Remembrance Sunday

die in vain unlike the soldiers dieing in afganistan in modern times i will also teach my grandkids to respect this day.

I think that's a bit of a bold statement Poacher. After 911 should we have really not done anything? I would'nt say any ISAF troops are dieing in vain.

"Lest we forget"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a while since 11/11 has been on a Sunday. I trust everyone will take 2 minutes out of their busy lives at 11.00 Sunday morning to remember the fallen. I certainly will, wherever I happen to

show some respect for the fallen, and take your pathetic squabbles to pms

Posted Images

i dont think he meant it to sound disrepectfull born,but it is a bit of a shambles over there.we have supposedly allies within the afghan forces,who from time to time turn thier guns on us.lets be honest here,we will pull out of that shithole one day,and within a guess id say a couple of month,the taliban willbe running the show again.like ive said before ,greatest of respect the lads and wish them all a safe return.

• Like 3

I didn't take it to be disrespectfull. I know that Poacher has the respect for all past and present British troops. I know what you are both saying but I think they have been tasked with a hell of a difficult job. Western forces will allways have an influence in that country from now on for the very reason you mention. Untill at least they feel there is no longer a threat. It's a shithole but military action had to be taken. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

die in vain unlike the soldiers dieing in afganistan in modern times i will also teach my grandkids to respect this day.

I think that's a bit of a bold statement Poacher. After 911 should we have really not done anything? I would'nt say any ISAF troops are dieing in vain.

"Lest we forget"

I stand by my statement and even a worst travesty is the british born troops who died and came back mentally and physically scared from iraq.

oh come on dell,every soldier who has fought in any battle,there has been a good few came back not the same person.you can pummel as much training into a soldier and prepare them for battle,but at the end of the day no matter how much they excel themself in training.no one can predict how that soldier will react when the bullets are flying.some handle it well,others fall to bits,its the profession they chose.

ww1 imho was well im not going to say pointless,cause i would never direspect thier memory or thier sacrifice for,but that was handled badly,but thats not the fault of the squaddie,just bad leadership.

@born i totally get what your saying,and yes something had to be done in afghanastan without a doubt.however do you think boots on the ground waas the best choice?i say that cause the powers that be should have learnt from the russia invasion of afghanastan. a super power with the most up to date weapons and aircraft of the day,and military who didnt give two shits for human rights and were brutal in thier occupation,got thier arse handed to them and sent packing.i would have certainly took that a bit more seriously when i made the decision to send in troops.granted the west helped in the russians withdrawal without a doubt,but we should have taken into account that those c**ts would not go quietly.or did we think we could achieve something the russians couldnt.who knows just hope they all the troops back home and not get bogged down there for another 10 year.

oh come on dell,every soldier who has fought in any battle,there has been a good few came back not the same person.you can pummel as much training into a soldier and prepare them for battle,but at the end of the day no matter how much they excel themself in training.no one can predict how that soldier will react when the bullets are flying.some handle it well,others fall to bits,its the profession they chose.

ww1 imho was well im not going to say pointless,cause i would never direspect thier memory or thier sacrifice for,but that was handled badly,but thats not the fault of the squaddie,just bad leadership.

@born i totally get what your saying,and yes something had to be done in afghanastan without a doubt.however do you think boots on the ground waas the best choice?i say that cause the powers that be should have learnt from the russia invasion of afghanastan. a super power with the most up to date weapons and aircraft of the day,and military who didnt give two shits for human rights and were brutal in thier occupation,got thier arse handed to them and sent packing.i would have certainly took that a bit more seriously when i made the decision to send in troops.granted the west helped in the russians withdrawal without a doubt,but we should have taken into account that those c**ts would not go quietly.or did we think we could achieve something the russians couldnt.who knows just hope they all the troops back home and not get bogged down there for another 10 year.

When you happen to know one personaly a lad who was mentioned in the book the paddy and the prince by Brendan Ingle as one of the most promising boxers he had come across as a young lad to see him know as a young man with his head in bits is not very nice due to his time in iraq is not very nice.

I dunno what the right course of action should have been. Hindsight is always viewed with 20/20 vision. Bombing the shit out of them would have knocked them back but left the whole country hating the west and not just the taliban and so probably caused a sudden surge of wannabee terrorists. I dunno, but something had to be done. It's not like previous wars where the enemy wear a marked uniform and two countries fight it out untill one surrenders. The manual is still being written on how to dig out and kill these new age terrorist organisations......

Edited by Born Hunter

i here you dell,but would he have been any diffrent if it had been a war somewhere else?plenty soldiers (and i know a few)came back from ulster who were pretty f****d up in the head,from what they witnessed.very good mate of mine who was in the scots guards had a mate shot by a sniper as he stood next to him.i know for a fact that affected him badly,even years after.war isnt nice .dont remember offhand who said it but it was quote that stuck with me.

"ive seen things.that no man should ever have to see,but thats the nature of war".

now take time out on sunday

THIS LAND WAS BUILT ON BLOOD AND TEARS, THE SACRIFICE OF 2000 YEARS

THE ROMANS CAME ,, THE VIKINGS TOO SO WHY SHOULD WE BE AFRAID OF YOU ..?

SO MARK MY WORDS ... AND MARK THEM WELL,, IT WAS 1066 SINCE WE LAST FELL...

WHEN IT COMES TO A FIGHT WE HATE TO LOSE ,,, SO RESPECT OUR DEAD ... OR LEAVE

YOU CHOOSE ,,,,

• Like 2

All i know i attended my local rememberance day service with my wife and my 8 year old daughter (who was with her brownie contingent) proudly wearing my medals and thinking about the sacrifices past and present that men and women have made for this country.

• Like 2