Woodcock-nice to see them back

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

No but I can see them there hills and when I saw the slabs of rock etc.

And I thought I noticed a funny smell on that date too! ?

Yes sir. Pattern wins everytime. 1/2&1/2 but no tighter if possible!

The smell to which you refer will be gone after Christmas........ when I get my “Lynx Africa “ shower gel and deodorant gift box  in my stocking .?

• Haha 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

What a fantastic day you had , I too would much prefer a day like that than a driven day. ?

Shooting driven pheasants has become an industry with the majority of birds ending in landfill. That ain't sporting at all!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Shooting driven pheasants has become an industry with the majority of birds ending in landfill. That ain't sporting at all!

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged have the good meat taken off and put into game meat blocks which get exported to the French and Belgians and turned into Pates  and terrines. 
           Early season shooting sometimes in warm weather , birds which do not get chilled quickly enough go green in the guts and get rejected, these may well end up in a pit , also birds which are just breasted out or Supreamed   have their carcasses dumped. . And it is images of these that are taken by our detractors and the lies fed to the media. 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

i would have shown some restraint with the woodcock

It’s a 900 acre block of woodland and gets shot once a year . It will probably be the only woodcock we shoot all year . We have a resident population of woodcock estimated at 50-60 thousand and a visiting population of 1.5 million and a world population estimated at about 15 million . They are not endangered . I am interested to know why so many feel they don’t want to shoot them  or show restraint, you will never be in a position to shoot hundreds , why not enjoy a good day at a real sporting , totally wild bird,  that  also tastes great by the way . 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s a 900 acre block of woodland and gets shot once a year . It will probably be the only woodcock we shoot all year . We have a resident population of woodcock estimated at 50-60 thousand and a visiting population of 1.5 million and a world population estimated at about 15 million . They are not endangered . I am interested to know why so many feel they don’t want to shoot them  or show restraint, you will never be in a position to shoot hundreds , why not enjoy a good day at a real sporting , totally wild bird,  that  also tastes great by the way . 

Cracking bit of shooting on the wood cock ,mate ,,,were plagued with them locally and if the dogs are of lead there for ever trying  chase them on lamp  there’s a couple in every field , my hawk bagged one yesterday just as it was rising , let her have it as I didn’t fancy eating it after I watched a video of how there traditional cooked lol 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Cracking bit of shooting on the wood cock ,mate ,,,were plagued with them locally and if the dogs are of lead there for ever trying  chase them on lamp  there’s a couple in every field , my hawk bagged one yesterday just as it was rising , let her have it as I didn’t fancy eating it after I watched a video of how there traditional cooked lol 

I’ve never tried the intestines, but they empty themselves as the get up and fly . I’ve known some that have eaten them like that and it’s supposed to be like a pate .? I will eat most things but draw the line at that .

25 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve never tried the intestines, but they empty themselves as the get up and fly . I’ve known some that have eaten them like that and it’s supposed to be like a pate .? I will eat most things but draw the line at that .

Yea me too lol 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Great day mate.  Next time try roasting a whole bird on a piece of bread with a slice of bacon over it.  Leave the guts in, the bread turns into the best piece of fried bread you will ever taste!.........I’m just back Scotland , flighted them coming out of wood blocks at dusk......great sport. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

there's always the chance of a skid mark:bad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 11 months later...

Was up the West coast last week chasing these little fellas.  Must have flushed over 60 in a couple of days and finished on 16 between two of us.  Hard going and the dogs will sleep for a week.  Managed one carrying a bit of bling !

133E6CE3-E72B-4AEC-996D-F3773A1EF75E.jpeg

B4162B6C-9132-49A1-8EFA-114F8C951E8D.jpeg

24A04F42-C425-4328-BFE3-3950CCB1E6D9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a poke about before waiting for some duck to come into a pond, my spaniel hoovered up the first woodcock but ran over the second one 3 times without picking it....it was still alive and switched off its scent....bizarre I know but there is no other explanation....my dog has picked hundreds of woodcock but simply didn’t register it !

F568B0F4-A948-4D13-8A2E-1C943AC18F53.jpeg

• Like 3