Woodcock-nice to see them back

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the thermal last night in the stubbles 

7368E74C-9C77-42DA-812B-D7F244187803.jpeg

• Like 6
On 26/01/2019 at 12:01, MIK said:

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the thermal last night in the stubbles 

Something special about your first doodle. Up their with your first deer in terms of meaning I think.

On 05/11/2018 at 16:01, Born Hunter said:

Saw the first of this season on Saturday. Very unlikely to be a resident imo. Likely a very early migrant that came over on the hunters moon.

Get a few woodcock on my trail cams scavenging around in the dark, old farmer often asks me if I,ve seen any if we meet ?

11 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Something special about your first doodle. Up their with your first deer in terms of meaning I think.

Just got sent this today by a stalker I worked with lol my first stag I was 17

4F1E7B31-9FF0-45DC-86FB-1E16DD191407.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would say we have had good numbers in my neck of the woods ( Cotswolds ) . Surprised by the number of shoots I go on that don’t allow them to be shot . I think they are a good sporting bird and if they offer a good spotting shot why not take one ? I’m afraid that shoot owners are reading and believing RSPB propaganda about low numbers . Not the case , there are good numbers arriving on our shores each November. The amount shot would have zero impact on numbers anyway. They also taste good , I’ve never eaten the guts though , not brave enough or hungry enough!!

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
12 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Not woodcock but flushed my first snipe of the season this morning. A very lively brace off of stubble on this very bright frosty morning. Great way to start the day.

Shooting a splash last week and as we walked on put up 20 plus snipe, emptied 2 guns at them for no return !....a good few come  in this week on the east coast....woodcock that is...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bell said:

Shooting a splash last week and as we walked on put up 20 plus snipe, emptied 2 guns at them for no return !....a good few come  in this week on the east coast....woodcock that is...

The honour of being a "sniper" is not won easily! :icon_redface:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...