Dogs Wrists

I'd just ask the questions, if I was in your boat, did the dog have plenty of road work & excercise before the season started and what type of ground I'd ran it over?

That said, different dogs can have all sorts of problems and though i've never owned one, I do know plenty of dogs can have wrist problems. Bull crosses can carry a bit up top with spindly sighthound legs supporting 'em, couple that with a bull in a china shop attitude and problems can arise.

No beaches here but i was gonna give her 6 weeks then take her out sepperate on football or cricket pitch thing is she runs everything 120% very very very fast

on the straight but not best turner this is were i think the problems may occur when running with the older Saluki cross !!!

thanks for replies anymore welcome never too proud to ask !!!

this is a prob ive had with my two recently, both are in there second season, plenty of road work. Its been one leg not both though after a course. one of my dogs was so bad i thought shed broke it. she was prescribed loxicom, 17ml once a day. she ways 17kg. sound as pound one hour later. I gave it 10 days and let her free run. All seems ok now. i did write a post asking if anyone bandages before coursing as i think ive seen this before.

Both legs does sound as if it may down to bony changes, at 15 months you may still find the growth plates are not set yet in that area and could be suffering due to conformation. Are the limbs straight ?

Edited by neilsherlock

Trouble is, if you have a full on, very determined pup/dog, and its conformation isn't designed for the sort of things it wants to do, you are always going to have problems. Never a good idea to let a pup run around with older dogs, especially if it is a heavily built animal with tons of drive.. Unfortunately, if the pup is already having wrist problems at this age, it sounds as though there may be a design fault: twisting and turning on legs that weren't necessarily made for that type of action will cause problems.

Not a lot you can do if the conformation is at fault, except follow Maxhardcore's excellent advice, and don't let the pup run with other dogs.

Have you got any photos of the pup from front on? Dogs very seldom get wrist problems if their feet turn out slightly, as in many Salukis and Saluki types, but dogs that are either very straight legged, or those which are slightly pigeon toed, where the feet turn inwards fractionally, are more likely to get wrist problems as the joint takes a pounding every time the dog turns or runs fast, with stress to the ligaments which are trying to hold the joint together when there is a lot of force driving through it but not in a straight line: if you see what I mean.

Difficult to explain without diagrams.

my worst nightmare when i owned racers.you can do your best and there diffrent treatments to help a dog with dodgy wrist,but in my own expierence it will return again and again,then ultimaeatly it will end its career.thing is there literally hundreds of wee tiny bones in the wrist,and if you get a wee chip of that bone floating about in there its soul destroying.spent loads of cash on wrist injuries.from lazer treatment,which does work to a degree,also cortisone injections.however its just a quick fix.hope its nothing serious mate.but id get a vet to xray it.at least you might discover what your dealing with.good luck

many thanks lads !!! scothunter the bone man said i could go to vet but he was 100% what it was, he gave me herbal leafs to soak at make a polst on her wrists then wrap bandage round, dog is unreal be gutted if she doesnt repair :cray: