If i honest i would like to see the shooting season put back a month. Purely for my own selfish reasons....mainly being at the end of January keepers want to catch up birds straight away and give them too me for laying stock. Now i dont want birds in the pens( which are netted) when we have been seeing snow in Feb/ March time, its a big risk to put thousands of pounds worth of birds in pens in the event the snow comes, wrecks nets and they escape.... :thumbs:

why take a month off at the start though why not just give us an extra month or an allowance to catch up?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter how mad you get, a keeper should only ever show that to the guns over bad safety issues,, everything other than that "keep your mouth shut" springs to mind.. On a day I had we really strugg

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs t

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO   ATB Cookie

If i honest i would like to see the shooting season put back a month. Purely for my own selfish reasons....mainly being at the end of January keepers want to catch up birds straight away and give them too me for laying stock. Now i dont want birds in the pens( which are netted) when we have been seeing snow in Feb/ March time, its a big risk to put thousands of pounds worth of birds in pens in the event the snow comes, wrecks nets and they escape.... :thumbs:

why take a month off at the start though why not just give us an extra month or an allowance to catch up?

Oh id be quite happy at a months extension mate if that was on offer........i was kind off just replying to the debate on here... :thumbs:

Oh id be quite happy at a months extension mate if that was on offer........i was kind off just replying to the debate on here... :thumbs:

no having a go mate :thumbs: I for 1 would be all for extending the season till end of feb whether to shoot or just catch up I just don't beleive we need to stop shooting pheasant in october cause some shoots can't manage to produce mature birds :thumbs:

no having a go mate :thumbs: I for 1 would be all for extending the season till end of feb whether to shoot or just catch up I just don't beleive we need to stop shooting pheasant in october cause some shoots can't manage to produce mature birds :thumbs:

Theres no such thing as not being able to produce mature birds though mate is there....if you get them early enough there going to be ready. Easy peasy!! Unless of course you have bought shite and you've had disease problems! Problem here i see some shoots try to get them as late as possible to save cost and then in the summer they get a phone call for a driven day early october and dont turn it down. Now alot of good shoots have pats' and ducks so they can still make a decent bag and if the keeper asks the guns to take the high birds with tails from last year they can still have a very good day.
  • Like 1

Theres no such thing as not being able to produce mature birds though mate is there....if you get them early enough there going to be ready. Easy peasy!! Unless of course you have bought shite and you've had disease problems! Problem here i see some shoots try to get them as late as possible to save cost and then in the summer they get a phone call for a driven day early october and dont turn it down. Now alot of good shoots have pats' and ducks so they can still make a decent bag and if the keeper asks the guns to take the high birds with tails from last year they can still have a very good day.

that is it in a nut shell mate folks as dont' know better feel the need to moan about october birds when the truth is the shoot is entirely to blame if they birds arent ready :thumbs: how long before folks are moaning about november birds if the season changes cause the shoot will just want even later poults

Edited by danw
  • Like 2
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

One of reason I think it should go back a month is that we always seem to get the best weather for driven shooting the following weeks after the end of the season :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad there's a few people that speak sense. Edited by PatterJack

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO

ATB Cookie

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs to happen is for keepers to do their job and get the birds in early enough to be mature before the start of the season

19 birds out of 350, surely the birds were to high or the guns not good enough? I hate seeing people bang away at out of range birds, Iv seen it most often at ducks.

Why is it sporting to shoot at birds that are to high or beyond the guns ability but unsporting to kill lower birds cleanly?

I'm not saying thats what you guys are suggesting but its an opinion I have heard from some guns. I once took a single place on an estate that needed some odd guns to make up the day, on one drive I saw a gun kick a dead bird into the river, when he saw me looking he smiled and said 'wont have to pay for that one' (i was still very young and didnt dare say anything or tell the keeper). On the duck drive he along with others were shooting at ducks well out of range yet in the pub later he was giving a speech about un-sporting low birds! If I came across such a bad example today id set him straight! But I have come across the same attitude, to a lesser extent, in many driven bird shooters 'banging away at high birds is sporting but killing lower birds cleanly unsporting'. I know its not that simple but you should only take birds that are challenging yet killable within your own limitations otherwise, in my opinion, its more unsporting than shooting low birds.

As for extending the season, I would be against it as some hunts only get access to half their country once the shooting has finished so it would affect them alot.

Interesting thread this!

As has already been said the keeper having a go at the guns is a massive no no and I'm inclined to agree with gonetoearth that there are plenty of "keepers" who have got no idea about proper shootday etiquette but maybe I was just schooled better than some.

However labtastic raises some good points! I would want to have seen it to pass a full judgement on what went on. There are few things more frustrating than trying your best on a crappy day and watching decent enough birds going through without be shot at and then when the guns decide a high enough bird is coming through they miss it!

I have to say having worked around the country the "high" bird debate will go on forever. I personally like to feel I've given a team of guns a testing day but lets face it most people like to hit something and continually being outdone is not my idea of fun. I've had drives that very good teams of guns would do well to come out of at 10:1 but they would be just as happy standing on the next drive shooting for 20 plus minutes at 3:1!

• Like 1