tegater

Woodcock-nice to see them back

14 minutes ago, bell said:

You tried it mate ?....it’s pretty good but not quite as good as the brains 🧠👍

No bud, don’t waste any of them, my favorite game but can’t put myself to do it ! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

No bud, don’t waste any of them, my favorite game but can’t put myself to do it ! 

You would be suprised how good it is, bit like a rich pate.....best way is roast it on a piece of bread with a rasher of bacon on top....the bread turns into the best piece of fried bread you ever had....spread the inards onto the bread or just eat it without as it’s covered in the juices and bacon fat .....

2 minutes ago, bell said:

You would be suprised how good it is, bit like a rich pate.....best way is roast it on a piece of bread with a rasher of bacon on top....the bread turns into the best piece of fried bread you ever had....spread the inards onto the bread or just eat it without as it’s covered in the juices and bacon fat .....

I was in a country pub in Mayo a few years ago, there were some French lads over shooting, they were plucking snipe and rolling them in 3 sheets of news paper, then dunking them in water. They then through them in the open fire, when the fire had the paper all but burned they would start eating, mind they were drunk haha

7 hours ago, Wideboy said:

I was in a country pub in Mayo a few years ago, there were some French lads over shooting, they were plucking snipe and rolling them in 3 sheets of news paper, then dunking them in water. They then through them in the open fire, when the fire had the paper all but burned they would start eating, mind they were drunk haha

That’s a new one on me mate....

10 hours ago, bell said:

I was gonna do it once............... then I remembered that they eat worms and that the guts are just digested worms!........ I wasn't hungry enough by then. LOL

The flesh though is divine!

• Haha 3

Nice, was up north last week, in places we normally see big numbers there were very few.....had 3 over a few days...

There's plenty about around here. Only put 2 out today but last week while out with the hounds we put double figures out. Sods law🙄

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the thermal last night in the stubbles 

7368E74C-9C77-42DA-812B-D7F244187803.jpeg

• Like 5

On 26/01/2019 at 12:01, MIK said:

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the thermal last night in the stubbles 

Something special about your first doodle. Up their with your first deer in terms of meaning I think.

On 05/11/2018 at 16:01, Born Hunter said:

Saw the first of this season on Saturday. Very unlikely to be a resident imo. Likely a very early migrant that came over on the hunters moon.

Get a few woodcock on my trail cams scavenging around in the dark, old farmer often asks me if I,ve seen any if we meet 👍

11 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Something special about your first doodle. Up their with your first deer in terms of meaning I think.

Just got sent this today by a stalker I worked with lol my first stag I was 17

4F1E7B31-9FF0-45DC-86FB-1E16DD191407.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say we have had good numbers in my neck of the woods ( Cotswolds ) . Surprised by the number of shoots I go on that don’t allow them to be shot . I think they are a good sporting bird and if they offer a good spotting shot why not take one ? I’m afraid that shoot owners are reading and believing RSPB propaganda about low numbers . Not the case , there are good numbers arriving on our shores each November. The amount shot would have zero impact on numbers anyway. They also taste good , I’ve never eaten the guts though , not brave enough or hungry enough!!

• Like 1