English Bull Terriers

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Carlovian said:

back in the day at trials, for every good Bull Terrier or bull terrier mix , there was 20 good or better SBTs,, the majority of good dogs at trials was either Wheatens or SBTs, Bull terriers ware a rarity

were small bulldogs ever used at the trials.

7 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Was that a case of them turning out decent despite using Bull Terrier though or because of it? 

Its a bit like baking a cake the ingredients on their own uncooked taste like shit but when mixed and cooked its a total different story I think the reason EB works in terrier mixes is down to the fact they lack gameness and makes for a steadier terrier,thats what I think but no one really knows.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Do you think the trials were harder than pig hunting?   Or vice versa. I know nowt of either but find it interesting that dogs failed regular at trials but then the same breed makes awsome pig dogs, would love to know how a dog thought ?

I have no hands on experience with trials or ebt.I have seen a variety of different breeds work coyote otter and hog.In my opinion it's different styles and very few will tolerate the punishment from  all of them.The first lurcher I seen was from England and could kill coyotes impressively.When tried on a 100lb hog he received a small puncture in the shoulder let go and went and sat down by his owner.The Englishman had a good laugh and renamed the dog pinky?

The first otter I ever encountered was with my father and a good jag bitch he had hog hunted for years.She had never cried from hogcut.When an otter pinched her on the nose she shit herself and squealed.In my opinion there's a big difference between getting cut with a pocketknife and having a beartrap clamp down on your nose.Theres 3 spots that a "good"dog will cry or quit from getting bit is the nose,toes and inside the ear.A 15 lb American otter will cull more dogs for you than 150lb boar.Just my opinion from what I've seen.Sorry back on topic 

25 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

From what I've seen.. Anymore than one dog and things can get messy with them ? 

Tread lightly DC or greb will call you a liar ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I have no hands on experience with trials or ebt.I have seen a variety of different breeds work coyote otter and hog.In my opinion it's different styles and very few will tolerate the punishment from  all of them.The first lurcher I seen was from England and could kill coyotes impressively.When tried on a 100lb hog he received a small puncture in the shoulder let go and went and sat down by his owner.The Englishman had a good laugh and renamed the dog pinky?

The first otter I ever encountered was with my father and a good jag bitch he had hog hunted for years.She had never cried from hogcut.When an otter pinched her on the nose she shit herself and squealed.In my opinion there's a big difference between getting cut with a pocketknife and having a beartrap clamp down on your nose.Theres 3 spots that a "good"dog will cry or quit from getting bit is the nose,toes and inside the ear.A 15 lb American otter will cull more dogs for you than 150lb boar.Just my opinion from what I've seen.Sorry back on topic 

Just saying like?

40 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Haven't you been out hunting with James Hinks? ?

• Haha 1

I reckon a badger is rougher than an otter, but its the way trials ware set up and the rules ,, back when they ware  trialed, it was run  as close to natural earth as possible , and dogs had to work nose to nose , unable to use their size , they would be disqualified if they growled or squealed or gave impression they hesitated to get into grips straight away all in the dark , in a 11 x 11 inch space ,,40 feet long , with 45 degree turns and false branches , and a time limit to reach the badger , most dogs entered at a trials would be good dogs in the field , but the rules of the trials made it hard for them to qualify

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Just saying like?

Don't diss the 'relentless' one  ?

Edited by shaaark
26 minutes ago, Carlovian said:

I reckon a badger is rougher than an otter, but its the way trials ware set up and the rules ,, back when they ware  trialed, it was run  as close to natural earth as possible , and dogs had to work nose to nose , unable to use their size , they would be disqualified if they growled or squealed or gave impression they hesitated to get into grips straight away all in the dark , in a 11 x 11 inch space ,,40 feet long , with 45 degree turns and false branches , and a time limit to reach the badger , most dogs entered at a trials would be good dogs in the field , but the rules of the trials made it hard for them to qualify

You just have to look at the amount of cur breeds that will tackle a boar, finding dogs that will do the same face to face with a badger is a whole new ball game IMO.