BEST CALIBRE

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHATS THE BEST CALIBRE FOR ALL ROUND DEER STALKING.ANY ONE USE A 7X57.

Id have said a 7x57 is a bit on the strong side for English deer but at the end of the day its what you shoot best with. I know people who swear by a 30-06 :icon_eek:

Unless we're talking about a large Red or Elk/ Moose we're essentially looking at a thin skinned animal where a correctly placed boiler room or neck shot will take it down no probs. My vote based more on loads of research as opposed to practical experience would be a 6.5x55 (i'm saving for one at the moment ;) )

.243 seems popular for roe and fallow as opposed the more traditional English stalking cartridge of .308. Personally i'd rather put a smaller bullet in exactly the right spot than shoulder pin the beast with a 30-06 and waste half the meat :whistle:

I live in Scotland so not sure the rules down south but a 6.5x55 is a nice calibre but IMHO i prefer a .243 with 100grn bullets as i get excellent carcase condition on both Roe & Red. Does a nice job on Charlies as well.

Hope thats of some help. :drink:

I have a 243 and a 6.5x55 both very capable but on big fallow or red in the rut i think the latter has the edge, it has very low recoil but deffinetly needs a can, unless you like your ears to bleed that is. :whistling:

whats the pros and con of the two.243.6.5x55

Pros and cons, Now dont quote me on this but i would say that .243 bullets would be more readily avalible in almost every gun shop ?? And limited to 100grn which is not a problem but is right on the mark for Deer in Britain.

I have a 243 and a 6.5x55 both very capable but on big fallow or red in the rut i think the latter has the edge, it has very low recoil but deffinetly needs a can, unless you like your ears to bleed that is. :whistling:

whats the pros and con of the two.243.6.5x55

Both very flat shooters, but 6.5x55 out to a greater distance, 243 marginally cheaper ammo and most shops will keep a wider choice in this calibre, but 6.5 is readily available in most places as it is becoming very popular. Obviously the 6.5 has a much greater knock down as you can use 156 grn head, but will also take a much lighter one for a fairly hot fox round.

243 a little less recoil and quieter, i bought two steyr pro hunters one in each of the calibres, both s/s synthetics the only difference one has a swarovski on top the other a schmidt and bender, both have T8,s on them. They are very similar to shoot, if i had to choose then it would probably be the 6.5x55, simply because it is so versatile, but everyone has their own opinion, hope this is of some help.

All the best MT. B)

Hello had a 243 for year's loved it but fancyed a change.Wanted to be able to get slightly heavyer bullet weight in rifle.Thought of a 260 but expensive & a custom job.I now have a 25/06 which i homeload for but it's a 243 on steroid's & can go from 75g to 120g bullet's ideal for britian.It is also flater shooting than 243 so i find it very versitile as a fox/deer rifle it is growing very popular here now & i have put 6 people onto it 4 off keeper's.

Both very flat shooters, but 6.5x55 out to a greater distance, 243 marginally cheaper ammo and most shops will keep a wider choice in this calibre, but 6.5 is readily available in most places as it is becoming very popular. Obviously the 6.5 has a much greater knock down as you can use 156 grn head, but will also take a much lighter one for a fairly hot fox round.

243 a little less recoil and quieter, i bought two steyr pro hunters one in each of the calibres, both s/s synthetics the only difference one has a swarovski on top the other a schmidt and bender, both have T8,s on them. They are very similar to shoot, if i had to choose then it would probably be the 6.5x55, simply because it is so versatile, but everyone has their own opinion, hope this is of some help.

All the best MT. B)

versatile gun thats what im looking for,may be evern a bit of boar, 156grn would do :laugh: any good rifle makers in 6.5x55 you can suggest or may be a custom :hmm:

I'm saving to get a custom job at the moment and going for a trued remi 700 action with a fluted kreiger barrel bedded in a Mcmillan stock

I believe the ballistic coefficiency of the 6.5 round makes it flatter shooting to give it a greater MPBR. I'm also sure that i read that the sectional density of a 120 gr 6.5 round means that it hits harder than a 140gr 270 bullet. They are not designed to go as quick as some bullets but this suits the shape of the bullet. Like MT says... the bullet variety is quite good and if you make up some hot loads out of an 85 / 95 ballistic tip you'll have an ace long range fox rifle (thats my plan anyway).

Not knocking the .243 in anyway... as V-Max illustrates with his posts it's an excellent cal., very flat and versatile... especially if you home load.

:victory:

I'm saving to get a custom job at the moment and going for a trued remi 700 action with a fluted kreiger barrel bedded in a Mcmillan stock

I believe the ballistic coefficiency of the 6.5 round makes it flatter shooting to give it a greater MPBR. I'm also sure that i read that the sectional density of a 120 gr 6.5 round means that it hits harder than a 140gr 270 bullet. They are not designed to go as quick as some bullets but this suits the shape of the bullet. Like MT says... the bullet variety is quite good and if you make up some hot loads out of an 85 / 95 ballistic tip you'll have an ace long range fox rifle (thats my plan anyway).

Not knocking the .243 in anyway... as V-Max illustrates with his posts it's an excellent cal., very flat and versatile... especially if you home load.

:victory:

That will set you back a bob or two, deffinetly worth the money though. The 6.5x55 is a very popular choice i am told for long range target shooting, certainly out to 600 yds down here on the military range, not that affects me as i probably could not see let alone hit a target past 300 so not a chance at 600. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

For versatility, .243, IMHO, or if it's a dedicated deer rifle the 6.5x55, i used the 95 gr nosler's on our three species of deer, here in ireland, and only had one that run, and had to be tracked, and that was simply down to poor bullet selection. needless to say it didn't happen again.

95gr nosler, or 100 gr hornady's both excellent as long as you know the limit's anything past 225 yards or so, i stalk in to at least this distance.

then for foxes 58 gr v-max or 70 gr blitzking's doing the business. B)

good luck. one to think on...... :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...