keeping feerets warm through winter?

hi guys, iv got my ferrets in a cage in a 5ft plastic shed type thing,in theyr sleeping quarters theyr bedding includes shavings at the bottom,loads of hay and old clothes ect but am worried when the frost and snow comes it wont be warm enough, i want to insuate the shed or the hutch, apart from one of those silver blanket things that keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter, does anybody have any ideas of how i can insuate my ferret cage and shed and keep them warm through the winter months? thanks :thumbs: in advance. fts

Line it out with polystyrene sheets, it keeps it cool in the summer and warm in the winter, but to be honest plenty of hay or straw is sufficient, the biggest killer is wind chill so make sure the hutch is sheltered from wind

Chris

ferts can withstand the cold, its heat in the summer that kills, if you have more than one fert, they all pile in and keep each other warm

I have inside and outside quarters in my ferts court, inside is shavings,hay,straw and towels, yet Ive had them sleeping overnight in a hammock outside with snow on the ground

Edited by stubby
  • Like 2

Look at a healthy ferret's winter coat: double coat, super insulation properties. Obviously a ferret on its own will need plenty of bedding to make a nest deep inside. I prefer straw to anything else. Hay can get very musty and hot and 'sweaty'. Shavings can't be turned into a nest. We pack the nest box fairlyt loosely full of barley straw and the ferrets tunnel inside and hollow out a nest. There's no way they'll ever get cold like that. Any sleeping quarters need to be fairly large to allow a decent amount of straw, which equals good insulation. I guess the nest boxes in our court are around 60 x 40 x 40 centimetres, and are raised off the floor of the court by a wooden shelf. They also have the choice of different levels, going up to around a metre high: they tend to use the higher boxes in summer, and when it gets colder get down to ground level.

As said the ferret are fine with the cold its the heat they dont like as long as there sleeping quarters are draught free they will be fine my lots sleeping in there runs and it was below minus last night there in a big ball of shaving's and are happy enough

I have 4 in together and they always eject any extra bedding I try putting in with them no matter how cold it is.. They keep themselves warm no problem if you have multiple ferrets.. Just remember to check on the water bottles and make sure they are kept defrosted.. :thumbs: