carrying a air rifle

Just to clarify.....

There is no legal requirement to carry an air rifle in a gun slip in a public place

Just common sense says you do to avoid the possible and unesecerry shite that could happen.

In regards to carrying it IN a slip IN a public place, there is feck all anybody can do. Wether your going to the club or to see your nan!!

If your not doing anything wrong. What's the problem?

You're wrong mate...and not good advice to put on a public forum!!! You can't just throw your rifle over your shoulder and take it for a stroll around town!!!

The law states that you have to have "good reason" for carrying a firearm in a public place ie going to a RFD.

not Moxy thats wrong there, if you are over eighteen and have ANY good reason to be carrying it, your not breaking the law, just leaving yourself open to any plod that wants to give you a hard time, that means covered or not

What you on about mate???

You've just stated what i stated...that you have to have "good reason" for carrying a firearm in a public place.

Moxy clearly states that you can legally carry a firearm going to your nans or whatever which is wrong!!!

Hi guys, I am looking to join a gun range that is less then a 10 minute walk from my house and was wondering what is the law on carrying a gun that short distance. Obviously it will be in a gun bag. Thanks for your help

There ye go mate. Just to save you gettin done. Take from it what you will!

If you're not up to scratch with the laws it's worth having a look on the BASC website in the airgunning section. Everything you need to know with regards to the law is in there. It's well worth a read as in most cases you could easily find yourself in prison and being naive won't get you away with it.

Having an air weapon in a public place

Whilst this is touched upon above within the age advice; a person commits an offence if, without lawful

authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place;

(i) an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(ii) any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm.

Note:

Part (i) above relates to air weapons as per the definition at the beginning of this fact sheet and

part (ii) relates to all Section 1 firearms including especially dangerous air rifles and air guns. “public

place” includes any highway road within the meaning of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 and any other

premises to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or

otherwise.

Edited by AirgunGuy

Oh I give up!!

Unless your some kind of weirdo, asbo boy or just an idiot. You are going to own an air rifle for a reason.

Be it target shooting. Vermin control or just plinking cans on your permission.

So who's not to say you got on the bus or walked through the middle of town and changed your mind and decided to go home. Or call in for a vid from blockbusters. Etc etc.

You have a reasonable excuse to have that air rifle in your possession.

It's down to the cps to say you didn't. How the feck do they know.

Grey area. Litigation. Hear say. Your word against theirs. Whatever or however you want to dress it up.

• Like 1

Oh I give up!!

Unless your some kind of weirdo, asbo boy or just an idiot. You are going to own an air rifle for a reason.

Be it target shooting. Vermin control or just plinking cans on your permission.

So who's not to say you got on the bus or walked through the middle of town and changed your mind and decided to go home. Or call in for a vid from blockbusters. Etc etc.

You have a reasonable excuse to have that air rifle in your possession.

It's down to the cps to say you didn't. How the feck do they know.

Grey area. Litigation. Hear say. Your word against theirs. Whatever or however you want to dress it up.

Fully understand where you're coming from Moxy and apologies for coming across blunt but popping in for a vid or walking to your nans is not "reasonable excuse" so if seen and stopped, i would say that the cops will do you for it so it's not something i would do and i certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do it either.

"Reasonable excuse" to me is walking from your car to a RFD or going from your car across a public road to your permission...certainly not strolling around the streets. I would think that a judge would do you for something like that :thumbs:

Airgunguy. No problem.

Providing you demonstrate common sense, in my opinion it doesn't matter where your carrying your air rifle. Providing you have just cause to own one. But even that's open to interpretation because there is no law saying you can't.

Some folk don't have the pleasure of owning a car and have to take public transport to get from A to B.

To be honest and a point that has already been raised common sense should be expressed from both sides. I.e you and the law. If your not being an idiot then no eyebrows should be raised. In turn the old bill should have no reason to question you. Regardless of where you are or going with a rifle in a slip.

Yes take your air rifle to your nans after you have been and chosen a DVD from blockbusters. Whilst going on the bus.

BUT don't take it to court to make your defence in front of the judge whilst on your way shooting.

I'm kind of worried now as knowing my luck I will get a grumpy officer and will get arrested for it. I have tried to look at how to contact the local gun officer? On the Hampshire police website but it only seems to have a email address to contact them for applying for a gun licence and nothing else. Thanks again for everyone's help

I am new here. But my advice ( because i am old, and know a little from experiance ) is this:

1, just ring your local police station, if you want to be clear, and tell them where you are going, and when, etc. There really ISN'T a need to do this, but i can't hurt.

2, make damn sure your pellets are nowhere near your weapon.

3, make sure your weapon is in a bag, if you have one., or otherwise wrap it up in several blankets. In fact, even if you have a sack, and you are going to be walking the streets, wrap the sack in a blanket too; ie, try to make it NOT look like a weapon to a passing member of the public.

Thats it.Enjoy and have fun, because you are far from breaking the law here! Oh i don't live far from Havant either, 25 years ago i was a member of Fareham club :)

Be safe get a lift if not go down and ask at the cop shop or let them no when your going to be walking to the club that should keep them off your back and makes you look sensible as well

Cheers dan

Best advice so far imo. Keep yourself right mate :thumbs:

I don't know if this is just adding to the confusion or not, but the law makes no definitive difference about whether the gun is in your car or slung over your shoulder (in a slip or not). It just says, 'with you'. People seem to think that if it's in the boot of your car, in a bag or case it's somehow more lawful. It's not, it doesn't make a difference to the law, but it will perhaps make the plod think you take gun ownership/ public safety/ blah blah blah, a bit more seriously. To the letter of the law it's no more, or less, lawful to have it slung over your shoulder not in a bag, you either have a reasonable excuse to be carrying it with you or you don't. I'm reminded of Fieldsports Britain's film of Roy Lupton shooting feral pigeons in a shopping centre, he was very much in public and even shooting. If you can prove you have reason, then in theory you're fine however you chose to carry it. It's also worth noting that the responsibility is very much on you to prove you have good reason, not the plod to prove you don't. You can bet you bottom dollar the Roy Lupton had all his paper work in order and the signed contract for the job he was hired to do all with him that night! You can always take your chances and let a judge decide whether "I was going to my mates house to go plinking, and decided to stop off at my nans too" is 'reasonable' or not. But I'd rather not leave it up to them! As many folks have said already, take a few sensible measures (gun bag, unloaded, keep ammo separate etc.) and being in public should be fine. Note that being in a car on a highway is 'in public' too in the eyes of the law. If you walk about with a gun in your hands around town, expect trouble.

Regards,

Jim