7.

Thanks mate. I will Daz courtesy of Elliott who's kindly sending me some to test. I'm delighted with the performance of Bisley Magnums with this 97KT.

On a windless day I'll test all these pellets out to 60 metres and see how well they fly over that distance.

Take care mate.

Simon

• Like 1