Ferreting in the dales with the ankle biters

I took the kids and dogs for a blast out with the ferrets on their season debut on a couple of spots I have in the dales. Both farms have a couple of warrens that the rabbits dont venture far from so are difficult to lamp with the dogs so I had been meaning to nip round with the ferrets to get them sorted.

Ferreting with the kids is pretty difficult at times are they make a shed load of noise/singing/arguing etc (they only 5 and 3) and with it being pretty cold today I had planned to keep it short as possible.

Couple of pics of the first farm we went on.

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02346.jpg

DSC02341.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

The 2nd place was important to do as the rabbits sit only a couple of yards out from the wood on a night and its a 100+ yards slip at best to get to them on the lamp. Also farmers lad who is mates with my eldest wanted to come with us so ended up with a 3rd kid to watch for this one

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

I would normally use the long net to set across the top of this warren as most of the bolters make a dash over the brow of the hill and with the undergrowth and holly trees its difficult for the dogs to catch them. But I had left the sodding thing in the car and that would have meant a walk back with kids that were already getting tired/cold. Lost 4-5 over the brow of the hill like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQliBmZraCU&feature=youtu.be

Edited by lapin2008
  • Like 11

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took the kids and dogs for a blast out with the ferrets on their season debut on a couple of spots I have in the dales. Both farms have a couple of warrens that the rabbits dont venture far from so

Thanks mate, they have done enough to be cool with the ferrets and not to plough into the nets etc and make themselves generally useful but they do only get a couple of hours every couple of months. D

haha they do all that sort of stuff as well! I actually took the video because my little one had been singing 'old MacDonald had a farm' at the top of his lungs, as soon as the camera came out they al

Nice one mate. Out myself today in the magical dales! But it was clear as a bell all day. Looks well foggy in a few of those pics.

My kids weren't too bothered in coming today so it meant we could get on.

Hope they enjoyed it and there wasn't too much whining when they got cold and bored.

Well done, looks like you had a good day out but..ferrets,nets,dogs and kids..wow i take my hat of to ya. :thumbs:

Luckily the dogs sort of look after themselves and walk at heal other wise it would just be too much! I have to delegate the carrying of some bits to the kids, even got my 5 year old to carry the bag, until it started to fill up then I got given it back

• Like 1

still misty round here even now, we got 100 yards out the car and one of them announces they had a hole in their welly and feet were wet ffs so there were isolated pockets of whining throughout but on the whole they love it.

And the little one got pissed off towards the end waiting for the ferret to come back out so it was definitely time to call it a day in the end

Thats what ferretings all about, getting the youngsters out and enjoying the countryside, I saw a fella today with a young kid in tow walking over the motorwaybridge, him carrying a box of ferrets and the kid a bag of nets, It was pissing it down and they was soaked, just popping over the old railway embankment for a couple of rabbits...........................made me smile.

• Like 1

Thats what ferretings all about, getting the youngsters out and enjoying the countryside, I saw a fella today with a young kid in tow walking over the motorwaybridge, him carrying a box of ferrets and the kid a bag of nets, It was pissing it down and they was soaked, just popping over the old railway embankment for a couple of rabbits...........................made me smile.

My ferrets dont get out as much as they should these days, I would struggle to justify keeping them on if it wasn't for taking the kids as its almost the only time I go ferreting these days

What a nice way to spend time with the kids mine would be up trees and sword fighting with sticks in no time atall fair play mate,like the look of the brindle n white dog atb ob.

haha they do all that sort of stuff as well! I actually took the video because my little one had been singing 'old MacDonald had a farm' at the top of his lungs, as soon as the camera came out they all just fell silent for some reason!

Its just about setting your expectations and not thinking you are going to get a massive bag out of the day, often once the rabbits hear 'twinkle twinkle little star' being shouted from above ground they choose to take their chances with the ferrets!

• Like 4

lol. looks a great day out, thats what its all about! cute there in they little army/camo outfit, i had a set like that only the other day there were 13 holes i netted 12 and luck would have it, it bolted out of the only hole the net wasnt on, i didnt take alot of nets has only having a stroll , good luck for the rest of the season mate, atb fts

good stuff Dom... you look to be getting quite agile mate. . .hows it going..? I would have had one of them little uns dangling by its feet down that hole,pulling the bunny out...lol.

Its great to see the younger generation showing an interest.

lol. looks a great day out, thats what its all about! cute there in they little army/camo outfit, i had a set like that only the other day there were 13 holes i netted 12 and luck would have it, it bolted out of the only hole the net wasnt on, i didnt take alot of nets has only having a stroll , good luck for the rest of the season mate, atb fts

Same thing mate, I had 12 nets with me and had left the long net in the car. The warren where the vid was filmed is all soft sandy type stuff and there is probably about 50+ holes under all the bracken, rabbits bolt and head directly for a 2nd warren the other side of the brow of the hill so its ideal for the long net if I had of brought it out with me but such is life.

good stuff Dom... you look to be getting quite agile mate. . .hows it going..? I would have had one of them little uns dangling by its feet down that hole,pulling the bunny out...lol.

Its great to see the younger generation showing an interest.

Agile is a strong term mate...lol

I am getting there slowly, getting down to reach the down the holes is always easy enough, its normally getting back up thats a bugger!

I have been meaning to give you a bell vin but been manic with work. I have been saving one of my local permissions that should be pretty good for a decent ferret in the not too distant. I will check the calandar at work and be in touch shortly