wild boar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always get a chuckle when Poms start talking about pig hunting. I grew up with it and still go every now on the My son just walked back in from a weekend catching pigs here in aus we use just about an

Thats not fact, thats fiction mate, Ive lived in Oz for years before moving out to UK. I can safely say that many many dogs are single handed boar stoppers, and a heck of a lot of them will go for the

Beast:   My bully/cattle dogs  

Posted Images

no dog will kill a wild boar, any dog has a chance with one, whether it be a terrier/whippet type that grabs their nuts or a big deerhound or bull X that holds them by the ear, any breed will do the job there's just different ways of getting the job done.

what sorta of dog would take a wild boar, in the legal circumstances, would you need something with a fair bit of stamina, or something with alot of drive and braun, or a general lurcher and hope for the best? whats your opinions thanks!

any thing thats not to hard but brave enough to stay close enough to keep them there. there are dogs that will get stuck in but they dont do many and met with a big one wouldnt live long!

If you look at places like oz and america they will use a few dogs to do the job, dogs to find em dogs to bail em and dogs to hold em. The holders tend to be heavy mastive/dane/wolfhonds types all sorts of different crosses. Yet the one dog thats got more balls than all of them and will run all day and get stuck in is the much much smaller Jagd Terrier, they heve been used on boar in Europe for years, great little dogs, I would love one!

If you look at places like oz and america they will use a few dogs to do the job, dogs to find em dogs to bail em and dogs to hold em. The holders tend to be heavy mastive/dane/wolfhonds types all sorts of different crosses. Yet the one dog thats got more balls than all of them and will run all day and get stuck in is the much much smaller Jagd Terrier, they heve been used on boar in Europe for years, great little dogs, I would love one!

We hunt a lot different to the americans, we have dogs that will find off the ute and we strive for the dog that will do everything, find the pig by it's nose off the ute, catch the pig, hold it or bail it up until you get there, you stick that one and you're onto the next one... and in saying that I don't know many people that use these mastiff dane wolfhound types

We hunt a lot different to the americans, we have dogs that will find off the ute and we strive for the dog that will do everything, find the pig by it's nose off the ute, catch the pig, hold it or bail it up until you get there, you stick that one and you're onto the next one... and in saying that I don't know many people that use these mastiff dane wolfhound types

Hi Mate, not long moved back over from Oz, was using them as an example of some of the breeding in the pig dogs I have seen over there and it not hard to go on to the internet and find them advertized all over the country. Where abouts are you based?

Hi Mate, not long moved back over from Oz, was using them as an example of some of the breeding in the pig dogs I have seen over there and it not hard to go on to the internet and find them advertized all over the country. Where abouts are you based?

vic/nsw border all the piggers use pointer Xs, bully stags and that around here

the A/B seems very good on them, from the vids ive seen .I think in most countrys they use hounds or german terriers to find the pigs, but the A/B would have the power+ tenacity to hold it till its shot or knife . :thumbs: and carnt see the point in x them to hounds as you would loose what the A/B is all about guts :yes:

vic/nsw border all the piggers use pointer Xs, bully stags and that around here

I was up in SE QLD, miss it, great place. Most of the pig dogs I came across were Bull Arab crossed with a mixture of the dogs mentioned. Not as many stag hounds or stag Xs. Always liked the look of the stag hounds, some of the old pictures i've seen of early settlers with their stag hounds/roo dogs looked very handy. I think being more into lurchers I was drawn to them. Never came across anyone with one though which I was always disappointed about. I know they are more popular further south but never managed to get any further south than Sydney. You never though, I might be back one day and get to see one working, I hope!

• Like 1