Gassing moles

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at the client requests and then it's against my better advice, but at the end of the day they hold the purse strings.   Very very mixed success to the point where I'd say for moles it's shite!

We use nitrous oxide in a liquid form which is poured down the mole runs, it then vapourises and creates a gas which after around five minuets of uncontrolable laughter from the mole, they become unco

aluminium phosphide is only 65% effective, so not to good, can't beat a good old trap    

I had to stop using gas a few years ago because of ridiculous changes to rules.

To re train and be assessed by City & Guilds after years of using gas is just someone making money out of the little guy.

The argument of all this unncessary paperwork keeping out amateurs just doesn't wash with old timers like me.

Still I prefer traps as them who employ me like seeing the fruits of my labours and what they get for their money.

You're right about the mole holes though d6k.

No hills, smiley clients.

• Like 1

once traind in the "safe use " thats it,, city and guilds in playing with tabs ?? lol..it has its uses, i get asked to use it at a few places,,, not my cup of tea but i agree even tho i disagree,,,, its nasty stuff tho ,, it stinks on my kit and i dont like it, the germans used to shower the jews in they camps :cry: and as they did there were a few tabs droped in the shower area,,thats what they used to gas them with ,,, its nasty kit so be caerfull.

once traind in the "safe use " thats it,, city and guilds in playing with tabs ?? lol..it has its uses, i get asked to use it at a few places,,, not my cup of tea but i agree even tho i disagree,,,, its nasty stuff tho ,, it stinks on my kit and i dont like it, the germans used to shower the jews in they camps :cry: and as they did there were a few tabs droped in the shower area,,thats what they used to gas them with ,,, its nasty kit so be caerfull.

Actually, the germans used hydrogen cyanide the same gas as cymag produced.

The gas pellets you can get nowadays, phostoxin or talunex produce phosphine gas.

• Like 1

once trained in the "safe use " that's it,, city and guilds in playing with tabs ?? lol..it has its uses, i get asked to use it at a few places,,, not my cup of tea but i agree even tho i disagree,,,, its nasty stuff tho ,, it stinks on my kit and i don't like it, the germans used to shower the jews in they camps :cry: and as they did there were a few tabs dropped in the shower area,,that's what they used to gas them with ,,, its nasty kit so be careful.

The gas pellets you can get nowadays, phostoxin or talunex produce phosphine gas.

well i'm wrong then but ain't that far out ,, if i am wrong ????

once trained in the "safe use " that's it,, city and guilds in playing with tabs ?? lol..it has its uses, i get asked to use it at a few places,,, not my cup of tea but i agree even tho i disagree,,,, its nasty stuff tho ,, it stinks on my kit and i don't like it, the germans used to shower the jews in they camps :cry: and as they did there were a few tabs dropped in the shower area,,that's what they used to gas them with ,,, its nasty kit so be careful.

well i'm wrong then but ain't that far out ,, if i am wrong ????

I aggre with logun its bad shit no matter what name it has

Only at the client requests and then it's against my better advice, but at the end of the day they hold the purse strings.

Very very mixed success to the point where I'd say for moles it's shite!!

But we all know that.

Same here, I really don't like having to use it but some people are naive enough to think the mole just goes to sleep, it's success depends on the soil type you use it in, ie sand/ clay/ loam/ peat, allso depends on moisture levels,traps are much more effective in my mind,

Yes, its certainly not the most ' humane ' method.

It also does the mole catcher out of a job sometimes, round my way.Some farmers i know have acquired it,and take a flask or two round with them in their quads.Popping tablets in the mole workings ,as they go ! The way some of them are,they will try and do a job themselves. Thinking its saving them, and the poor results dont seem to bother them too much, because they buy more of the stuff,the following season !

Edited by earth-thrower

It makes me laugh to hear people talk about how deadly phostoxin is. I know it can be dangerous but when you have been brought up in a pest control household where cymag and stricnine were stored, phostoxin was always seen as the safe option, the thing you could use while crawling under a bush. I used it quite a bit and got reasonably good results once id worked out my own system for applying it. I will normally try to find long straight runs and gas every 8 ft or so. I believe that if there is only small pockets of gas a mole can be through it before it takes full effect. If you gas a long run or in areas full of hills then gas a block then once a mole gets into that block everywhere it goes there is gas, then it can be quite effective.

I get passed a few mole jobs from some quite big pest control companies and when I get there I often find they have failed with gas on a number of visits before passing the job to me. These guys have every qualification in the book but they often try it in mossy lawns or close to house walls! Which is just one of the reasons I refuse to pay to do the training, stuff em I'll just use traps.

I was told by someone very high up in one of the large pest control chemical supply companies that regulation of phostoxin was driven by the home office not for the safety of pest controllers or their customers but because of worries about what could happen if it got into the hands of terrorists ie. opening a bottleful on a tube train.

i no a lad who has a gas machine for moles,it looks like the machine for phostoxin pelletts,but it is gas that comes out of it,he showed me it working one day he found the hole put the nozzle to it turned onthe gas for a good few minutes then pushes a button which causes a spark and theres this almighty eruption under the ground,i dont no the make of it but its quite effective,has no one else come across this type of thing,atb wf

i no a lad who has a gas machine for moles,it looks like the machine for phostoxin pelletts,but it is gas that comes out of it,he showed me it working one day he found the hole put the nozzle to it turned onthe gas for a good few minutes then pushes a button which causes a spark and theres this almighty eruption under the ground,i dont no the make of it but its quite effective,has no one else come across this type of thing,atb wf

that sounds like the rodenator mate :thumbs:

Yes that's the machine,what a waste of money I do farms thats had one on, and if I am not mistaken the law only allow,s its use in empty run's no doubt some one will put me straight on that,it works by collapsing the run's most mole runs are made over time and eventually can get rather extensive,its mainly when the runs are cleaned out when you see most of the activity, or a new mole move's in for instance when you have cleared a run out with traps,when they use them rodenator's they colapse the whole run, if the mole is still alive you want to see the clearing they do afterwards,they either start a fresh run or try and clear the blocked one,I tell you, you see the effects of a real hard worker then,I am an ex coal miner I have top respect for the little bugger's, I personally would not use one out of principle,Its a lazy way of doing them in my eye's and not allways effective,
  • Like 1