Full-time work and Lurcher ownership

pups adapt to routine pretty quickly, i have been through the puppy stages with all of mine with the exception of 1 lurcher, i have had no problems, the sooner you teach your puppy the routine the better, i have a puppy here at the moment which is fitting into my routine very well, as long as they have a nice dry weatherproof kennel and bed to cosy into and plenty of food and water then they are happy, i have the company of other dogs for my pup but she is left herself for small amounts of time when i'm home just to get her used to it, it's not hard to teach 1 pup a routine or 2 :thumbs:

• Like 2

Agree aslong as there needs are met then there should be no problems. My bull cross used to be in his little kennel and run was let out and played with when i came home for lunch then put back and as soon as i was back home let out and interacted with. He's turned out fine. ATB

I work offshore on a 2 on 2 off rotation, my mrs looks after my dogs for me whilst im away but she works full time also. She walks them on a morning then they are outside during the day in their kennel with bones and have full run of the garden to keep them occupied. Once she finishes they get a good run off the lead on our permission. Whilst im away she keeps them in the house over night then on the morning the cycle starts again.

This changes again once im home for 2 weeks me and the dogs are out for hours during the day, in the car out mooching, visiting people and also working on the nights lamping etc. All mine are happy healthy dogs, they will adapt to you providing they are fed well, exercised good and have a warm draft proof bed to snuggle in to. ATB wez

there not a second job no way i work full time the dog gets out every day before work and after had mine from 6 week old no bother and it is not in a kennel you would not know he was here only see him when you first walk in no bother at all atb

I work full time and different shift patterns, i have quite a few lurchers and terriers, they are all quite happy in the kennel when i'm at work and get out for a good walk either morning or afternoon depending on my shift, they are all usually pottering around the house with me when i'm home, they are no trouble whatsoever, i don't look at them as hard work or a second job, they are a joy to have and are the best company in the world after a hard day at work :)

Same here, I work a 3 shift pattern. You just fit in what you can around your shifts. You still get plenty time out with the dogs

As already said, routine and plenty of exercise are the key imo. As stated if you get a pup take some holiday time get them into the routine of being left gradually over the week. A knackered pup is usually a happy pup cheers. All the lurchers I grew up with fitted into a working routine and were generally bone idol anyway.

they are a very time consuming hobby,more so imo if they live outdoors alone.

and don't forget circumstances change.

when i first got my lurcher i worked 40 hours a week monday to friday and it was easy,now i work 7 days a week between 70 and 82 hours and have to get in a fair bit of training as well,so even just looking after the dogs to the bare minimum (cleaning out kennel,walking,spending some time with them each day etc) does become a chore sometimes,let alone actually working them.

when i first got my lurcher i worked 40 hours a week monday to friday and it was easy,now i work 7 days a week between 70 and 82 hours and have to get in a fair bit of training as well,so even just looking after the dogs to the bare minimum (cleaning out kennel,walking,spending some time with them each day etc) does become a chore sometimes,let alone actually working them.

if it is a chore to you get shut and then the dogs get the care and work they need be better for both you and dogs imo atb

theres only one answer to that give then to somebody who will use them for what there meant for if its a chore or change your job :thumbs:

theres only one answer to that give then to somebody who will use them for what there meant for if its a chore or change your job :thumbs:

getting a new contract the end of jan.

just saying things can change and a dog is big a big commitment that ultimately is only down to you.

my missus used to walk my dogs sometimes when i worked 40 hours,but since i took on more hours she says she won't.

you can't rely on anyone except yourself.

Edited by neems
  • Like 2

Don't worry its a lurcher lol. Warm bed full belly after a stroll will sleep all day. Lazy thieving b*****ds to be honest lol.

Wouldn't be without one mind. As long as the c**t stops eating me mince pies every time the f*****g door bell rings lol.

Karpman

Interesting replies lads, thanks. I think it's confirmed what I thought, definately achievable as we will be dedicated to him/her and make sure it gets the walks/attention needed. Will keep a eye on here and the local feeds newsletter adverts and see what comes up.

Interesting replies lads, thanks. I think it's confirmed what I thought, definately achievable as we will be dedicated to him/her and make sure it gets the walks/attention needed. Will keep a eye on here and the local feeds newsletter adverts and see what comes up.

have a look on the for sale on here some nice litters on there take your time think how big or small you want your dog to be and what would be the best cross for the land your going to work atb