SELLING PROVEN DOGS

This gets my goat, not proven cause thats been done to death on here over the years, but selling older dogs,Iam a dog man always have been always will be, why the thomas cook do you sell an older dog, if its worked for you ? the good times the bad times feck we have all had em, but sell it dont make fecking sense, if youve worked a dog for seven or eight years or two or three and its past it move it to the house, dont try your cock and bull that they wont take to it as your fooling no real dog man, only the fly by nights on here. You carn't keep two together bull shit, whos the boss you or the dog,it fecking pisses me off to see some of the shit posted on here as to why people sell so called proven dogs. any way rant over, dig deep and throw well back :toast:

• Like 9

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This gets my goat, not proven cause thats been done to death on here over the years, but selling older dogs,Iam a dog man always have been always will be, why the thomas cook do you sell an older dog,

because they arent really any good

All it takes to aviod all the drama is to take the proven dog hunting yourself. If the man doing the selling doesn't agree, and you buy it anyway, or you were too busy to see for yourself... who's to

There are valid reasons for moving a good older dog. I just bought a seven year old bitch from a man in Slovakia. I have two of her sons that made dogs of themselves, and when he offered her I knew it was because of the rules of the club he is a member of. His name means something in my book, so if he says it's a good dog, I believe it. He could have sold her to me for a ton of money but he didn't. I got her for the price of a pup which is pretty generous in my book. I think that's the catch though... His name is good because he is honest, and his dogs are consistantly what he says they are.

TatiaA1.jpg

This is the bitch and the picture below is one of her sons.

576908_417849824942313_686074607_n.jpg

• Like 4

That's a beautiful bitch jawn....

Personally, I tend to keep all of my working stock until they die of old age. My primary hunting is on hogs, so even when the dogs are too old to take out in the woods or the swamp, they are still VERY helpful aids in training/starting up puppies. I know that everyone does things for their own reasons though, so I am not one to pass judgement. I'm not the one feeding/cleaning up after that person's dogs. When it comes to giving/selling the dogs away to someone who will do right by it, that's one thing. Now if someone were taking a seasoned working veteran and just dumping them at the pound or something of that nature, I'd have a big problem with that for sure.

• Like 1

@Uphilldoc

I can't get my head around what you mean by they lose a step ? In my experience a good terrier doesn't become that true working dog you could bet your life on untill it's three to four year old. I don't even class them as a fully made dog untill after their third season, is it gameness or working ability and drive your after ?.

As for parting with older terriers, i've parted with tons and i've got to part with a few others sooner or later. Some of us breed or keep a few just so we get more of a chance of getting the right dog for the right job and get the stamp your after.Some terriers may be good earth dogs but they could be to big for what you want or just to hard. Don't class everyone as a pedlar or dealer as some of us just enjoy the process of entering terriers and watching the pennies drop.

Edited by GOBSHITE
  • Like 4

@Uphilldoc

I can't get my head around what you mean by they lose a step ? In my experience a good terrier doesn't become that true working dog you could bet your life on untill it's three to four year old. I don't even class them as a fully made dog untill after their third season, is it gameness or working ability and drive your after ?.

As for parting with older terriers, i've parted with tons and i've got to part with a few others sooner or later. Some of us breed or keep a few just so we get more of a chance of getting the right dog for the right job and get the stamp your after.Some terriers may be good earth dogs but they could be to big for what you want or just to hard. Don't class everyone as a pedlar or dealer as some of us just enjoy the process of entering terriers and watching the pennies drop.

well said again mate

This gets my goat, not proven cause thats been done to death on here over the years, but selling older dogs,Iam a dog man always have been always will be, why the thomas cook do you sell an older dog, if its worked for you ? the good times the bad times feck we have all had em, but sell it dont make fecking sense, if youve worked a dog for seven or eight years or two or three and its past it move it to the house, dont try your cock and bull that they wont take to it as your fooling no real dog man, only the fly by nights on here. You carn't keep two together bull shit, whos the boss you or the dog,it fecking pisses me off to see some of the shit posted on here as to why people sell so called proven dogs. any way rant over, dig deep and throw well back :toast:

Is this aimed at me?

I

GOBSHITE-Im not talking specifically about terriers, just dogs in general. From 6 years old on they are on the the decline physically. I think dogs are at their best from 3-5, and thats when I enjoy them the most. Im not big on puppies either LOL

Im not talking about discarding the proven dogs, by any means. Im talking about getting them in hands of folks that will benefit from them, and treat them with the proper respect they have earned. Im always working with the expectation that the up and coming stock will be as good or better than the current stuff, so Im not afraid to let some go. There have been a few over the years that have made it to the retirement couch...but for the most part they are hired on for a specific job, and when a better employee comes along, they are sent to work for a different company.

Take care.

• Like 3

My two bob for what it's worth , I havnt got a problem with gifting a dog to someone that's going to respect that dog the way I have ! Also in theory I have nothing against someone selling a proven dog in certain situations. But me personally would find it hard to get rid of a dog that had given it's all for me! In fact I don't think

you could give me any sort of money for a

proven dog that I had reared and brought on from a pup IMHO

• Like 2

Doc you get to hunt in ways most of us can only dream of. I'd bet that the folks that get those dogs are as pleased as I was to get the old bitch. I don't know you, but if I hunted running dogs I know that I would be.

@marshman, I respect that but is a proven dog always that one in a hundred that takes the spot of an up and comer until it dies. What's wrong with moving one in order to keep hunting, especially when the move will help the next man?? I have proven dogs that aren't that one in a hundred or more. That doesn't make them bad dogs... just not that rare dog.