Trail Cameras

I bought a 'trail cam' off of Ebay. Put it up in front of my squirrel feeder to see if i could get an idea of how many, and what time, the squirrels were coming to the feeder. Put it up at 11.30pm and had a look at it at 5.30 pm next day. I had capyured 189 video clips. What surprised me was that there was only one clip of a squirrel. The rest showed shit loads of rats, some very large, and mice from 11.32pm till 6.22 am, and from 12.19pm till 4.47, sort of every half hour(ish), magpies and jays. Came back late today but thought i would go and sit in the hide by the feeder just in case. Got there at 3.50pm and by 3.30 had shot 2 jays. I'm going back down there later tonight to see if i can shoot some of those rats. I'm glad i bought the camera, looks like it's going to be a handy piece of kit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i bought three trail cams for less than £120 each and they are the latest "all singing, all dancing" models , no glare from the infra red that is visible to the human eye and surprising what you DO SEE

two legged vermin ,winged and four legged vermin and as for the four legged you can see what time it is visiting and from what direction

also has other uses which i wont mention on here but they are worth the money

mine have video options, stills, and time delay as well as time stamp

others are being sold for the same money where the night light can be seen by the human eye so think carefully before buying someone a new camera

great bits of kit

got a stealth cam pro sniper for christmass, set it up yesterday around chicken pen was eagerly waiting on result. well got up to find my misses fancy birds had been killed bt a stoat so headed straight for the cam to see if i had got a pic, not f****n 1 of the stoat but got my neighbours ponnies and ma lurcher but no vermin.

is there specific ways of seting it up for smaller vermin? am new to photography so any tips would be greatly welcome atb cammy

Been using a cheap 2mp from deben for a while now in my chicken run to assess the roland situation. For around £100 the unit works well. Minimum focus is supposed to be 3m, but I find it more than adequate from 1m out. The ir unit needs damping down with some black tape for close in stuff otherwise it over exposes. I've also caught the local fox ghosting throught the garden.It does 15sec video clips too. I've mounted mine on one of those gorillapods rather than using the supplied strap. Trigger time is quoted at 0.9sec. Prices have dropped and specs have gone up since I purchased mine.

Hello Pledgey, the very best website I have found for trail cameras on the internet is called "chasing game.com". That website is frequented by a lot of very experienced trail cam users from all over the world, and some of those guys have up to twenty cameras set up on their land.

The "Chasing Game.com" website carries detailed user test results from all the latest trail cameras on the market, plus some of the most amazing collections of wildlife pictures taken with trail cameras owned by subscribers to that website.

From my limited experience with trail cameras, the ones to avoid are generally those made by Bushnel. They don't last long, and there are many, many customer complaints about them. The very best trail camera that I have found for my security surveillance so far has been the Covert Black 60 camera, which has a "black flash" that is invisble to the human eye, but which lights up the night like no other camera, for clear photos on pitch black nights.

The date and time stamp is pretty much standard on most trail cameras on the market, and that feature really helped me when it came time to lay ambush for the gentleman that had been helping himself to my 7-year old catfish brood-stock almost nightly for a good while. The catfish poacher's last visit was a short one, because he had to flee when the guard let fly over his head with a blast of bird-shot.

• 3 weeks later...

i bought three trail cams for less than £120 each and they are the latest "all singing, all dancing" models , no glare from the infra red that is visible to the human eye and surprising what you DO SEE

two legged vermin ,winged and four legged vermin and as for the four legged you can see what time it is visiting and from what direction

also has other uses which i wont mention on here but they are worth the money

mine have video options, stills, and time delay as well as time stamp

others are being sold for the same money where the night light can be seen by the human eye so think carefully before buying someone a new camera

great bits of kit

Can you pass on the info for them please?