English Bull Terriers

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

10 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Without wishing to sound impolite i will never know why people allow little dogs like that to get so heavy its a massive strain on their joints.

To be fair some dogs are born fat.I have a chihuahua who was born fat and still is at 13,dieting makes little difference and to get her to a normal weight would mean starving her to death.Always been healthy though.

14 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

To be fair some dogs are born fat.I have a chihuahua who was born fat and still is at 13,dieting makes little difference and to get her to a normal weight would mean starving her to death.Always been healthy though.

Got a Russell bitch the same... She was also a fat pup come to think of it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Origins of the Staffordshire bull terrier
By Fred Phillips

The origins of the Staffordshire bull Terrier have never been told. Although books were written in the 1930’s none have ever given any description of the dog’s and bitche’s our present day dog have originated from. I know that a great deal of controvesy will start when I say; that in my opinion there was very little of the Bull Dog in the make-up of the Stafford. The only thing I think compares the Bull Dog to the Stafford is it’s courage. The old Bulldog’s were more like a Stafford than the present day Bull Dog, but it would be a NIGHTMARE to to-days Stafford breeder if his stock looked anything like a Bull Dog.

The Staffords head should be tight without wrinkle over both skull and foreface and without any sign of lippiness. A lippy dog, if fought,would be in risk of loosing half of his face in the first few seconds of any serious encounter.The essential thing is that a dogs appearance should convey his ability to do his rightful work.,even if he is never fought and only for the show.

The Bull dog’s mouth is undesirable for the Stafford and the prized flews of the Bull Dog are well and truly out when it comes to the Stafford. The dish face and down face, and the head without a stop, should also be avoided.

The White English Terrier, now extinct, had all the similarities of the Stafford, other than showing great strength and power for his size. The head was as clean-cut as the Staffords but not stronge enough or as deep through enough to fit a well balanced Stafford.The head resembled a wedge, were a Stafford should resemble a half brick.The skull and foreface of the English White Terrier were parallel, to each other, thus avoiding either dish or down face, and the stop of a Stafford should be deep as it determines the size and shape of the eye, which should be round and shallow. The foreign eye shapes appear to destroy the typical expression. Ears were small and rose shape, if they were large they were cropped.

The neck of the English was longer than the Stafford without the power needed. The old-timmers wanted a neck of reasonable length and great strength and demanded a crest of the neck. This permitted a wide range of vision without presenting a vulnerable target, and gave the Stafford a regal stance.

The front of a Stafford is of great importance. The legs must be set in line and squarley underneath the shoulders, with the rounded briscket lying snugly between them. The legs should be straight to the pasterns, with the feet turning out a little, this is to allow the dog to brace himself on being attacked and better able to resist being thrown, or bowled over, similar to a wrestler taking a stance. 

The structural efficiency was of great importance to two evenly matched Staffords.Many judges admire the great bredth of chest and shoulders and large head, without determing wether the exhibit is in balance and many broad fronted dogs have what is known as a Buul dog front with no breadth of rib- cage,and no indentation behind the shoulders into the ribs. The Stafford should be nothing like the Buuldog whose shoulders appear to be just tacked with the body slung between them.

Breeders to-day are trying to breed dogs like there terrier ancestors, not like the bulldog which they are supposed to have come from.The faults which are know so noticeable came from the bulldog,not the White English terrier,and I state that the top line should be level,another attribute that is totaly unlike the bulldog,who has a pronounced dip behind the shoulders with a roached back and stern higher than the shoulder.We do not want the straight stifle and hock of the bulldog. When the Stafford is veiwed from behind, the hind legs should be straight in line from hip to foot, again the shape of the terrier with the bone of the bulldog, and without the cowhocks, which were such a feature of the bulldog.

Nice bit of a read. 

Atb j 

• Like 1
On 12/08/2020 at 14:30, The drover said:

Always good to read people's views that hav actually owned one . Going by the replies , I think it's fair to say there are more poor EBTs now than good ones . Isn't it interesting how the Pakistanis have taken the breed forward.  However there doesn't seem to be a particular standard to the gull terriers 

Have they really taken them forward?They rate them bully kuttas that they breed but all the ones Ive personally seen have been complete bags of shit

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Got a Russell bitch the same... She was also a fat pup come to think of it ?

The blue and tan female lying down is the one born fat 13,the white is the mother 15,the brown and white the father 15.The bitch had to have a c section because the fat fck was stuck.They are all really healthy still,you wonder how long they can live.The vet commented that the blue pup will always be fat as soon as it was born.The Mrs calls them the three Amigo's.As said you can't get the weight off it,just the way it is.

