It's when you put the birds over them and the shot counters are going round pdq & they moan that they haven't reached there bag, lol, even though they might of averaged 8/1. A lot of teams struggled getting a bag with us, in the end we started saying in the contracts that it was 150 birds or 750 shots. That sharp put a stop to any moaning by guns that were out classed and firing 1000+ for a handfull over a 100 in the larder..

I'm lucky there mate it's all private so we can concentrate on the sport and no worry too much about the bag, though we still have a bag expectation for the day

Oh.....a walk in the park then........ :whistling::D

LOL yeah I know mate can,t understand why I get so worried about it all :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter how mad you get, a keeper should only ever show that to the guns over bad safety issues,, everything other than that "keep your mouth shut" springs to mind.. On a day I had we really strugg

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs t

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO   ATB Cookie

It's when you put the birds over them and the shot counters are going round pdq & they moan that they haven't reached there bag, lol, even though they might of averaged 8/1. A lot of teams struggled getting a bag with us, in the end we started saying in the contracts that it was 150 birds or 750 shots. That sharp put a stop to any moaning by guns that were out classed and firing 1000+ for a handfull over a 100 in the larder..

I'm lucky there mate it's all private so we can concentrate on the sport and no worry too much about the bag, though we still have a bag expectation for the day

Oh.....a walk in the park then........ :whistling::D

LOL yeah I know mate can,t understand why I get so worried about it all :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well dont be shouting at any guns or you'll be a new thread on here .............. :D
  • Like 1
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO

ATB Cookie

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs to happen is for keepers to do their job and get the birds in early enough to be mature before the start of the season

I bet I could take more than 19 birds out of 350 shots top shots my arse .

You got coco the clown as one the guns

ATB Cookie

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO

ATB Cookie

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs to happen is for keepers to do their job and get the birds in early enough to be mature before the start of the season

ATB Cookie

course you could shame you'll no find out aint it :thumbs:

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

course you could shame you'll no find out aint it :thumbs:

That still makes me chuckle top shots 19 out of 350 :laugh: :laugh:

You never know I load for some actual real top shots ones that are in the holand @ holand top 10 and normally get a fair few loaders days on some top shoots on the moors and phezzies so I may well be stroking them down for you to thin out them for you :laugh: .

ATB Cookie

Everyone laughed at the averages at mine, until it was them standing in the hot seat for the day, then they too fell to pieces, you give each birds a extra foot and still aint connecting, they start to think they must be missing infront, but once that doubt has arrived in your head your screwed..iv heard it all before, over & over again.. IMO there's decent birds shown on most shoots but on other shoots drive after drive the human, guns, cartridges & theorys are tested to the limit. Some folk just don't know what a high bird shoot is & what it can do to a decent shots average..

Edited by alimac
  • Like 2

Ive been lucky to witness both ends of the spectrum over the years seen mr digweed in action. Seen varourios top ten shots at differant shoots. Seen them all brought to ground on occasion. There are Pegs. On. Drives that are unsporting for quite the opposite the birds come to high and to fast for the averadge gun. The whole debate on a keepers behavoir towards his guests on the day Just highlights the wide range of person involved in keepering a letter to the man inqestion and not booking another day would get the message across

High birds equals a bird within killing range of the modern shotgun cartridge

I can bet my bottom dollar 250 of 350 shots was fired at birds beyond reasonable killing range .

So its not the shots are bad its the judgment of the guns thats bad

So what you boys calling high 65 yards 80 /90 100 yards and if the any of last three is that your aim as the keeper to product them at that height

ATB Cookie

I can bet my bottom dollar 250 of 350 shots was fired at birds beyond reasonable killing range .

So what you boys calling high 65 yards 80 /90 100 yards and if the any of last three is that your aim as the keeper to product them at that height

ATB Cookie

you a keeper

ATB Cookie

you a keeper

No just questions I do alot of shooting and always intrested in the diffrent opinions on the term high bird :thumbs: .

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

you a keeper

No just questions I do alot of shooting and always intrested in the diffrent opinions on the term high bird :thumbs: .

ATB Cookie

high , fast . left , right , gliding , into the wind , wind behind them , coming off , a hillside etc etc all make for differant judgement calls , theres a stand on a famous shoot were the peg is half way down a qarry face pheasants come at you at speed across you left to right then stright at you seen the most experienced guns come away bewilderd , presentation of the birds is putting to use all of the natural resouses you have and using a few man made , flankers placed to jink the birds a sewiling line in the right place , every shoot no matter how flat the land can produce good days its all down to the keeper and a little bit of help from the weather , the high bird is not all ways the most sporting as big bags dont allways reflect a good day or small a bad day , only my opinion and some one reading this has seen me miss more than my share :icon_redface: Edited by gonetoearth

ATB Cookie

my remit is to produce birds as challenging as possible the bag being irrelevant it gives my boss great pleasure to see his guests struggle with the height and yes cookie the birds here are beyond what most would consider reasonable but then for any shoot with big hills and valleys that isnt' hard.

p's cookie I never said the guns couldn,t shoot what I did say was that the guns couldnt' hit my early october birds which is contary to your opinion and for someone as shoots so much and loads for hollands top 10 I am suprised you get to such poor shoots as cant' show a good early season bird

• Like 1

Right first danw its sounds very likely the reason such a poor cart to kill ratio in your own words the vast number of birds your putting over the guns are beyond what would be called science based research of the shotgun cartridges range .

Do you know recommend to your guns the use of 5s and 32grams for certain drives plus loads or you happy for them to pop away with whateer they bring???

How many of the 331 birds missed on that drive do you think was pricked because of the birds being shown beyond the cartridges and guns limits and do you think its good practice .

Still you must have some idear of the average range of the birds on that drive ??so what is it or what do you call high in range terms ??

The reason I think the season should be pused back is not because of reared birds its because of the general change in our climate and to have the wild broods of pheasants country wide to be allowed to mature and the I personally think the beaters would prefer not t beat though 6 foot nettle at the begining of october

ATB Cookie