Woodcock-nice to see them back

Got 3 farms in walking distance of my house and all 3 of them hold good numbers of wood cock ..to behonst they piss me of when I'm lamping because if working dog of slip and he catches the eye shine he's off after them ..

old dog caught acouple on lamp on good windy night 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

Had 2 a week ago and also my 1st ever douple on snipe which i rarely fire at but the chance came and i took it.Was out again on saturday last and had 2 good cocks for the hour or so i got out,main part being a brilliant retrieve by my old lab bitch.Put the cock up along the bank of a fairly big river and he flew to the far side  but i got a gap in the hedge and firad and down he went but was back on his feet and running.The old bitch had marked him falling and was already scrambling up the oppisite bank and when she managed to get on top she spent a few minutes looking for the bird the nose to the ground and away.She was right on his trail as i could still see him running from the high bank on my side where he traveled the lenght of almost 2 fields before entering and old birch wood where i could no longer see him.The bitch trailed him though right down and into the wood where she also disapeared .I had a younger lab bitch [daughter to old bitch and the springer with me aswell and they were beating along the bank and again another cock rose and i knocked him for a nice retrieve for the young lab.I went back up on the high band and there was Nell about 4o yds away coming along with the runner in her jaws,down the bank across the river and straight to hand,best retrieve i have had with her in her 8 years,was happy out going for home.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a walk round yesterday after duck and kicking hedges. By 12 the other four guns had gone home with nothing but duck in the bag. I don’t quit until the dog is knackered or until I’m satisfied so I carried on.

I managed a pleasing brace of frenchmen, though not a left and right. Anyway I was after a woodcock really so made way for the only place I knew was a certainty to at least see one, a very quiet and brambly corner of woodland. The first bird was driven straight at me as my cocker ‘got on a bit’ in this very heavy cover. Missed with both barrels! Whistled the dog back and cast off again and after another 10mins another rose quartering away, which I dropped at about 35 yards with the second. Visually marked in a god awful spot of briar and shrubbery I made my way over... cast the dog off in sheer hope but little faith he’d find it. This is his first season and I’ve done very little picking up with him so he’s still quite hot headed and not settling to concentrate and work the scent of a shot bird steadily though this is improving recently. After 20 minutes we were both sore from bashing through thorns and tired and I was walking away disappointed to have lost what is to me a very precious prize. I turned around to whistle the dog and before I could get the whistle to my mouth out of the cover scurries my lad, tail going, with our woodcock! How the hell he did that moments after I had given up hope I don’t know but it’s moments like that that I do all the miles and hours for.

To a shooter the shot is the prize but to a hunter that whole package was gold! Needless to say a few people got this account yesterday evening and a few more will on next saturdays syndicate day. LOL

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

No bud, don’t waste any of them, my favorite game but can’t put myself to do it ! 

You would be suprised how good it is, bit like a rich pate.....best way is roast it on a piece of bread with a rasher of bacon on top....the bread turns into the best piece of fried bread you ever had....spread the inards onto the bread or just eat it without as it’s covered in the juices and bacon fat .....

7 hours ago, Wideboy said:

I was in a country pub in Mayo a few years ago, there were some French lads over shooting, they were plucking snipe and rolling them in 3 sheets of news paper, then dunking them in water. They then through them in the open fire, when the fire had the paper all but burned they would start eating, mind they were drunk haha

That’s a new one on me mate....

10 hours ago, bell said:

You would be suprised how good it is, bit like a rich pate.....best way is roast it on a piece of bread with a rasher of bacon on top....the bread turns into the best piece of fried bread you ever had....spread the inards onto the bread or just eat it without as it’s covered in the juices and bacon fat .....

I was gonna do it once............... then I remembered that they eat worms and that the guts are just digested worms!........ I wasn't hungry enough by then. LOL

The flesh though is divine!

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...