English Bull Terriers

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

The strange thing was, even though the E/B weren't as good as their staffy cousins, when diluted in to terriers and other forms of strong dog, they produced hard driven workers most of the time, 

Was that a case of them turning out decent despite using Bull Terrier though or because of it? 

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Was that a case of them turning out decent despite using Bull Terrier though or because of it? 

That's an interesting point but proof is in the pudding here with English bulls being superior as crosses with staghounds for pigs compared to staff or pit crosses.

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

It deffo added to the x, it was an immensely popular x for years, long before any black dogs turned up here, and still a few being created to this day

40 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's an interesting point but proof is in the pudding here with English bulls being superior as crosses with staghounds for pigs compared to staff or pit crosses.

In what way are they better than Pit or Staff crosses? 

Maybe it's just a case of there being more established lines with heavy Bull Terrier influence? 

11 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

In what way are they better than Pit or Staff crosses? 

Maybe it's just a case of there being more established lines with heavy Bull Terrier influence? 

My mrs was a professional pig catcher(she caught me) and ran a chiller here.English bulls crossed with almost any breed worked the pigs by lugging,not damaging meat and not trying to fight boars as pits do which could be fatal.The bull cross stags can even be first crosses or line bred but still have the no nonsense ear lugging qualities.Staff crosses are ok but not as good and a little on the small side for this.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

My mrs was a professional pig catcher(she caught me) and ran a chiller here.English bulls crossed with almost any breed worked the pigs by lugging,not damaging meat and not trying to fight boars as pits do which could be fatal.The bull cross stags can even be first crosses or line bred but still have the no nonsense ear lugging qualities.Staff crosses are ok but not as good and a little on the small side for this.

" she caught me " ?

3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

The strange thing was, even though the E/B weren't as good as their staffy cousins, when diluted in to terriers and other forms of strong dog, they produced hard driven workers most of the time, 

back in the day at trials, for every good Bull Terrier or bull terrier mix , there was 20 good or better SBTs,, the majority of good dogs at trials was either Wheatens or SBTs, Bull terriers ware a rarity

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Carlovian said:

back in the day at trials, for every good Bull Terrier or bull terrier mix , there was 20 good or better SBTs,, the majority of good dogs at trials was either Wheatens or SBTs, Bull terriers ware a rarity

I think that’s a different ball game to be honest mate nothing against the trials but six minutes at a badger and finding catching and holding a 100 kilo pig 3 times in a row is not the same

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Do you think the trials were harder than pig hunting?   Or vice versa. I know nowt of either but find it interesting that dogs failed regular at trials but then the same breed makes awsome pig dogs, would love to know how a dog thought ?

I think you will find more dogs that will tackle a boar than you would that would meet a badger face to face. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Do you think the trials were harder than pig hunting?   Or vice versa. I know nowt of either but find it interesting that dogs failed regular at trials but then the same breed makes awsome pig dogs, would love to know how a dog thought ?

I don’t know what would be harder for the dog as I haven’t been to the trials my point was it’s different also I’m pretty sure the EBT of today is of a better standard than most I’ve seen at the trials

• Like 1

well .all I was saying the bull terriers in general ware not good enough ( game enough )  for trials ,, Iam sure size comes into it with Boar hunting , I doubt Bull terriers are any better than Dogos , American Bulldogs , or Pit bulls or bull lurchers at boar hunting , never seen any post a video of one on one, its usually 3-4 dogs on the boar