Making a huge mistake

Can't say I have made any life changing mistakes yet but I'm deffinately going to be making some life changing gambles in years to come. You can't live your life thinking 'what if?', if you're not happy you have to take that chance, just make sure it's after a very calculated decision process.

In 10-15 years I might be telling everyone to just be happy with what they have and not to take any risks in life, but that's something I'm going to have to learn through experience.

• Like 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was always told work to live,not live to work,atb wf

There has been a lot of study into the "if only factor" of our mental being and it is showing to play a great role in the fall in mental well-being. How many of us have been given a choice of somethi

Awrite blokes and blokettes   Well !   I have been working in the offshore oil industry for around 6 yrs now, after leaving the Nuclear power game a while back.   I had been kinda sheltered and

Posted Images

post-2078-0-42666600-1350815218_thumb.jpg

i.m in construction and wee do a lot of agricultural work. the work has never slowed down . there are six days a week every week for those that need it. the conditions can be terrible and the pay isnt great but its work.

i'm getting to old for heavy construction now. and its telling on me. i'm in my early fifties and will be fecked for this job before long. they have put the retirement age up now so what happens when i'm worn out . its ok for you office punters. you will still be out jogging when i'm fecked :laugh: i would like to find something a bit lighter now :yes: :yes:

There has been a lot of study into the "if only factor" of our mental being and it is showing to play a great role in the fall in mental well-being.

How many of us have been given a choice of something new in life and not taken it due to the fear of leaving our comfort zones then spent a lot of time thinking "if only", i bet there is not a man or woman on here who at one point has not had these regrets from one time or another.

Rake you seem to have taken the wrong path with your decision, but in reality you stepped out of your comfort zone and into something new, agreeably it wasnt what you where led to believe, but you took the initiative and returned to your previous employer, dare i say cap in hand at first for them to then reward you with an even better package than you where on before. Would they have given you the same deal had you just asked for it? probably not, the fact you left showed them your worth.

I know this would not be the case for everyone but the point is you tried it, you dont have the if only factor because you stepped out of your comfort zone and tried something new, good on you mate.

I spent 30 odd years making wrong decisions finally to make the right one :)

HE WHO DARES

• Like 5

looking back i fxxxed up years ago when i finnished in the pits.I got a start working on the overhead power lines 11kv woodpoles,after 4/5 months the firm i worked for moved more towards the lv side of it.The lad that got me the start didnt like the lv side of it and went off to do something else for the same firm,me and another lad went to work with some lads just out side oxford putting abc up,after a few week the the lad that got me the start turned up and said i had to go with him tree trimming that lasted a few weeks and he jacked for us all.The lad that stayed in oxford hasnt been out of work since

had a chance to work with a fella a few years ago it ment leaving my job im still in wish i had left and joined as he sold the buisiness to the new fella and hes doing great ,nice house ,car plenty cash by the seems of things .But if you dont take the risk how will you ever know ,wouldnt want to look back in years to come and regret it .

post-2078-0-42666600-1350815218_thumb.jpg

i.m in construction and wee do a lot of agricultural work. the work has never slowed down . there are six days a week every week for those that need it. the conditions can be terrible and the pay isnt great but its work.

i'm getting to old for heavy construction now. and its telling on me. i'm in my early fifties and will be fecked for this job before long. they have put the retirement age up now so what happens when i'm worn out . its ok for you office punters. you will still be out jogging when i'm fecked :laugh: i would like to find something a bit lighter now :yes: :yes:

true, i turned 60 in august and done heavy manual all my life, as said on the other thread fecked my back in 80 got out 98. But as you say anybody done these type of jobs , when you get to 55-60 it will tell on your body :yes: .And its ok for people in offices , they can work till 65-70, but no way in a manual heavy work, and not everybody can (just) change from 30-40 years doing 1 kind of work :yes: . Its going to be very hard for alot of people out there in the next 10 years :yes:

• Like 1

Its all easy when your free and single,I used to get a opportunity and jump at it with both feet,But once you have young kids it all gets a bit more serious, Ive toyed with going to Canada,but with the Mrs not being overly keen although she said shed go it was reluctantly it would be on my head......

Its all easy when your free and single,I used to get a opportunity and jump at it with both feet,But once you have young kids it all gets a bit more serious, Ive toyed with going to Canada,but with the Mrs not being overly keen although she said shed go it was reluctantly it would be on my head......

Do you have too take her....?.. :D
  • Like 1

I have always insisted on being treated with the same courtesy and respect that I show to people , I realised early on that this set me on collision course with the average boss and wasn,t conducive to a long happy 9 to 5 career , so I chose a different route , made a mess of it many times , had some good times and some bad times , but never had to swallow my pride .

Thank god I ,v reached that stage of my life where I don,t care wether I v got money or not ,

• Like 1

Why ?

What caused it ? and why was it worth it.

I fully realise that work plays second fiddle to family and actually being happy with what you do, but surely being comfortable at work should make you at least content ?? and make you put up with a lot ?? no ??

Funny i was brought up to believe that work was the main priority in life by perants who had never had it so good due to the nationilization of our main industries were hard dedicated workers were treat with respect i couldent handel the fact a building site manager threatand to sack an apprentice joiner for telling him he didnt have the time to wash his car then him threatning to sack me over a fekin empty pop can some one had left outside his office.

i was always told work to live,not live to work,atb wf

Yes mate i totally agree with that motto as its one i have adeared to despite being brought up by hard working perants who instilled the got to work at all costs mentality one of the reasons i went down the pit packing a bricklaying apprenticeship in despite my perants protests to work with mates down the pit who were into dogs and hunting a decesision i have never once regreted.

Worked for a small company for years now doing trace heating/ Insulation, worked with the owners of the comppany from the start and have watched the whole thing grow and grow and its doing very well! This ment I had to see just how much money me and the other two lads made for them, buying big houses nice cars ect all paid for by the company and as the years go on they do less and less work and expect more from us. I know that they own the company ect and fair play to them but I always get pissed of as we get put in alot of pressure to get the jobs done ect. Feeling like this has twice made me walk out but have always ended up back with them, this time though Im not letting it get to me and just going to get on with my own thing and not worry about it too much.

• Like 1

my biggest feck up was leaving a 26 grand a year job i enjoyed to move to durham 4yrs ago..

not had a proper job since ..

only bonus is im now living in a nice wee place with a nice wee family and theres no hunting ban here :laugh:

Worked for a small company for years now doing trace heating/ Insulation, worked with the owners of the comppany from the start and have watched the whole thing grow and grow and its doing very well! This ment I had to see just how much money me and the other two lads made for them, buying big houses nice cars ect all paid for by the company and as the years go on they do less and less work and expect more from us. I know that they own the company ect and fair play to them but I always get pissed of as we get put in alot of pressure to get the jobs done ect. Feeling like this has twice made me walk out but have always ended up back with them, this time though Im not letting it get to me and just going to get on with my own thing and not worry about it too much.

All about making greedy men richer

• Like 1