IMG_E0209 (1).JPG

On 15/08/2020 at 18:54, jetro said:

Origins of the Staffordshire bull terrier
By Fred Phillips

The origins of the Staffordshire bull Terrier have never been told. Although books were written in the 1930’s none have ever given any description of the dog’s and bitche’s our present day dog have originated from. I know that a great deal of controvesy will start when I say; that in my opinion there was very little of the Bull Dog in the make-up of the Stafford. The only thing I think compares the Bull Dog to the Stafford is it’s courage. The old Bulldog’s were more like a Stafford than the present day Bull Dog, but it would be a NIGHTMARE to to-days Stafford breeder if his stock looked anything like a Bull Dog.

The Staffords head should be tight without wrinkle over both skull and foreface and without any sign of lippiness. A lippy dog, if fought,would be in risk of loosing half of his face in the first few seconds of any serious encounter.The essential thing is that a dogs appearance should convey his ability to do his rightful work.,even if he is never fought and only for the show.

The Bull dog’s mouth is undesirable for the Stafford and the prized flews of the Bull Dog are well and truly out when it comes to the Stafford. The dish face and down face, and the head without a stop, should also be avoided.

The White English Terrier, now extinct, had all the similarities of the Stafford, other than showing great strength and power for his size. The head was as clean-cut as the Staffords but not stronge enough or as deep through enough to fit a well balanced Stafford.The head resembled a wedge, were a Stafford should resemble a half brick.The skull and foreface of the English White Terrier were parallel, to each other, thus avoiding either dish or down face, and the stop of a Stafford should be deep as it determines the size and shape of the eye, which should be round and shallow. The foreign eye shapes appear to destroy the typical expression. Ears were small and rose shape, if they were large they were cropped.

The neck of the English was longer than the Stafford without the power needed. The old-timmers wanted a neck of reasonable length and great strength and demanded a crest of the neck. This permitted a wide range of vision without presenting a vulnerable target, and gave the Stafford a regal stance.

The front of a Stafford is of great importance. The legs must be set in line and squarley underneath the shoulders, with the rounded briscket lying snugly between them. The legs should be straight to the pasterns, with the feet turning out a little, this is to allow the dog to brace himself on being attacked and better able to resist being thrown, or bowled over, similar to a wrestler taking a stance. 

The structural efficiency was of great importance to two evenly matched Staffords.Many judges admire the great bredth of chest and shoulders and large head, without determing wether the exhibit is in balance and many broad fronted dogs have what is known as a Buul dog front with no breadth of rib- cage,and no indentation behind the shoulders into the ribs. The Stafford should be nothing like the Buuldog whose shoulders appear to be just tacked with the body slung between them.

Breeders to-day are trying to breed dogs like there terrier ancestors, not like the bulldog which they are supposed to have come from.The faults which are know so noticeable came from the bulldog,not the White English terrier,and I state that the top line should be level,another attribute that is totaly unlike the bulldog,who has a pronounced dip behind the shoulders with a roached back and stern higher than the shoulder.We do not want the straight stifle and hock of the bulldog. When the Stafford is veiwed from behind, the hind legs should be straight in line from hip to foot, again the shape of the terrier with the bone of the bulldog, and without the cowhocks, which were such a feature of the bulldog.

Nice bit of a read. 

Atb j 

A nice read but smacks of a showman justifying a breed standard. His points make sense but are relating to show points? The original work of the Stafford has long since been illegal of course so function over form has no relevance now regarding breeding but the physical faults listed by Mr. Philips would not necessarily prevent a dog from being a winner, outside of the show ring? The Fox Terrier has a head like an anteater due to the distance from occiput to stop needing to be less than the distance between stop and nose in order to protect the eyes when facing a fox. It probably made sense when they wrote the breed standard.

• Like 2

I came across this today when looking through some old mags. Off topic of the thread and of historical interest only of course but maybe of interest in regard to the bull types being used in fairly recent years in a working capacity? The breed listed as Bull Terrier I assume to be EBT. Not many listed. Interesting to me are the breeds listed in the "sounder" column. Nothing described as a Patterdale.  Not saying that Patterdales were not being used for proper work in the field at that time in Ireland though and the name itself was probably not in common use at that time in the UK or the Republic.

Scan_20200830.jpg

• Like 4
On 30/08/2020 at 20:36, eastcoast said:

I came across this today when looking through some old mags. Off topic of the thread and of historical interest only of course but maybe of interest in regard to the bull types being used in fairly recent years in a working capacity? The breed listed as Bull Terrier I assume to be EBT. Not many listed. Interesting to me are the breeds listed in the "sounder" column. Nothing described as a Patterdale.  Not saying that Patterdales were not being used for proper work in the field at that time in Ireland though and the name itself was probably not in common use at that time in the UK or the Republic.

Dont think the black dogs made an apearance in Ireland till the late 80s even then and into the 90s russels and borders were the terriers being used thats what was around here anyway in the midlands.

• Like 1