Full-time work and Lurcher ownership

How many people on here work full-time and have a lurcher?

Me and the missus really want a dog but the house will be empty from 8-5.30. Obviously the dog would get a walk on the morning and a good walk / mooch inthe evening, and long walks at the weekend. Could this be feasable? Could a Beddy/whippet be content in a kennel during the day? I'm really smitten on the idea of going for a mouch and having a small lurcher dog to catch a rabbit or 2 and whatever else. I love reading the stories on here and seeing the pictures, it just makes me want to get out and have my own stories!

• Like 1

ive got a airdale lurcher (1 1/2 years old) and a beddy whippet (14 weeks old). i dont kennel mine while me and the mrs are at work but let them have the run of the house. (puts off thieving buggers) Never had much trouble though as theyde both rather play with the chews and toys i leave them out or looking at the ceiling from the couch. hope it helps :)

Edited by chris k

As said above they can be hard work and are a second job really.

I work full time and so do most of my mates with dogs.

Personally I think kennelling is the way to go, much better for a dog to be in its own space for the day than stuck indoors where it has to hold its bladder all day - or mess the house.

Mine get a quick walk or jog in the morning, then a meaty bone (usually lamb rack) to occupy them for a couple of hours and to try to stop the urge to chew the kennel if they get bored.

Then when I get home they get a big walk unless we plan to go lamping that night and I leave them, then a good meal after lamping or an hour after the evening walk.

Most weekends I try to spend Bonding with the dogs, take them up my mum and dads for a brew, take them out in the car, have them pottering around the house etc.

Good luck, you won't look back!

Gaz

• Like 4

How many people on here work full-time and have a lurcher?

Me and the missus really want a dog but the house will be empty from 8-5.30. Obviously the dog would get a walk on the morning and a good walk / mooch inthe evening, and long walks at the weekend. Could this be feasable? Could a Beddy/whippet be content in a kennel during the day? I'm really smitten on the idea of going for a mouch and having a small lurcher dog to catch a rabbit or 2 and whatever else. I love reading the stories on here and seeing the pictures, it just makes me want to get out and have my own stories!

If you decide to get a lurcher, if at all possible collect it to coincide with a weeks holiday to get it bedded in with its surroundings :thumbs:

Don't spoil it rotten in the house the first week, then expect it to be content in its kennel & run on returning back to work.

I'm lucky, I've got all the time in the world, I'm retired lol

• Like 1

I work full time and my misses works nights but if she's out for whatever reason the pup has the run of the garden and the kitchen I will soon have a new pup (earlier than what I wanted really but couldn't resist) and I will be building a kennel and rund to which they can both go in there during the day. Atb

Some people make owning a dog sound like hard work. FFS there's no that much to it really is there......

Sterls, your situation is perfectly fine and the dog will be more than happy with it. I would advise you to build a kennel but it's not neccessary. Keep to a routine and the dog will be fine. You'll figure out the rest with experience. :thumbs:

• Like 3

Some people make owning a dog sound like hard work. FFS there's no that much to it really is there......

Sterls, your situation is perfectly fine and the dog will be more than happy with it. I would advise you to build a kennel but it's not neccessary. Keep to a routine and the dog will be fine. You'll figure out the rest with experience. :thumbs:

your right :thumbs:

key word routine :thumbs: once you`ve got a kenneled dog into a routine its relativley easy -- mine are out at 6 in a morning light feed and away then out for an hour at night weekends are differant but same rountine 7 days a week and they know when its a weekend :yes:
  • Like 2

key word routine :thumbs: once you`ve got a kenneled dog into a routine its relativley easy -- mine are out at 6 in a morning light feed and away then out for an hour at night weekends are differant but same rountine 7 days a week and they know when its a weekend :yes:

Bang on there stig. The dogs tend to be a bit more flexible at weekends. You just get a feel for the dogs and their behaviour and act accordingly. I understand new owners panic a bit and worry, I did. But owning a dog really isn't that big a deal imo. Get the dog in a routine and it'll be as happy as a pig in shit with your situation Sterls.

I work full time and different shift patterns, i have quite a few lurchers and terriers, they are all quite happy in the kennel when i'm at work and get out for a good walk either morning or afternoon depending on my shift, they are all usually pottering around the house with me when i'm home, they are no trouble whatsoever, i don't look at them as hard work or a second job, they are a joy to have and are the best company in the world after a hard day at work :)

• Like 2