Aggressive saluki

I have a male saluki x borzoi, anyone know if it is an aggressive cross breed normally? I have problems with small dogs and some larger retreiver type dogs. He is ok with my female collie but they grew up together. He is 18 months old now and I have had him since 5 months. He has been done but has not made any difference and it started about 4 months ago before we had him done. He is fine with people and a couple of dogs he knew from before the aggression started. A pack of terriers chased him 3 times before this started and I think its since then that hes been shouting at dogs even ones that go past the front of the house when the front door is shut! This is annoying when he kicks off at 4am sometimes! He is very loyal with me most of the time and affectionate but has even growled at me at night sometimes if I go downstairs past his cage. He is about 27kgs at the moment. I muzzle him when he is off the lead for his run. He can launch at dogs unexpectedly when on the lead especially at night and has charged after some dogs on other occasions with muzzle on and lead off and it is frightening for the other owners and me. I do not mind that he is a good guard dog but I dont want to be guarded against other dogs, just anyone near

my back garden at night. He is good at this, but I dont really want the other stuff if possible!!

I thought borzois were supposed to be bad round small dogs anyway?

I have heard that borzoi are temperamental just like there Russian creators.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

male salukis can be very agressive and dominant this is a natural trait in the breed. Salukis are in general very aloof with other breeds and seem to have a sixth sense as to which are working dogs an

this one hates other dogs, and can do some damage. this ones got kizzy in it like riohog says, best not to let him get to the other dog nuff said, both 100% with people and other animals, they ju

funny you should say that about going for the throat my male saluki is just like that , and if you pull them off and the other dog is still in the field the bugger will go back for another g

Posted Images

Saluki a very human astute dig IMHO they seem too read people very quickly they seek to avoid those whom they won't get along with ive hares it said they one man dogs but that's not at all true my dog has many people he favours not all direct family either when I worked away he done things like get up m check around evey room in house before me missis went too bed sounds mad but it true

I think personaly it comes from being w very old breed of dog that once it leaves the litter tends too spend its time In the company of one man by this I mean centuries back in coo lands they even allowed in homes n beds of their masters whoses religion calls dogs unclean so they deffo been treated special in past and maybe when push comes to shove they have been equals cos if man and dog got no food in middle of nowhere desert I know whose chanes I'd fancy more of fetching the bacon home

The above just idle speculation ive formed thru keeping them for a couple of years but one thing I know for certain that's fact is only people who treat their saluki dogs right and by right I mran how saluki like to be kept hunted etc they the only ones who get anything out of them sort of dogs most just pronounce the dogs and breed as crap

• Like 1

Some are aggressive I dont mind it but find when they get hold they go straight for the throat and a trying to kill it were as the one that arent aggressive just give a few tears when they fight my bitch got a bit of a raggin when it was a pup its ok round dogs but if they are aggressive it'll kill them if you arent quick best thing I find if a dog comes trying to attack is to take your dog of the lead two bull terriers come to me I let dog off lead they had a little tyssle me dog took off with them chasing once it got them tired one started nashing off the other tryed following but me dog wouldnt let it off the field give it some right hammer I got him off poor dog was a right state then the owner appear as if by magic must a been sat watching thinking it would be a giigle and my dog isnt aggressive I let it off thinkng itll be to quick for them

funny you should say that about going for the throat my male saluki is just like that , and if you pull them off and the other dog is still in the field the bugger will go back for another go ,they aint the fluffy eared softies folk think they are .
yep just getting this nob head out of this habit :laugh: the other week he was playing with a greyhound which kept bowling him over so he latched onto its neck, not seriously but enough to worry me. I got the cnut off took him to the other side of the park and the bugger ran back to the greyhound for some more and now they are best mates. I am sure this was play though and not aggression ;) Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

My pup who's 8 months is nervous of strangers, both human and dogs ,there a couple on here that can vouch for that ,

He has some saluki in him don't know if it's that or the fact he had his needles late and couldn't go out until 13 weeks

ok after a while but needs watching

They gain more far more confidence far quicker when they can run flat out turn properly etc the quicker they out the nest and on the ground learning the quicker tney gain confidence IMHO once they can run like the wind they soon learn at worst on any situation tney can run away fast and be safe another observation pups progress far quicker and easier if out and about with older dogs by this I mean they learn to respond to what you want recall jumping flushing playing chasing its all good far better than one man rearing the pup alone

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

My pure saluki dog is very aggressive to other male dogs, for no reason, to the point that he can't be off lead in a public place, there was no trigger, he was never hurt or attacked,

he was really meek 'till one day he randomly jumped a three foot field fence to attack two on-lead bully type dogs who hadn't even looked at him. l was horrified

it can def. be a 'Male Saluki' trait.

