hunting instinct

I haven't had ferrets for a couple of years now . I got one again to get my son out in the field and enjoy the thing I done growing up. He is loving getting out on the fields Well it's not going to plan. I have taken the ferret to a couple of good spots with no luck yet. Shown it a rabbit skin to see if it was interested not very. lol most of the ferret I have kept would have went mad at a rabbit skin lol so went out again first thing with my son dog and ferret. Got got a couple of good chases. Decided to put the ferret down the holes the rabbits went to see if it would bolt any for the dog nothing ? Fferret is going down the burrow but isn't on the hunt for rabbits I don't think. No praydrive i don't think?

Where do I go from here another ferret?

Did you get the ferret from working stock ? again this is no guarantee a kit will work as there so much shit being breed out there but it gives you a better chance

They aint dogs mate most ferrets will work to some extent. Ive only ever seen one that was tottally useless. Try just feeding it rabbit with the jacket on. Or if not get rid and get another.

Never used a Rabbit skin with a Ferret, is your Ferret one of this years kits?

if so, it will still be immature, and wont come into its best till next Season.

I have a Jill here that was never out in its first Season,it was just well handled and looked after.

Took her out first time this Season and she went like a train, bolting Rabbits.

She was from a very long line of working Ferrets, so I had no worries about her working abilities.

If its a Kit, you can persevere, or try and get hold of an experienced Ferret for the Season, but this wont be easy.

How old is it? Some start slower than others. Had some start working at six months old, some have been useless until their second season. Those ones have always turned out to be good hard grafters once they click. My poley jill was useless her first season but on her third season now and is excellent, totally reliable and will turf out the most stubborn rabbit. Got a wee albino jill that I have high hopes for due to that very reason, but at this point she is just fecking about and bolting very little. I'm confident that it will be a different story next season.

If it's the ferret's first season then give it time.