A hard day digging with young kits

Today was the first day out with my 3 home bred youngsters and their Dad. We have been clearing out a farm lately and we decided to have a go on the open sets with the youngsters. We have taken upwards of 100 rabbits from this particular farm in the last month or two. We have just lately been lamping it with jet and maggie and taking good hauls. So we werent expecting much action.

Bob my labradoodle gun dog was designated hole marker/retriever as the sets are on a steep gill side and running up and down it all day is bloody hard work.I had the 410 and my lad the franchi 12g. I had been up at the shoot on sat and i fancied airing the 410 today instead of the usual yeoman. Both the guns used today have synthetic stocks which makes cleaning them easier (Just as well).

Before we got to the sets we had Bob work the bracken and he put up 3 pheasant and a partridge but no rabbits. The sets reached the young ferrets were put in where father and son albinos killed in at a hole mouth. and this was the script for the next few hours. The ferrets just at in the warrens running around and eventually being killed in, every single set ended in a dig after a long wait. Only 2 of the total of ten rabbits was shot from a clean bolt!

The youngsters all made a good go of things and i was happy enough with their performance, the old fella was spot on as usual and big Bob was his usual reliable self. The rabbits are obviously aware that death awaits a bolting rabbit so have took their chances underground today.

The view across the moors and distant hills was spectacular and the bit of frost set the day off a treat. As i said to the lad it was a hard fought 10 rabbits but if we had taken 10 elsewhere on our other permissions we would have been a good day!