Woodcock-nice to see them back

A bird i always like to see fly off unlike the idiots who want to shoot the fookers why is behond me [bANNED TEXT] theirs thousands of pheasants and partridges to blast at.

. Why poacher there are plenty nice bird but no differant than any other if its bad weather ban. Yes but any other time fair game
  • Like 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

A bird i always like to see fly off unlike the idiots who want to shoot the fookers why is behond me [bANNED TEXT] theirs thousands of pheasants and partridges to blast at.

. Why poacher there are plenty nice bird but no differant than any other if its bad weather ban. Yes but any other time fair game

Because imo their isent that meny same as the wild grey partridge just carnt see the point in shooting them same as snipe were theirs feck all on them for the table but then again i fookin hate shooters lol.

Because imo their isent that meny same as the wild grey partridge just carnt see the point in shooting them same as snipe were theirs feck all on them for the table but then again i fookin hate shooters lol.

bud admire the wood cock as i do the grey partridge the later we can and are helping to make a come back , the wood cock is still abundent only this week end hounds drawing cover were putting them up. A much prized. Bird and one would do me in my bag !!!!! Edited by gonetoearth

Put three up off of one hedge a week ago. They're the first I've seen this season. None were shot at, not that I mind that. Plenty of pheasant, english and duck to shoot but it is nice to see a couple of decent woocock brought down and watch a good spaniel work the scent for it's prize.

I saw couple in the headlights early last week and two were shot on the local pheasant shoot on saturday . I reckon these are resident birds though and it hasn't been cold enough to force scandinavian birds south into Argyll yet in any real numbers.

They are amazing wee birds. One day they are everywhere and the next gone with the wind , a sure sign snow and frost is coming

I got few good pics two winters ago I'll dig them out and put them up

I saw couple in the headlights early last week and two were shot on the local pheasant shoot on saturday . I reckon these are resident birds though and it hasn't been cold enough to force scandinavian birds south into Argyll yet in any real numbers.

They are amazing wee birds. One day they are everywhere and the next gone with the wind , a sure sign snow and frost is coming

I got few good pics two winters ago I'll dig them out and put them up

Be nice to see the pics, I have tried to take some but never successfully.

As it happened one dropped down of the hill, right over my house as I got in with the dog last night.

Would have made a lovely shot with either camera or gun.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is a little bit neglected...

There are quite a few birds around here now,

Last Saturday, nine put up and four shot, the Saturday before seven rose and three came down.

Yesterday only four seen but on ground that doesn't see that many even in the best years. None shot.

All in the south west Wales area.

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Is anybody else seeing them coming in yet in any numbers?

I have recently been disturbing Wood cock at night..

Lamping baren feilds looking for foxes..

Same land never see them by day..

Were crop feilds that have never had a chance to be poughed again this time of year they are normally grass but they remain stubble (mud really Now ) from the summer cut..

There is no cover they are just there and lifting due to being disturbed..

Would hazard a guess with the ground being so wet they are there feeding ??

I aint no bird expert but they are 100% woodcock :victory:

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Yes

Were crop feilds that have never had a chance to be poughed again this time of year they are normally grass but they remain stubble (mud really Now ) from the summer cut..

Yes Giro, the Woodcock is a nocturnal feeding bird so you won't see them on the ground in the daytime, they'll be tucked up in cover somewhere the flight out at dusk. They prefer pasture with a a good supply of worms to feed on.

They have gone again here!!!

Seen fourt odd last night mate in one feild..

Were lifting in multiples between 4 and 10..

It funny really because in the day light hours I hadly see them mind its more fell ground I walk in the day time..

Seven risen and five shot today.

I had two of those, but unfortunately, not a left and right! Seem to be quite a few around here at the moment.

One came right past the end of my mates nose as we sat by a flight pond waiting for duck. I was waiting for the shot but the poor lad never saw it..........could have hit it with his gun !

• 1 month later...

i wish i had seen this thread earlier im in north northumberland we had a group of french guns about a month ago they wanted to have a shot on the woodcock so we took them on the moss they ended up with 22 birds the moss is mabey only 3 acres then we had 2 groups of french last week one team shot 12 on thursday the other team shot 8 on friday then the group who shot thursday came back on saturday and shot another 12 they seemed to switch off the pheasants after they had there dinner and woodcock mania takes over its like they all became obsessed with shooting one there was a bloke that tryed to shoot one and he nearly took one of the beaters out they go mad for them