• Like 2

It's staffys or any dog that basicaly looks well hard mine likes too posture at lol he also loathes really small dogs that can get underneath him lol he well behaved but has his days now and again they nasty sneaky fighters saluki IMHO nasty bite as well

• Like 2

They gain more far more confidence far quicker when they can run flat out turn properly etc the quicker they out the nest and on the ground learning the quicker tney gain confidence IMHO once they can run like the wind they soon learn at worst on any situation tney can run away fast and be safe another observation pups progress far quicker and easier if out and about with older dogs by this I mean they learn to respond to what you want recall jumping flushing playing chasing its all good far better than one man rearing the pup alone

It's staffys or any dog that basicaly looks well hard mine likes too posture at lol he also loathes really small dogs that can get underneath him lol he well behaved but has his days now and again they nasty sneaky fighters saluki IMHO nasty bite as well

:thumbs: :thumbs:

My saluki bull grey bitch plays very rough with all dogs, sometimes it can look quite disturbing particularly smaller dogs when she will just course them and pin them by the throat, but she has never hurt any of them at all, just play, and the dogs show no sign of distress either, I like to think of it as practice, but some dog owners get really worried by it.

My bitch will allow other dogs to be dominant over her if she's on their turf, and generally is quite timid if another dog asserts itself, BUT... If a dog becomes seriously aggressive she just goes feral, and I mean seeking to kill the other dog, no f***ing about, it scared me the first time when my dad's pat threw the bite in on her she nearly killed it in about three seconds. I was lucky to get in there and stop her in time.

Saluki are an ancient breed though, and as with most primitive breeds they tend to be a bit wilder by nature, they're not really meant for walkies in the park are they?

• Like 1

mine will let me know up the fields if we are not alone by a low growl, if they see some one the dog will give what i describe as a warning bark,there loyal ,and playfull and protective of the house,my wife and grandson,but the dog has an evil streak,and if a dog starts pushing him thats it ,gloves off,no holds barred and hes going to kill it,

• Like 3

mine will let me know up the fields if we are not alone by a low growl, if they see some one the dog will give what i describe as a warning bark,there loyal ,and playfull and protective of the house,my wife and grandson,but the dog has an evil streak,and if a dog starts pushing him thats it ,gloves off,no holds barred and hes going to kill it,

they all (saluki- types) seem a bit on the sharp side don't they, nature funny thing isn't it , as my dog very powerful with strong jaw , built like brick shit house lol, but daft as brush , lets other dogs boss him about regular ,and yet he prob 1 st and few ins bigger than most dogs he meets , ive had jacks chase him off lol , wouldn't like bump into some of these saluki's or xs they prob near kill him by the sound of few of them lol

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 14 week old sal cross who i walk with a friends 13 week old bull grey, its all good and well until the bull x starts getting dominant using it's bigger frame to push him about, when hes had enough they'll scrap which always result in the bull x running off squealing, im hoping that this will fizzle out as we plan on working them together or are we just pissing in the wind hoping that they will sort it out before they get to the age where they can cause eachother major damage

I have a 14 week old sal cross who i walk with a friends 13 week old bull grey, its all good and well until the bull x starts getting dominant using it's bigger frame to push him about, when hes had enough they'll scrap which always result in the bull x running off squealing, im hoping that this will fizzle out as we plan on working them together or are we just pissing in the wind hoping that they will sort it out before they get to the age where they can cause eachother major damage

they dogs pal if they fighting and 1 is backing off then they wont cause damage the dog backing off will always back off the pup will be the leader of the pack lol

if two a your dogs a fighting but none giving in and hurting each other then I split them up or one id be dead

• Like 2

all this agression seems off putting and possibly a bit of a lyability , if it were terriers they wouldn't breed from , never had dog aggression in none of my greys/ lurchers or terriers had a saluki lurcher many years back and he was a softy good guard dog tho but no different than a few of the others

Sounds very handy,I certainly wouldn't have a problem with those traits.;)