i cant remember the whole article from shooting times but it was something like this, put skull in a bucket of cold water for 24 hours to remove any blood stains, skin off the head and remove as much of the inside's as possible , boil skull in a sauce pan [ non aluminum ?] keeping the antalas out of the water , add a couple of table spoons of soda crystals and boil till the flesh comes off , when all the flesh is off , put skull in a bowl and cover the skull with cotton wool soaked in hydrogen peroxide solution and leave covered over night which will really whiten the skull , i bought the soda crystals from a dreaded supermarket and the hydrogen peroxide came from the local chemist. I have done it myself and was very pleased with the results so i bought a skull mount and hung it in the front room .

i hope this will help , let us know how you get on.

old man

Edited by old man
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Gary; Old Man has the right idea for a 'fancy', decorative job, mate. I can't imagine where Ferret15 gets such information from ~ my own being from personal experiance ~ there being no apperture in the 'roof of the mouth', as I remember, to get at anything! :huh: Brains actually need raking, hooking and flushing out through the cerabel hole at the lower back of the cranium. And I promise ye; That's one of the more stomach churning and thankless tasks one can put upon oneself in life! As, come to that, is boiling animals heads in the kitchen. The smell is appalling!

If this skull has antlers, surely they are what ye wish to adorn this kennel front with? If so, cover ye mouth with something and pop the skull in a WorkMate and simply take a hacksaw to the bloody thing and cut off the top part. Scrub out what brain tissue's left, in a bucket of water, and bang it up there. Insects and the elements will take care of the rest in no time. No point messing around bleaching it beautifully white as it'll only get stained again, with age, in such a situation.

Alternatively, if ye in no great rush? Traditional method was to dump the whole shebang on an ants nest and cover it with a wooden box. Time the box rots away, skull would be ready! :laugh: Loosely constucted wooden box in a far corner of the garden would likely be a better bet, actually. Amazing how fast and thoroughly maggots and beetles will strip the tissue matter from it.

Just see ye Dog doesn't get at it and crunch the whole thing up! :icon_eek:

It's realy easy to do iv done load's.Best thing is to cut it to your desired cut which make's it real easy then to clean after boiling.Once cut place in a bucket of water for 24hrs out of harm's way of dog's etc.then boil in a stainless pan if you can as soda crystal's eat aluminium & do it out side.Only boil the skull not the antler's & boil for 15/30min max depend's of age of beast & skull mass.Then place it in cold water for 2/5min & then clean it out & scrape of any flesh you can or give it a blast with garden hose.Once you have cleaned it get peroxide i use 12% from hair dresser & it's a paste so i paint it on all over but not antler's & leave for 24hrs then wash & dry the peroxide off & you have a skull.

ditch the roof of the mouth i is thiner than any were else so thought this might be a good place to brake through if i had ment through a hole i wouldnt have said roof and have you ever put a tooth in coke it gone in a week ! i was only trying to think of things he allready has laying round the house. i agree that if all your after is the antlers to hacksaw them of which is what was done with mine see photo

http://uk.msnusers.com/ferretsofthejohnson...box.msnw?Page=1

im sure there are lots of ways of doing this as there is lots of ways of doing most things in life

im not saying my way is how it is done but thats how we cleaned ours we left it in coke and it ate the flesh and cleaned the bone

i didnt get my info from anywhere i just improvised and it worked for me

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No worries, F15. I was just sat there having freaky thoughts of deer swallowing their own brains as they oozed through into their mouths. Jack Daniels has a lot to answer for some nights! :laugh:

That thing about the coke. That is So hideous! Ye mean to say that shit can dissolve a tooth in seven days?! Jesus f*cking wept! They oughta Ban that shit! :icon_eek:

Ye know; I'm now sorely tempted to buy a can of that stuff and put things in it. Ooh! I have a fantastic idea! How about ..... wait for it! ..... Butter and Margerine! :D We can have a Leitrim Experiment Part Two :clapper:

No worries, F15. I was just sat there having freaky thoughts of deer swallowing their own brains as they oozed through into their mouths. Jack Daniels has a lot to answer for some nights! :laugh:

That thing about the coke. That is So hideous! Ye mean to say that shit can dissolve a tooth in seven days?! Jesus f*cking wept! They oughta Ban that shit! :icon_eek:

Ye know; I'm now sorely tempted to buy a can of that stuff and put things in it. Ooh! I have a fantastic idea! How about ..... wait for it! ..... Butter and Margerine! :D We can have a Leitrim Experiment Part Two :clapper:

if you have any dirty gold silver it cleans it up better than any metal cleaner ive ever tried and it works well on steal to i havent tried it on brass yet!!